Best Argyle game EVER | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Best Argyle game EVER

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
My all time fav was West Brom 2-5 Argyle, Steve Castle scoring best hat-trick I’ve ever seen live. All if the 50 Argyle fans in the away end were all doing the conga !!!

Aug 4, 2011
JannerinCardiff":17m2oxde said:
My all time fav was West Brom 2-5 Argyle, Steve Castle scoring best hat-trick I’ve ever seen live. All if the 50 Argyle fans in the away end were all doing the conga !!!
Game after we’d lost 0-3 at home to Exeter

Tynan One Nil

🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 23, 2013
JannerinCardiff wrote
“Game after we’d lost 0-3 at home to Exeter”

Lucky enough to be one of the 50! One of those games you go to out of loyalty expecting nothing,but then come away rewarded with a famous win,with goals to match - a good away day.

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
I can go along with the...."game you go along to out of loyalty, expecting nothing"......January 1967 at the Old Den against unbeaten at home for 59 games Millwall. We had the worst away record in the league (2pts) and won 2-1 and then smuggling myself out of a very hostile place after the final whistle.

C

centralgreen

Bristol City @ home when we won promotion mid week. The ground was rammed.

Charlton away, the first season following there relegation from the premiership.

The last minute winner away to Watford the season after they were relegated from the Prem.

Aug 5, 2016
Princerock":36wt5qhg said:
I can go along with the...."game you go along to out of loyalty, expecting nothing"......January 1967 at the Old Den against unbeaten at home for 59 games Millwall. We had the worst away record in the league (2pts) and won 2-1 and then smuggling myself out of a very hostile place after the final whistle.

I read about it recently in Eamon Dunphy's autobiography. He described the rioting after the game and the intense hostility of the home supporters. It must have been genuinely terrifying.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Knibbsworth":2gzd50eb said:
Princerock":2gzd50eb said:

I read about it recently in Eamon Dunphy's autobiography. He described the rioting after the game and the intense hostility of the home supporters. It must have been genuinely terrifying.
I have spoken to three or four of the players involved and it beggars belief how close they came to serious injury (or worse). Harley Lawer too was on the coach that was completely wrecked. I suspect that if you conduct an internet search the incident will be well documented. Curiously enough, six years earlier Argyle had entertained Huddersfield in a match refereed by future Sports Minister (and 1976 Minister for Drought) Denis Howell. One fan threw one beer bottle at the hapless Howell who was giving the worst performance from a referee I have ever seen. From recollection it missed and the thrower was never caught. But the FA took a serious view and shut our ground for two weeks, leading to Argyle playing their home game with Alf Ramsey's Ipswich at Plainmoor. It has always been a mystery to me why the FA/Football League did not take punitive action against Millwall.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
memory man":vplov4xi said:
Knibbsworth":vplov4xi said:
Princerock":vplov4xi said:

I have spoken to three or four of the players involved and it beggars belief how close they came to serious injury (or worse). Harley Lawer too was on the coach that was completely wrecked. I suspect that if you conduct an internet search the incident will be well documented. Curiously enough, six years earlier Argyle had entertained Huddersfield in a match refereed by future Sports Minister (and 1976 Minister for Drought) Denis Howell. One fan threw one beer bottle at the hapless Howell who was giving the worst performance from a referee I have ever seen. From recollection it missed and the thrower was never caught. But the FA took a serious view and shut our ground for two weeks, leading to Argyle playing their home game with Alf Ramsey's Ipswich at Plainmoor. It has always been a mystery to me why the FA/Football League did not take punitive action against Millwall.

They probably thought their Lancaster Gate HQ would go up in flames! It takes me back, as I passed it every day going to Lancaster Gate Tube station in order to get to work for 12 months.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
I never have a problem with nominating my best ever game. The 3-0 victory over West Ham in the third round of the FA Cup on 6 Jan 1962. Their left half was a young man who was 5 months away from a World Cup debut in Chile that he could never have expected - one Robert Frederick Chelsea Moore. Their right half, who was playing his 40th first team game with each of them having been as a wing-half. He was just over 5 years away from his own World Cup sensation. It was Geoff Hurst. Argyle were absolutely scintillating that day, playing a brand of one and two touch football that Shilton's best side would have been proud of. Argyle were better in every position and 3-0 did not flatter them. Indeed, a fourth goal from Johnny Williams was disallowed for offside - it would have been the best of them all had Wilf Carter not strayed offside.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Tynan One Nil":wsxz7nr3 said:
JannerinCardiff wrote
“Game after we’d lost 0-3 at home to Exeter”

Lucky enough to be one of the 50! One of those games you go to out of loyalty expecting nothing,but then come away rewarded with a famous win,with goals to match - a good away day.

Totally agree!

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Beating Leeds 6-3, 1987 I think.

Aug 5, 2015
Surprised no ones mentioned the semi final game at Villa Park but for me it’s the home game against Fulham over Christmas 1975. Argyle 4nil up at halftime and a certain Mr R Moore being given the runaround by Mariner and Rafferty. So much so he was subbed at halftime. There was talk of too much Christmas cheer being involved but who cares!