Impact on the city of our stadium up-grade | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Impact on the city of our stadium up-grade

I have a number of Luton Town supporting friends who are naturally excited about their new stadium plans. The BBC footy web site confirms that Luton Council passed the plans yesterday, and two things struck me. Firstly, with their history they could claim that a return to the Championship, and perhaps even the Premiership is a realistic goal, yet they are building a stadium with only a small increase on our own new capacity. Very sensible. More importantly, the council statement refers to the impact that the new stadium will have on visitors’ perception of the town of Luton, particularly with the conferencing and other facilities it will contain, again like us.

I think this is a very good point. When you visit new stadiums in previously very ordinary areas, (I’m thinking of Derby County, Cardiff, Newcastle, West Ham, amongst others), then it’s true that your perception of that part of the world changes for the better. Making a city appear more attractive is good for business, tourism and not least attracting new talent to our club, something which many feel has been a problem in the past.

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
mervyn":ek4p5o8o said:
I have a number of Luton Town supporting friends who are naturally excited about their new stadium plans. The BBC footy web site confirms that Luton Council passed the plans yesterday, and two things struck me. Firstly, with their history they could claim that a return to the Championship, and perhaps even the Premiership is a realistic goal, yet they are building a stadium with only a small increase on our own new capacity. Very sensible. More importantly, the council statement refers to the impact that the new stadium will have on visitors’ perception of the town of Luton, particularly with the conferencing and other facilities it will contain, again like us.

I think this is a very good point. When you visit new stadiums in previously very ordinary areas, (I’m thinking of Derby County, Cardiff, Newcastle, West Ham, amongst others), then it’s true that your perception of that part of the world changes for the better. Making a city appear more attractive is good for business, tourism and not least attracting new talent to our club, something which many feel has been a problem in the past.

I have to agree. I attended an event at Reading's Madjedski conference facility and it was very impressive. It does give a valuable positive impression. I grew up around that area and had a very different opinion when I left!

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
It will take more than a new football ground to change my view of Luton.

If the ground is on the outskirts of Luton and you never travel in or through it, i guess it might be possible to leave with the "Well it's not as bad as they make out" line.

Anything that avoids the town centre of Luton would get a thumbs up, its beyond saving.

May 8, 2011
The new ground is right in the town centre almost adjacent to the railway station so it could be said that most visiting fans won’t see very much of Luton.
Obviously people on trains travelling through will see a nice new shiny stadium and modern buildings instead of a piece of wasteland so their impression of Luton will be improved.

Sep 20, 2005
Stockholm
HC Green":24qbyvdb said:
The new ground is right in the town centre almost adjacent to the railway station so it could be said that most visiting fans won’t see very much of Luton.

No bad thing.

Voice_of_Reason":v46b3zcj said:

If the ground is on the outskirts of Luton and you never travel in or through it, i guess it might be possible to leave with the "Well it's not as bad as they make out" line.

Anything that avoids the town centre of Luton would get a thumbs up, its beyond saving.

I agree that Luton’s an ‘orrible place, but you shouldn’t write these places off. West Ham’s London stadium is smack bang in the middle of what used to be described as London’s ****hole,
a truly dreadful spot I used to be scared to walk through at night. Stratford City is now an amazing location with young people flocking to live there.

Oct 4, 2017
Think it's stretching it a bit to call Stratford amazing. Unfortunately I have to head over that way for work sometimes, stabbings galore and the shopping centre is a beacon for the local gangs to congregate.

I agree with your point on the new stadium and the benefits it can bring. Would love Argyle to become an integral part of the local business community by offering conference facilties etc

Aug 5, 2016
mervyn":19974qiz said:
Voice_of_Reason":19974qiz said:

I agree that Luton’s an ‘orrible place, but you shouldn’t write these places off. West Ham’s London stadium is smack bang in the middle of what used to be described as London’s ****hole,
a truly dreadful spot I used to be scared to walk through at night. Stratford City is now an amazing location with young people flocking to live there.

Amazing location? Are you having a laugh. The place is one of the most dangerous places in the country.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
I work in Stratford and I can confirm it is still a s**thole.

The Olympics site and the Westfield Centre just papers over the cracks.

There is also a real problem with homeless people in Stratford at the moment - it seems to have got worse in the last 12 months or so. You're lucky if you can venture into the smaller shopping centre in the mornings without falling over sleepers. All rather sad.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
I thought that too Gary!

When i do commute to London, i go through Luton (i have to visit via car too regularly as one of my best customers is based there) and its just a depressing place.

They need a new ground and have done for 30 plus years, i'm not a snob, loved Saltergate, love Griffin Park, but Kenilworth Road is the worst football experience anywhere. But i'm afraid unless its out of town it will do little for peoples view of the place.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
From what I’ve seen it looks like Luton’s new ground will be a massive driver of regeneration there.

That, and centrally located stadiums are ALWAYS better... even if it’s Luton :lol:

Well done to them, the plans look fantastic and much better than the standard retail park meccano sets.

Oct 16, 2016
Reading and Liton are in close proximity to London, Reading are utilised by a Rugby Union team as well as Reading FC.

There’s no comparison

Nov 3, 2006
TonbridgeGreen":2g5srq6h said:
Think it's stretching it a bit to call Stratford amazing. Unfortunately I have to head over that way for work sometimes, stabbings galore and the shopping centre is a beacon for the local gangs to congregate.

I agree with your point on the new stadium and the benefits it can bring. Would love Argyle to become an integral part of the local business community by offering conference facilties etc

I agree - as a whole, Stratford is still a dump.

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
Knibbsworth":j15sgidk said:
mervyn":j15sgidk said:
Voice_of_Reason":j15sgidk said:

Amazing location? Are you having a laugh. The place is one of the most dangerous places in the country.

Perhaps they could have relocated to Lutton?

Much nicer area! Reasonably simililar name (but different pronunciation), and with the big benefit of being too far away for many of their current feral mob - and a convenient away day for Argo fans!! :shifty: :scarf: