Coventry City under EFL pressure | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Coventry City under EFL pressure

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I read that Coventry are under pressure and the EFL have called an EGM for later this month to determine their future as there is an apparent running issue with their landlord/s at The Ricoh Stadium concerning their tenure for next season . Should Coventry not be able to confirm the ground arrangements for 2019/20, there is a possibility they can be expelled from League One. Will this be a potential advantage to a relegated team being able to maintain their League One status.
It is all early days, but interesting times, should it relieve relegation pressure for an Argyle opponent.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Last I read 4 or 5 other clubs had offered them groundshare. A poor substitute and, from memory, drew very poor support the last time (at Northampton?).

May 22, 2006
It would be a shame if they get expelled but this has been dragging on for years. A Coventry supporting friend was telling me that although Sisu (owners) are getting plenty of flack, they are wanting to sue the council. They had agreements pre Wasp ownership that are minuted with the council and are very agreived that promises were not honoured. This seems to be behind the lengthy situation.

Should the results get struck out for the season (probably highly unlikely), Argyle won and lost against them, so it would not make much difference to us. Would be interesting to see who benefits or loses out should it happen.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Greed and arrogance in the extreme are at the heart of this case.

Again its the true supporters that lose out, they played a season at Sixfields (which at the time only held 7600) and most weeks it was less than half full. They had offers from the likes of Nuneaton, but that really shouldn't be where a city the size of Coventry play football.

The football club assume the owners of the Ricoh need them, they have proved that they dont to survive financially, so its a massive game of poker of who blinks first.

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
I still find it hard to believe the EFL/PL don't get more flack over the way they claim stewardship of the game and yet their fit and proper persons test seems to let the charlatans in time and time again...

Just look at this season alone...Bolton, Blackpool Coventry Birmingham all under the hammer and all through the poor behaviour of their owners who have enriched themselves ( or tried to) at the expense of their club.....and the millions they pour in...all seem to loans at non commercial rates with no doubt some charge over assets so if the liquidators come calling guess who will get first dibs, many employing family members as either consultants or senior execs.

Then look at Charlton and their multi club owning chairman...Tony Fernandez and the various owners of QPR who seem to spend their life either pouring money in to gain the promised land or sacking managers..Derby haemorrhaging cash...all loaned by their owner to scrape into the top six...of the Championship!

Fans demand money as a price of ownership....then turn when the taps run dry ( Staplewallet anyone.....) well how did that 100 million in one close season for Fulham pan out?

I saw the Eisners enjoying their day out at Wembley with Pompous....I followed the takeover as it was a Fans Trust selling out to new owners and it is interesting that they seem to be espousing the same mantra as our chairman and his predecessor...self sufficiency in the medium to long term...and for those clubs outside the top six to ten in the PL I can't see there is a better way forward than that....if it means players moving on then so be it..there will be other players coming through to replace them....

Promotion and relegation are what make the league interesting and exciting...we aspire to one and fear the other....but without it what do we have ...the EPL with its four from six team shuffle at the top.....why do you think everyone enjoyed the Leicester City story so much...simply that it gave hope ( admittedly off the back of a billionaire owner who seems to have been the exception over the rule in the way he ran his club.)

So I hope the EFL don't punish Blackpool and Coventry fans for the misdemeanours of their owners, but instead look at themselves and find a way to make the league what it should be ...exciting and sporting....not a money making lottery for the corrupt and incompetent....

Phew...sorry about that :)

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
pafcprogs":99h571li said:
I still find it hard to believe the EFL/PL don't get more flack over the way they claim stewardship of the game and yet their fit and proper persons test seems to let the charlatans in time and time again...

Just look at this season alone...Bolton, Blackpool Coventry Birmingham all under the hammer and all through the poor behaviour of their owners who have enriched themselves ( or tried to) at the expense of their club.....and the millions they pour in...all seem to loans at non commercial rates with no doubt some charge over assets so if the liquidators come calling guess who will get first dibs, many employing family members as either consultants or senior execs.

Then look at Charlton and their multi club owning chairman...Tony Fernandez and the various owners of QPR who seem to spend their life either pouring money in to gain the promised land or sacking managers..Derby haemorrhaging cash...all loaned by their owner to scrape into the top six...of the Championship!

Fans demand money as a price of ownership....then turn when the taps run dry ( Staplewallet anyone.....) well how did that 100 million in one close season for Fulham pan out?

I saw the Eisners enjoying their day out at Wembley with Pompous....I followed the takeover as it was a Fans Trust selling out to new owners and it is interesting that they seem to be espousing the same mantra as our chairman and his predecessor...self sufficiency in the medium to long term...and for those clubs outside the top six to ten in the PL I can't see there is a better way forward than that....if it means players moving on then so be it..there will be other players coming through to replace them....

Promotion and relegation are what make the league interesting and exciting...we aspire to one and fear the other....but without it what do we have ...the EPL with its four from six team shuffle at the top.....why do you think everyone enjoyed the Leicester City story so much...simply that it gave hope ( admittedly off the back of a billionaire owner who seems to have been the exception over the rule in the way he ran his club.)

So I hope the EFL don't punish Blackpool and Coventry fans for the misdemeanours of their owners, but instead look at themselves and find a way to make the league what it should be ...exciting and sporting....not a money making lottery for the corrupt and incompetent....

Don't be sorry. It was a jolly good rant and you speak for the silent majority.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Sorry but we got punished with points deducted for having bad owners, the same should apply to other clubs otherwise we have been treated unfairly.

May 16, 2016
Re. The Northampton share, I asked a Cov mate why not do it again and he said that this time, they've been told they cant move out of the Coventry area. Seemed a bit unfair considering the alternative might be expulsion.

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
Guiri Green":svn63k2o said:
Re. The Northampton share, I asked a Cov mate why not do it again and he said that this time, they've been told they cant move out of the Coventry area. Seemed a bit unfair considering the alternative might be expulsion.

Again the EFL being even handed ...as with MK Dons and AFC Wombles...oh hang on.....

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
JannerinCardiff":14qwz6id said:
Sorry but we got punished with points deducted for having bad owners, the same should apply to other clubs otherwise we have been treated unfairly.

I can see your point....I do however think Blackpool and Coventry are exceptional cases...

Oct 20, 2015
Guiri Green":2lpgmox5 said:

I've been told the same, the 'solution' (finding a ground that will let Cov play there) has to be within a certain distance of city centre (5 mi? 10mi? Something like that). Hence Northampton can't help even if they wanted to, and let's face it, it wasn't a suitable 'fix' anyway, at 34 miles away.

On the face of it, it's an absolute tragedy that Coventry (the city) has a L1 club and an excellent stadium - but the club isn't allowed to use it.

As others have said I think the reasons are down to a dispute between owners Sisu and the council, I am not familiar with the history so I wouldn't like to single out one or the other as being at fault. I do hear a lot of grumbling about Sisu selling off CCFC assets though.

It is true that the EFL appears powerless to resolve the situation (again) and the fans stand to suffer/lose out (again) through no fault of their own - Coventry is a proud club with a strong following in my area, it's not like they are Franchise Dons or anything.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
pafcprogs":39vyz540 said:
JannerinCardiff":39vyz540 said:

I can see your point....I do however think Blackpool and Coventry are exceptional cases...

And they WILL be docked points if they go into administration but neither are likely to suffer that.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
pafcprogs":3o3u4qh0 said:

There is no test that the EFL could run on any potential new owner of a football club that could predict whether they are going to be a good custodian or a bad one.

Apr 1, 2009
JannerinCardiff":31dojt13 said:

We didn't get punished for having bad owners - if that was the case then there would be deductions every week! We were punished for going into admin.

Oct 20, 2015
Lundan Cabbie":woq7rr6m said:
pafcprogs":woq7rr6m said:

There is no test that the EFL could run on any potential new owner of a football club that could predict whether they are going to be a good custodian or a bad one.

I don't accept that. I agree that there is no test that they currently run today.

There is scope for a 'test' that involves previous record of business (bankruptcies etc), intentions for the club with sanctions if not met, board level appointments etc etc. The EFL could, and should, do a lot more.

If you were presented with the Oyston's previous record and then they offered you a 2nd-hand car - would you buy it?