Sunderland 'Til I Die | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Sunderland 'Til I Die

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
For the past two evenings I have watched back-to-back episodes of what I consider to be the most fascinating and gripping of football fly-on-the-wall documentaries. Sunderland ’Til I Die (STID) - currently aired on Netflix - is a warts-and-all journey through Sunderland’s 2017/2018 season in the Championship and I am sure that no one reading this post will consider it to be a spoiler if I reveal that it concluded with the Black Cats running out of lives and being relegated. What a result for the documentary makers, though! I have no doubt that the project was undertaken in the expectation that the ‘fallen giant', just relegated from the Premier League, would be pushing for promotion back into the promised land. They surely had no idea that their agreement with the club for ‘access all areas’ would have provided such a wealth of drama, pathos and car-crash viewing in what proved to be a further slip into the abyss of league football - the dreaded League One! If you haven’t seen it yet I urge you to do whatever it takes to access what I feel is the best football documentary I have ever seen.

BUT, from an Argyle perspective I have to admit that it put the fear of God in me! For me, comparisons with all things Home Park are impossible to avoid when seeing, watching, reading or thinking about any football related subject. And the parallels in STID were spookily similar to our own ignominious demise following relegation from the Championship a few years ago. Like Sunderland, we had financial difficulties (understatement!) related to a wage bill out of kilter with our new surroundings and, also like Sunderland, this resulted in a second successive relegation. There the similarities cease, however. I know everything in life is relative - even more so at different levels in the world of football - but some of the information revealed in STID was eye-wateringly staggering. The financial numbers being bandied about by the Sunderland CEO made any comparison with Argyle laughable. It was like comparing the most expensive Dom Perignon champagne with a magnum of Prosecco from Lidl (other supermarkets are available).

Apart from the actual infrastructure of Sunderland AFC - the 49,000 state-of-the-art stadium with the entrance halls, backstage offices, kitchens etc looking like they should be in a five-star hotel, the vast training grounds with nail-scissor-manicured pitches, the treatment rooms that would not be out of place in a Harley Street clinic - the money associated with the business of football was the most jaw dropping. I was still drooling with thoughts of what Argyle would be like with this financial background, so I might have missed the actual figures involved but the CEO, when being asked about the impact that relegation from the Premiership had had, said something about instead of ‘earning’ £100 million, they would only get £40 million in the Championship. Thinking of Argyle and the sacrifices and penny-pinching that have involved the outlay of a ‘mere' £6 million on building a complete stand I nearly rolled around the carpet wetting myself at the CEO's earnest and pained expression when using the word ‘only’. And then there were the wages. A lot of play was made of Jack Rodwell, who had been signed on a reported £70,000 a week, five-year contract. Someone must have thought that to be a good idea at the time but had not considered writing in a release clause in the event of relegation. Thus, Rodwell was shown as some recalcitrant bogeyman who wasn’t particularly interested in turning out for Sunderland on a Saturday afternoon but, funnily enough, was quite prepared to sit tight and count down his contract as the limitless tenners floated down around him, unceasingly. It had me in mind of those Argyle players on ‘long term’ contracts during the administration months. Thankfully, a lot of them were prepared to ‘do the decent thing’ and negotiate a settlement that didn’t bite the hand that had previously fed them.

The most terrifying thought, however, was how the money spilling around the Championship (and the seeming necessity of being bankrolled in order to compete there) bears as much of a resemblance to Argyle’s financial muscle as a manned flight to Pluto. In a deeply depressing insight I realised that as things stand now (and, admittedly, they could change for the better - possibly?) we wouldn’t have a snowball’s chance of competing on equal financial terms with the likes of Villa, Derby, Leeds, Forest, Rangers, the Sheffields etc etc. - even if we were to storm League One. In the earlier stages of my Argyle life the holy grail was always considered to be the top flight (the First Division) and it was tantalisingly (and fleetingly) a possibility under the guidance of Dave Smith and even Holloway. At that time our natural and relatively comfortable surroundings appeared to be the second tier. Sadly, we now seem to have settled for the norm being the third tier (hopefully!) with as much likelihood of successfully competing at the next level up as I used to dream about as a younger man. Still, never mind, I shall be out there on Saturday cheering on my team against the might of Accrington Stanley and thinking that things could always be worse...

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Only way for a small team like Argyle to compete in the Championship these days is to move up the leagues with a youngish squad on decent contracts so the team gets better as they all mature. We can compete financially buying players in but at the same time we don't offer decent contracts or promote the youth.

If we ever got to the championship again we would be a yo yo club but at the moment we are more like a yo yo club between Div 3 & 4 which is under achieving IMHO

Very interesting read. Thank you. Your final comments bring home the fact that love of one’s club is totally unconditional, and the selection of that club is all down to the fickle hand of fate. I guess most Argyle supporters are West Country folk, and Argyle were the only and obvious choice. Once made that choice is stuck with you for life, and I agree that third tier football will probably remain our natural home.

Funnily enough, coming from the South East I don’t envy my Arsenal, Tottenham and West Ham supporting friends and family. OK, they enjoy better quality football in posher surroundings, but I honestly believe my Argyle memories over 35 years match theirs. We’ve had more promotions over that time than they have won leagues or cups, and they have never (except for West Ham) experienced the joy of rising again after a relegation.

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
Indeed. As I posted on another thread, they are set to break the L1 attendance record on Boxing Day vs Bradford with about 40k tickets already sold! :crazy:

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
mervyn":1be50ygo said:
Very interesting read. Thank you. Your final comments bring home the fact that love of one’s club is totally unconditional, and the selection of that club is all down to the fickle hand of fate. I guess most Argyle supporters are West Country folk, and Argyle were the only and obvious choice. Once made that choice is stuck with you for life, and I agree that third tier football will probably remain our natural home.

Funnily enough, coming from the South East I don’t envy my Arsenal, Tottenham and West Ham supporting friends and family. OK, they enjoy better quality football in posher surroundings, but I honestly believe my Argyle memories over 35 years match theirs. We’ve had more promotions over that time than they have won leagues or cups, and they have never (except for West Ham) experienced the joy of rising again after a relegation.

Can't disagree with any of that, Mervyn, but you've raised a point (highlighted) that I have never really considered in all my Argyle years. We have probably provided more hope and optimism (alongside the times of despair) with our yo-yoing then the average 'top six' fan will see in a lifetime. Your average Gooner or Red will only ever experience the telescopic emotions of battling out half a dozen places a season and wondering how many cups and trophies they will win. Yawn! At the risk of sounding self-delusional I am far happier following a 'real' team with hopes and dreams WAY in excess of what is within the reach of the big boys. Thanks for that! :thumbup:

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I think Sunderland currently have wages on staff of £83m in L1. How are other clubs supposed to compete if the next best is around £10-11 million.

Apr 9, 2011
Very interesting blog. It just confirms my long held opinion the Championship has altered beyond all belief from when we were last there & where once we were a yo yo club between the second & third tier now we are destined to yo yo between third & fourth regretably this is a fact of life we are going to have to accept

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
phil-thefluter24":mmkpx45i said:
Very interesting blog. It just confirms my long held opinion the Championship has altered beyond all belief from when we were last there & where once we were a yo yo club between the second & third tier now we are destined to yo yo between third & fourth regretably this is a fact of life we are going to have to accept

.. under current ownership. Some small clubs have got bigger, I still believe Argyle have the potential to be a decent sized championship club, we just need an owner with ambition.

May 16, 2016
JannerinCardiff":2aykvyef said:
phil-thefluter24":2aykvyef said:

.. under current ownership. Some small clubs have got bigger, I still believe Argyle have the potential to be a decent sized championship club, we just need an owner with ambition.

.......or rather, one with a lot of disposable income they're prepared to throw at it.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Exactly.

Daft comment JIC.

Look at the figures, look at the data, you have to be mad, to chuck money like that at PAFC.

Sad fact, IF we get in the CCC it'll be a very short visit in my view.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
IJN":2ga730c2 said:
Exactly.

Daft comment JIC.

Look at the figures, look at the data, you have to be mad, to chuck money like that at PAFC.

Sad fact, IF we get in the CCC it'll be a very short visit in my view.

Are Coca Cola on their way back? ;)

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Crazily Costly Championship.

What's Coca Cola got to do with it?

Gloucester Green

Cream First
♣️ Shire Greens
Sep 18, 2010
Gloucester
I enjoyed the series but feel it actually dragged out little information over a long period of time in that the episodes werent detailed enough for my liking

The Jack Rodwell saga should've been given some more time and detail instead of making him look more merciful than he is. I liked Grayson and feel that he was set upon by the fans and board without much depth. Appeared to make Coleman the popular manager yet let him down with the altercation with the fan outside the ground

Big club, big town, big support but failed by their owner and the egos at the club

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
The financial gap is only going to get bigger and bigger. Some clubs will financially collapse in the process. Other traditional clubs will be shifted out of the football league in place of the bank rolled Salford et al.

Some people don't think the B team boycott is worthwhile, and that the money is valuable. But relying on Prem handouts for the sale of dignity is a dangerous game to play in the long term. Clubs just voted in favour of retaining the current format of that comp by the way, despite fans making it clear that it's unliked. Fans aren't important or valued as much by clubs anymore it seems. Will Argyle announce how they voted?