Thoughts on Sonny Bradley? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Thoughts on Sonny Bradley?

Aug 4, 2018
Exotic Birmingham
With the game coming up against Luton, I saw talk about Sonny on an Argyle fan social media page, and everyone was calling him a traitor and a snake for leaving. Yeah, I'm not Luton's biggest fan but it suprised me to see so many people angry at him for leaving

What's the general consensus? It is social media so of course they're all negative a***holes but isn't it a bit far to call him a snake after all he did for us?

Oct 14, 2015
Don't think he's a snake at all. I think majority of fans are angry not that he left but the fact the club appeared not to make to much effort to keep him and considering the problems we have had defensively this season has compounded that anger.

That said I have no idea what offer they did make but clearly Luton offered more ...

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I honestly believe that Canavan will prove to be a better player.

Perhaps that was the thinking behind letting Sonny go.

Aug 5, 2015
Players come. Players go. Bit surprised where he ended up but so what. At least it wasn’t Exeter! They were able to cross his palm with silver, we couldn’t or wouldn’t. Most of the current squad probably won’t be here in a couple of years. Nothing to get excited about really.

Jan 20, 2004
He's a journeyman footballer eking out a living in lower league football, who can blame him for trying to get the best deal he can in the short period of time he has to do so.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I might be wrong but I think he left for the better wages that Luton offered, But I think he would have stayed if he was offered a better deal.

IMO He’d still be in our 1st XI if he’d have stayed.

Aug 5, 2015
Maybe but Luton were prepared to sign him for £250K last January. They got him for nothing, could afford to give him a 100K to sign and still be ahead of the deal! Do you honestly think we could and should have competed with that for a slightly above average player?

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Him pumping the badge and shouting "I'm not leaving" at Oxford doesn't sit well with me but nonetheless he as a great servant and player for us so deserves our respect for that.

Aug 2, 2011
Players have a relatively short period of time to maximise their income from the game. L1 and L2 players are hardly making millions with the potential of not having to work again like some premier players.

We do not know what the club offer was and therefore it is disingenuous to either slate the club or indeed the player. The cub has a responsibility to manage its budget prudently and the player the responsibility to do what is in his and his families best interests.

It is incredibly wet behind the ears to believe players have the same shared values and commitments to a club that supporters have.

The standard pumping/kissing the badge means nothing what counts as it does for most people is the bank account.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Don't really care to be honest. I believe that if he stayed he would have become captain & perhaps gone on to claim a real club status, but he didn't, and we move on. Just an opposition player.

Jul 7, 2008
Plymouth/Bristol
The guy played exceptionally well for us and had direct influence over leaving the club in a better place than when he found it.

I've got absolutely zero issue with him, even if he did go for the money. A vast majority of people likely would've done what he did.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Absolutely zero problem at all. Wonderful player for us and wish him well, but agree with Ian that clearly DA saw more in Canavan, hence the (presumably) lowish wage offer.

It’s certainly way harder to replace a Carey than it is to replace an - admittedly very good - tall, commanding centre back.

And I wish people would stop the stuff about ‘why would you want to live in Luton?’. He could conceivably live within about 2 hours of their training ground, which covers most of south and central England.

Apr 13, 2006
Plymouth
From a source who I have little reason to doubt, Sonny was offered 2.5k and 3 year deal by Argyle and Luton offered 3 years at 4.5k. Big difference for a lower league player.
If anyone here was offered an 80% pay rise would they say no?

Aug 5, 2016
People have absolutely no idea about his circumstances and his contract offers.

He did nothing Nelson, Hartley and McHugh didn't do, and that was accept a more desirable offer elsewhere.