Brief Synopsis | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Brief Synopsis

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I think most keepers would have been caught out with the second, there isn't anything wrong with Letheren's starting position.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
themightykeithfear":1hihnt5f said:
I'll try and do one.

Very good performance, it wasn't a 2-3, the pen and worldy from the half line gave the scoreline a flattering look for the Shrimpers.

Letheren - 7 - would have been 8 but maybe a slight loss of concentration for their 2nd
Smith Brown - 7 - good covering and uses both feet but has to learn to head the ball, he just leans into the opposition
Sawyer - 8 excellent, so tidy and v rarely makes a mistake
Canavan - 7 v good actually a good passer of the ball and seems to be building a good understanding with edwards
Edwards - 7 same dominant in the air
Songo - 7 -was everywhere a frightening sight when hes hurtling towards you
Fox - 7 - solid sweeping things up and playing the simple passes when we turnover play
Sarcevic - 8 took his goal well and was at the heart of great moves , looks as fit as Ive seen him
Reuben - 9 - I love the guy , one twinkletoed dribble left a couple of Shrimpers on their backsides, took his goal well when everyone was waiting for a pen
GC10 - 8 a great afternoon for him involved in all our best moves, and anyone says hes leaving I don't believe it, he gives 5% more than anyone and I think was taken off cos he was so intense a red was possible
Freddy - 8 so much better than early in the season, his heading and hold up has come on leaps and bounds , took his goal well and could have had another couple

Green Army were quiet at first but loud after the first goal, some of the attacking football was a joy to watch, quick passing, triangles, movement, play like that every week and we'll finish nearer top than bottom

Thanks for the synopsis, great result, we’re really starting to play like a team.. :)

May 3, 2017
Cobi Budge":15nlp31a said:
I think most keepers would have been caught out with the second, there isn't anything wrong with Letheren's starting position.

Yeah I agree. I’ve watched it a few times now and it’s hard to place too much blame on Kyle. It was just a wonderful piece of awareness and execution by the young lad.

Mar 16, 2009
London
Brilliant team performance.
Totally in control.
Defended as a team right from the front, scintillating attacking quartet. Very confident display.
Letheren was very well protected and Southend had nothing of note on target except the goals. The second of which was the only blight. Not really Letheren’s positioning, more his disastrous miscalculation of its bounce. It was an easy one to save.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Not much to add except when the injured players are back I don't think they will get back in the team atm.

Still think we need a CB and another ST (what happened to Mo Eisa, is it still likely he will come?) though so hopefully that will happen before the window closes.

Ray Stidwell

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
Yes indeed, as above a great day for team & certainly also for The Green Army.
Great to see such confidence throughout the match; also, not a case of “ just beating a poor team”. Southend were not & showed some glimpses of ability, but were for the most part “ simply second best”.

A “shout” too for the Lino on our left-hand side. Fairly early into the match we were wondering how pies “ he had been fed” for each dodgy decision in Sarfend’s favour; then came that class chant” One more pasty & you’re dead!”
And of course a shout out for Oscar! Great to see him back!

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
JannerinCardiff":3b950awe said:
themightykeithfear":3b950awe said:
I'll try and do one.

Very good performance, it wasn't a 2-3, the pen and worldy from the half line gave the scoreline a flattering look for the Shrimpers.

Letheren - 7 - would have been 8 but maybe a slight loss of concentration for their 2nd
Smith Brown - 7 - good covering and uses both feet but has to learn to head the ball, he just leans into the opposition
Sawyer - 8 excellent, so tidy and v rarely makes a mistake
Canavan - 7 v good actually a good passer of the ball and seems to be building a good understanding with edwards
Edwards - 7 same dominant in the air
Songo - 7 -was everywhere a frightening sight when hes hurtling towards you
Fox - 7 - solid sweeping things up and playing the simple passes when we turnover play
Sarcevic - 8 took his goal well and was at the heart of great moves , looks as fit as Ive seen him
Reuben - 9 - I love the guy , one twinkletoed dribble left a couple of Shrimpers on their backsides, took his goal well when everyone was waiting for a pen
GC10 - 8 a great afternoon for him involved in all our best moves, and anyone says hes leaving I don't believe it, he gives 5% more than anyone and I think was taken off cos he was so intense a red was possible
Freddy - 8 so much better than early in the season, his heading and hold up has come on leaps and bounds , took his goal well and could have had another couple

Green Army were quiet at first but loud after the first goal, some of the attacking football was a joy to watch, quick passing, triangles, movement, play like that every week and we'll finish nearer top than bottom

Thanks for the synopsis, great result, we’re really starting to play like a team.. :)

True jic.

For me, 4 things have come to the fore that have improved our play.

Eddies enforced lay off - he has returned with a completely different mindset and, more importantly, he’s now “officially “ fully fit.

Ruben’s self belief and knowing where the onion bag is.

Freddie - as per Ruben.

Last but certainly not least - having Kyle between the sticks. He’s a very, very good communicator with his defence and it shows.

One more - any talk that DA has lost the changing room is bollox!

Just my thoughts.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Justin":1n502lt1 said:
Totally in control.
Defended as a team right from the front, scintillating attacking quartet. Very confident display.
Letheren was very well protected and Southend had nothing of note on target except the goals. The second of which was the only blight. Not really Letheren’s positioning, more his disastrous miscalculation of its bounce. It was an easy one to save.
totally agree with your last point.'twas an easy save to make and i think kyle would admit that.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Steve Evans":32yq2yn1 said:
Justin":32yq2yn1 said:
Totally in control.
totally agree with your last point.'twas an easy save o make and i think kyle would admit that.
Well we won so it didn't really matter.

Sep 20, 2005
Stockholm
ping_g5":g5ea4vxb said:
Looked to me that the wind got it

That was my first thought. The commentators mentioned the wind a few times and it looked from the way he was running, and the fact that the ball went the other side of him, that it got blown across.

Can’t believe I’m asking this but, can anyone that was there confirm if it was windy or not?

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
What a result and display. The best of the season by a long shot for me. This at a ground where we have only ever won 6 times in our history.
Starting line up was unchanged from the Oxford win. The team had clearly been working on harassing and pressing the opposition and winning the second balls.
The game started fairly evenly with no real chances in the 1st 15 mins. Then we started to impose ourselves on the game. Song'o was all over their midfield and Sarc, who I hadn't even noticed up to then, really used his upper body strength to good use and we got into them.
Their defender then made a mistake clearing a header and Sarc hit a low drive into the corner of the net for a very well taken goal from just inside the box. We deserved the lead. After that we just grew in confidence. Not really carving out any clear cut opportunities, but nonetheless we were dominating. They resorted to lumping long aimless balls to Cox, the short striker in the league.
Carey was off colour in the 1st half. Misplacing a lot of passes or flicks not coming off. No lack of effort though. We had another chance soon after I think Ladapo or Sarc, but for a superb last ditch tackle by their centre half.
Bang on 44 mins, Ladapo latched on to a through ball, not sure who from, and had a 1 on 1 with the keeper. Missed. Were we to
rue that? Half time and we fully deserved to be 1 up if not more. Letheren had very little to do. His kicking was huge and quite a few times went straight through to their No.1 (slight wind assist)
2nd half and no changes. They evidently had a rocket up their bums at half time and came at us. That lasted 4 mins! We cleared to Fox who then played a long ball in behind their defence and Ladapo got on the end of it, raced clear and finished very well into the far corner from the edge of the 6 yard box. 2-0 to us. Nothing less than we deserved.
We were in total control and it was then that Lamerias put on a show. He danced and waltzed past 5 or 6 of their players in a small space and we nearly scored again. Even the home fans were purring. Songo'o put a blast wide from around 25 yards out, If that had gone in....
Lamerias got his deserved goal after a bit of a scramble. Who cares how it went in, we were 3-0 up at one of our hoodoo grounds. Argyle fans loving it (all 580 of them) and singing "are we in a library?"
During the 2nd things were getting a little feisty. Pure frustration from them. Cox put a very poor challenge in on Sarc and Songo'o came charging in along with a few handbags. The ref, who was quite petty at times, then booked Cox and Sarc, who had no idea why he was booked. Hendrie got booked for the melee as well. Foxy got booked along with Dieng for them. Diengs was very cynical, taking Sarc out on a fast counter.
Then they scored a penalty. Now from where I was it looked like it was given for handball, if so then it was very soft as it was a shot come cross so surely ball to hand? The lino gave it not the ref. Sawyer had a long convo with the ref about it, so the Argyle players felt it was certainly harsh. Against Canavan I think.
Anyway, much to the home supports surprise Cox scored. Were we rattled? No. Then a 17 year old kid came on who the home faithful have very high hopes for. He made an immediate impact by skinning Ashley at RB. Then came goal of the season. The kid spotted Letheren off his line and lobbed him from the half way line. Brilliant. Were we rattled? No not really. We took the ball down to their corner and kept it quite well with Taylor replacing Ladapo (who milked the applause from the Green Army) also proving a point to the Southend lot.
They had one more cross put into our box where Canavan cleared it straight up into the air in a bit of a flap. The ball came back down with snow on it and then it was cleared properly. Final whistle.
A 2-3 win for us flattered them.
Letheren - 7 Not too much to do apart from pick the ball out of the net twice. He walked off the pitch chuntering to himself about that lob. Never looks good for a keeper.
Ashley S-B - 7 Thought he looked good. Came under a little more pressure when Kightly came on for them. Looking more comfortable at this level.
Sawyer - 8 The calming influence from Mr consistency. No fuss and simple. 1 boo boo in the 2nd half.
Canavan - 8 Assured and a big old unit! Dealt with Cox easily.
Edwards - 7 Likewise. Pace is an issue in the CB area still though.
Fox - 8 Played the quarterback role well today.
Songo'o - 9 MoM for me. He was winning everything. Put his head, foot in, arse, elbow. Not only that he played some lovely passes as well. His display was the platform.
Carey - 7 Contributed, worked and committed. A lot just didn't come off for him though. Got taken off as he was simmering, again.
Sarc - 9 It was either him or Songo'o for MoM. He was superb as well. Always pressing, harrying. Great to watch.
Lamerias - 8 He worked his socks off. Only once he didn't track back and got a proper rollocking for it. When he goes on one of his runs it's just a joy to watch. Deserved his goal.
Ladapo - 8 He is playing with a big smile on his face. It shows in his football. Missed a sitter but still took his other opportunity. Southend fans say he looks totally different physically. Lean, powerful and dynamic. That surely has to be down to DA and the management team.

Taylor - N/A
Jephcott - N/A

One thing I noticed was how much the bench were shouting at the boys to get to the 2nd ball. Also at Lamerias to press, get into position and cover. You can see why he frustrates as well as endears at the same time. I noticed DA get very animated twice. Once in the 1st half at ASB for not offering to go short for Letheren and covering. Also in the 2nd half at Edwards who wasn't communicating to the midfield or others around him. He chuntered back to DA, which went down like a lead balloon!

A great win and a great performance. I'm one very happy Green.

Sep 10, 2010
Eastbourne
Lobster":wdoco4mx said:
ping_g5":wdoco4mx said:
Looked to me that the wind got it

That was my first thought. The commentators mentioned the wind a few times and it looked from the way he was running, and the fact that the ball went the other side of him, that it got blown across.

Can’t believe I’m asking this but, can anyone that was there confirm if it was windy or not?

Yep, was windy and blowing towards Letheren in the 2nd half so in my view it played a part in that goal.

Overall, our players effort and will to win was way above that of Southend players. Really felt to me like the goals we conceded were out of the blue and not reflective of how much better we were. I'm certainly encouraged after this game.