Brief Synopsis!!! (Bristol Rovers)

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
1) Carey injured so Ness into the team but into what formation only Adams and the team would know before kick-off. Macey retained his place ahead of the returning Letheren. Letheren ousted Cooper from the bench and Ness' spot was taken by Fletcher.

2) Argyle lined up with a back 3 with Songo'o in the middle and a diamond with Fox at the base and Lameiras at the point, almost, but not quite, alongside Ladapo. Neither team managed to get a shot on target until the last minute of the first half when Macey made a fantastic one handed save.

3) Going forward we didn't really get a shot on target although a Riley cross went straight across the front of goal and just needed a tap in. Lameiras and Ness both fired over and wide, Sarcevic and Fox also saw shots go wide. Rovers won a number of corners but were too concerned about fouling Macey to make the most of them.

4) Argyle seemed to lack an edge going forward without Carey although Sawyer and Riley both found space. Ladapo made a couple of headers I'm not sure who was most surprised. Lameiras was tricky without being penetrating. At the other end Canavan had a mixed first half but Songo'o and Sawyer were there when needed.

5) Into the second 45 and Argyle dominated the early exchanges with a number of corners but couldn't finish them. Bristol Rovers finally broke and it took a headed clearance from Riley to clear at the back post. Riley's clearance eventually found Lameiras who played a one-two with Fox them planted it wide of the Rovers 'keeper to give Argyle a deserved lead.

6) Not long after the goal Riley went off injured briefly and later was replaced by Threlkeld. Argyle sat back and began to look leggy. Then out of nothing a Rovers player out muscled 3 Argyle players and put a great shot into the Argyle net to equalise. It didn't last long as Rovers put into their own net from an Argyle corner.

7) Argyle rode their luck as little. Rovers had a couple of half-time chances but couldn't find the target. Argyle looked good on the break but looked to pick the wrong options in the penalty area. Then with 5 to go Jones came on for Fox. Almost immediately Argyle gave away a free-kick in a dangerous area. Argyle cleared at the cost of a corner but they couldn't capitalise.

8 ) The final twist as 4 minutes of extra time was announced Rovers freaked a goal out of a cross. Good games for Fox, Ness, Sarcevic and Lameiras. Edwards and Songo'o looked solid. Ladapo did well off scraps but Sawyer was my man of the match.

9) I guess a draw suited both teams and like most match days gouging in from here results elsewhere will mean as much as they do in games we're involved in. I'd have taken a draw before kick-off but having led twice....

Matt Macey - 6
Joe Riley - 7
Ryan Edwards - 7
Niall Canavan - 6
Gary Sawyer - 8
Yann Songo'o - 7
David Fox - 8
Antoni Sarcevic - 7
Jamie Ness - 8
Ruben Lameiras - 8
Freddie Ladapo - 6

Kyle Letheren - unused
Lloyd Jones - 5
Ashley Smith-Brown - unused
Oscar Threlkeld - 5
Paul Anderson - unused
Ryan Taylor - unused
Alex Fletcher - unused

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
A further point clear of the drop, that is the most important thing. A pity as if we had held on we would have had one foot over the safety line.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Justin":3awwta24 said:
No mention of the Macey wonder-save?

Point 2 although I thought it may have gone in.

Feb 2, 2007
Every game is tough for every team now and there will be twists and turns. Be amazed if 53 points isn't enough to keep teams up so I'm optimistic.

Fair result I felt, two evenly matched teams, 2 excellent goals and 2 comedy. Never understand why we don't use all 3 subs, Sarc and Ness were on fumes at the end.

Ruben did very well but Fox and Eddy both had excellent games for me. Riley actually had one of his better games and he was integral cutting out a dangerous chance and setting up the attack that led to 1-0.

Macey knew little of his wonderful save as it hit his trailing leg. Deserved it though as he has some bad luck earlier in the season.

Rovers looked tidy and disciplined. Be very surprised if either go down.

Ref did generally well.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
BTW - it kicked off a bit in the tunnel between Adams and Coughlan. Adams was obviously unhappy about their 15 goading Argyle fans at the end and waited in the pitch to tell him so. Coughlan obviously took exception to Adams speaking to his player...

... and then they disappeared from view..

Jul 9, 2008
Plymouth
Dont think Mr Evan's was at the match. Macey's incredible save in 1st half stoppage time kept us in the game. No blame for equaliser from where I sat either. Will see on Quest this eve......

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Only one synopsis required.
Argyle would have won that game if Adams hadn't brought Jones on, gone to 6 at the back and basically asked Rovers to pump it into the box.
I'm not a religious man but I pray on a daily basis that some Scottish team see him as the answer. I've no idea what the question would be mind.
Also if you were having a good laugh at lobbing the ball away from the throw in taker have the intelligence to take it on the chin when you get ripped when they score. I'm afraid there was a certain karmic inevitability to the equaliser after that stupidity