Defending corners | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Defending corners

Jun 2, 2016
Our tactic seemed to be to have Moore on the near post and Ladapo 3 or 4 yards out as the ball comes in.
Then if the ball was going past the near post Moore would run across the line behind Macey to the back post, and Ladapo would backtrack onto the near post. All this as the ball comes in.
2nd goal went past Ladapo as he wasn't set properly and in the 2nd half he got one stuck under his feet from a similar scenario.
Really?
If both posts are worth defending why don't we just do that from the start.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
I had to laugh at someone sitting behind me yesterday who, early in the second half, had a rant at the fact we were bringing everyone back for corners.

It's not as if we'd already conceded twice directly from a set piece in the first half or anything...!

Our fans' intelligence is almost as bad as our team's defending of set pieces.

Jun 2, 2016
I'd like to see Ladapo half way inside our half from corners. Just in case the keeper catches it and we fancy testing their defenders speed v our fastest player. And also to have someone to challenge if the ball is cleared upfield.
But moving players between posts as the ball is crossed? Crazy.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Yeah Ladapo needs to be up front at corners, we need someone who can hold the ball up to counter attack when we get the ball back.

Anyone see Kane defending against Spain.. he started 2 moves that led to goals direct from Pickford’s kicks. Or maybe DA doesn’t trust Macey to be able to kick a ball to Ladapo..

Oct 31, 2015
Dan Ellard":3sqz096k said:
I had to laugh at someone sitting behind me yesterday who, early in the second half, had a rant at the fact we were bringing everyone back for corners.

It's not as if we'd already conceded twice directly from a set piece in the first half or anything...!

Or your intelligence mate.

Put someone in the centre circle and tge opposition will have 2 back and another sat between the penalty area and halfway line.

Making the pen area less crowded. The reason they scored 3 and nearly 4 from crosses was because someone was not doing their job of marking their man and not because 11 green shirts are rammed in the area.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
rsp4":2y409txg said:
Dan Ellard":2y409txg said:

Put someone in the centre circle and tge opposition will have 2 back and another sat between the penalty area and halfway line.

Making the pen area less crowded. The reason they scored 3 and nearly 4 from crosses was because someone was not doing their job of marking their man and not because 11 green shirts are rammed in the area.
You think having a more crowded penalty area makes it easier for an attacker to score?

Ok...

Oct 31, 2015
Dan Ellard":3fxy6nqe said:
rsp4":3fxy6nqe said:
Dan Ellard":3fxy6nqe said:

You think having a more crowded penalty area makes it easier for an attacker to score?

Ok...

Exactly.

But we are not intelligent :)

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
rsp4":13vhf8y3 said:
Dan Ellard":13vhf8y3 said:
rsp4":13vhf8y3 said:
Dan Ellard":13vhf8y3 said:

Ok...

Exactly.

But we are not intelligent :)
I don't even.

Tell you what, let's leave 10 up at corners, that'd make it impossible for the opposition to score...

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Dan Ellard":1ucx40is said:
rsp4":1ucx40is said:
Dan Ellard":1ucx40is said:

Ok...

If you normally leave a player or two up when defending a corner, then maybe keeping them back might cause confusion over who was marking who and make it easier for the opposition to score. In our case though, I agree with Dan. Keeping 11 back to defend is something we always do so we should be well drilled in who does what.

May 28, 2015
JannerinCardiff":pqq2p3hd said:
Yeah Ladapo needs to be up front at corners, we need someone who can hold the ball up to counter attack when we get the ball back.

Anyone see Kane defending against Spain.. he started 2 moves that led to goals direct from Pickford’s kicks. Or maybe DA doesn’t trust Macey to be able to kick a ball to Ladapo..

Plus ladapo cant hold the ball up

May 28, 2015
We had this problem last season and it was all sorted out when we switched to the zonal system with threlkeld Bradley sawyer and Taylor marking the 6 yard line. Not sure why we switched from it unless the staff dont feel we have enough dominance in the air to be able to do it. Ladapo cant head a ball so with Edwards grant and songo theres only 3 players in the team you could really give the roles too

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
11 men in the box and they still score 3 times.

Even when they don't there is no relief, the ball just comes straight back.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
In my opinion Derek's most infuriating tactic is defending corners.

11 men in the box, while improving the probability of the ball landing with an Argyle player, does nothing but guarantee either a goal, goal kick, another corner or the ball coming straight back into the box as there's no outlet.

It's made worse when the players slowly jog out of the box when Macey has the ball in his hands (assuming he catches it). The only ones who seem to want to restart quick is Reuben and Carey.

Leave at least one man up and it gives us an outlet, put Reuben there, as the shortest he's unlikely to get the header and as one of the more trickier players will have a good chance of getting at the opponent's keeper.

Oct 31, 2015
Willis88":2osblrv9 said:
In my opinion Derek's most infuriating tactic is defending corners.

11 men in the box, while improving the probability of the ball landing with an Argyle player, does nothing but guarantee either a goal, goal kick, another corner or the ball coming straight back into the box as there's no outlet.

It's made worse when the players slowly jog out of the box when Macey has the ball in his hands (assuming he catches it). The only ones who seem to want to restart quick is Reuben and Carey.

Leave at least one man up and it gives us an outlet, put Reuben there, as the shortest he's unlikely to get the header and as one of the more trickier players will have a good chance of getting at the opponent's keeper.

Yes yes yes someone talking sense :)

From yesterday who was supposed to be marking their no5 and no10 at corners because who ever it was wasnot briefed such befote the game