Budget for next season article | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Budget for next season article

Jan 7, 2018
Has anyone else read the article https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/ ... ew-2644165

It gives me concerns about the board to be honest and reads like their eye isn't really on the ball. Surely it affects recruitment for next year now as in who your keeping an eye on etc.

And someone like reuben who's out of contract. I'm sure you can start talking to other clubs 6 months out. I just feel like Derek wouldn't of publicly mentioned it if he was happy. And I think we're putting obstacles in our own way especially since the gaffer likes to try and have the new lads in very very early.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I can’t see why we wouldn’t have a budget forecast for next season now. Even if they work it off worse case fugues whilst staying in L1 and another for L2 contingencies.

Some contracts needed sorting in January.

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
I thought the new improved prawn sandwich facilities are to produce additional income?

I know it will probably not be ready for the start of the season but it must have some positive benefit to next season's playing budget surely.

Even the basic back of a fag packet calculation by the board should be able to give the manager some idea of what he will have.

Oct 31, 2015
Yea I was worried by this a little. Surely brains that size know what DA can offer to Rubes and GC10 around the budget.

To be honest DA sounds a bit frustrated by it all as well.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
David_Fisher":3v3r62pz said:
I thought the new improved prawn sandwich facilities are to produce additional income?

I know it will probably not be ready for the start of the season but it must have some positive benefit to next season's playing budget surely.

Even the basic back of a fag packet calculation by the board should be able to give the manager some idea of what he will have.

I get the dilemma though. The place is going to have to be staffed and trained before the additional income starts coming in and how many staff are going to be required? 10, 15, 20, maybe more likely or a combination of part-time positions.

However using your fag packet calculation, ten full time positions being paid just the National Living Wage is roughly equal to one £3k per week footballer.

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
This is why they got the chap from Liverpool in. They will be working through income forecasts firstly without knowing the exact opening date and having to put in cost before income arrives. Not easy and many large conferences will book up a year ahead. They may need to profile the budget to account for cash flow challenges until it’s fully up and running. Do t know if they are separating out the conferencing/hospitality budget from the playing budget. Who knows? It’ll get sorted

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
David_Fisher":1njvxx65 said:

I would be amazed if DA has not had discussions with the players whose contracts he wants to extend. Why would he tell us?
The point is that, regardless of how keen he is to retain them, they will not sign a contract unless they are just as desperate to stay here. The players and their agents hold the trump cards and always have since the Bosman ruling.

May 16, 2016
I've no problem with a Player moving on for better wages, the Club can only afford so much and if it's all about the Money, then cheerio to the Player, thanks and good luck.

Moaning online and demanding a bigger budget is great but wont change much. Its cr8p, deal with it.

The Players have the power, complain that the Club hasn't fanfared an offer being made (even if it has), DA himself has said they generally wont commit until they've considered all their available options. In any auction there's usually a last minute +1 over your bid to complicate the issue.

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
[/quote]
I would be amazed if DA has not had discussions with the players whose contracts he wants to extend. Why would he tell us?
The point is that, regardless of how keen he is to retain them, they will not sign a contract unless they are just as desperate to stay here. The players and their agents hold the trump cards and always have since the Bosman ruling.[/quote]

This seems pretty clear from the Herald piece:

"Lameiras will be out of contract this summer and is sure to have plenty of suitors for his services.

However, Adams is not in a position to discuss a new deal with the 24-year-old Portuguese-born playmaker.

Adams told Plymouth Live: “I can’t do that to any player at this moment in time. I don’t have a budget to work with so I can’t go into any details with any players for next year.”

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
It does not matter when DA is told the budget he will still be shopping at pound stretcher.

Mar 17, 2018
Plymouth
I think we have to accept as mere fans that we'll never know what the budget is/isn't! I imagine that those in the know (ie the board and DA) are constantly looking at budget provision, adjusting and planning ahead and the titbits that get released to the Herald are just page fillers on any given day. We don't know what Bradley turned down last season or what Carey accepted to stay and given the delicate balancing act between player, agent, current performance, future potential, fitness, manager, club, family, board etc I doubt if we ever will know! In Derek we must trust.....

F

Frazer Lloyd-Davies

Whilst I too thought it was a little odd that budget hasn't been discussed yet, it always makes me chuckle when people moan about our budget.

If you as an individual earn £25,000 p/a take home, you have £25,000 to live on that year. The only way to spend more than £25,000 is to borrow additional funds or to earn more.

Therefore, if Argyle have £5m to spend, it doesn't matter what other clubs have or what you'd like their spending power to be. Argyle have the finances that they have and that's that. That's where the limit is. To increase our budget we can either borrow money or increase our income and to the club's credit they are investing in a means of increasing income.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
TBH this is farcical at this stage of the season.
I write a 5 year business plan, with a more detailed 1 yr business plan annually and I do it at least 3 months in advance as it can take up to a month to produce all the figures.

At the end of the day it my best guesstimate of the market and for 2019 I had 2 versions of it, with or without Brexit.

To think DA does not already have an upper and lower budget scenario would be complete madness but I guess the issue is the lower case scenario is probably not enough to keep the likes of Lameiras and GC10 and without exact figures he can't make a final meaningful contract offer unless the player will accept less than what they are already on.
Lameiras stock is still probably on the rise but with GC10 being older and towards the back end of his career his may have plateaued now.

Either way the players will be keeping their options open anyway and have all the power in this situation now which is the real issue for me.
No club in their right mind lets their best 2 players contracts run down so they can just go for no fee !!!
Complete incompetency IMHO

May 16, 2016
You could offer your best Players new Contracts 6 Months before they could go on a Free. They've then got 6 Months worth of bargaining chips for their Agents to tout around. Get them a better deal with a nice Signing on Fee.

Offer them more than they're on now, and it's highly likely they'll commit to nothing before the last few weeks. Maybe if it's a Guy with a settled family, School, house etc, he might go for it, but to suggest that the Club lets it run down through incompetency is a bit wide of the mark.