Hallett, Brent and Dunford | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Hallett, Brent and Dunford

Mar 14, 2009
My problem is that if Adams is sacked who has the know how to pick the right person for this football club.

Simon Hallett will be a chairman that seemingly will not be hands on because he won’t be based in this country.

I think with James Brent reign being almost over it seems ludicrous to think with weeks away from handing over control of the club that he would be sack Adams as he steps down. He also would need help, just like Simon Hallett in identifying managerial targets.

Micheal Dunford is successful. What in? As a failure at clubs before us as CEO. Why would you trust him to pick the right manager at our club when his recent track record is as bad as it is.

Adams leaving Argyle is only the tip of the iceberg. The problem is do we have the right infrastructure in place behind the scenes to identify and recruit the right type of manager for this football club?

I’m worried that this club has somehow lost its way so quickly both on and the field. Where is the good track records in football management in the boardroom. It’s ok deciding to be diverse and give opportunities to be on the Argyle board but surely the fundamental most important thing should be having people in charge and on the board who know how to steer the good pilgrim ship safely.

I’m sorry but currently l don’t see the expertise to fall back on in situations like these.

Unfortunately, it feels rudderless.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Metal_Green_Mickey":3nxr8fxs said:
My problem is that if Adams is sacked who has the know how to pick the right person for this football club.

Simon Hallett will be a chairman that seemingly will not be hands on because he won’t be based in this country.

I think with James Brent reign being almost over it seems ludicrous to think with weeks away from handing over control of the club that he would be sack Adams as he steps down. He also would need help, just like Simon Hallett in identifying managerial targets.

Micheal Dunford is a successful. As a failure at clubs before us as CEO. Why would you trust him to pick the right manager at our club when his recent track record is as bad as it is.

Adams leaving Argyle is only the tip of the iceberg. The problem is do we have the right infrastructure in place behind the scenes to identify and recruit the right type of manager for this football club?

I’m worried that this club has somehow lost its way so quickly both on and the field. Where is the good track records in football management in the boardroom. It’s ok deciding to be diverse and give opportunities to be on the Argyle board but surely the fundamental most important thing should be having people in charge and on the board who know how to steer the good pilgrim ship safely.

I’m sorry but currently l don’t see the expertise to fall back on in situations like these.

You make some good points here but could you edit para 4 as the first sentence doesn't quite make sense. For the record, I did not find myself either warming to or being impressed with Michael Dunford when I listened to him at SG recently. Cannot put my finger on it but he just did not instil me with any confidence. Perhaps I was expecting much more from a vastly experienced football administrator.

Mar 23, 2008
It's a fair point, there is a lack of experience there and the fact it feels like the situation is reaching a crescendo as the chairmanship is transferred is bad timing.

Mar 14, 2009
memory man":1p7shysq said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":1p7shysq said:

Micheal Dunford is a successful. As a failure at clubs before us as CEO. Why would you trust him to pick the right manager at our club when his recent track record is as bad as it is.

You make some good points here but could you edit para 4 as the first sentence doesn't quite make sense. For the record, I did not find myself either warming to or being impressed with Michael Dunford when I listened to him at SG recently. Cannot put my finger on it but he just did not instil me with any confidence. Perhaps I was expecting much more from a vastly experienced football administrator.

I just think last time he was here l was not impressed and lm sorry l can’t see anything he has done with other clubs between his first Argyle stint and now as to why he would be any good as a football clubs CEO.

4th para edited too...

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Made the point last week about the Board and their football knowledge/experience.

Another poster said it amazed him that supporters knew so little about the game and used Dunford as an example of someone well versed in the game.

Problem for me is Dunford's last three employers have been Crawley, Plymouth Albion and Chesterfield. No disrespect to them, but, I like to think we are aiming a bit higher than those three.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Metal_Green_Mickey":1ew3vd7k said:
memory man":1ew3vd7k said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":1ew3vd7k said:

I just think last time he was here l was not impressed and lm sorry l can’t see anything he has done with other clubs between his first Argyle stint and now as to why he would be any good as a football clubs CEO.

4th para edited too...
I fully agreed with you first time around. It is just that I don't quite understand this sentence "Michael Dunford is a successful."

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
i think simon should contact james and together dismiss the whole of the coaching staff and stay in charge 'til a new set of coaches are installed.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
I would think that the club will use the same selection process that they used when appointing Derek Adams. They were very vocal in telling everyone that the process they used delivered the right person. I'm sure that they still believe in that process and will go with same protocols to find a new man if and when they have to do so.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Lundan Cabbie":10iy93ob said:
I would think that the club will use the same selection process that they used when appointing Derek Adams. They were very vocal in telling everyone that the process they used delivered the right person. I'm sure that they still believe in that process and will go with same protocols to find a new man if and when they have to do so.
do you think derek should be dismissed?

Jul 9, 2008
Plymouth
A far more inexperienced board got it right with Adams, no matter what the current situation is. One of the board's greatest attributes is they don't do social media, so inane and I'll informed comments about any one of them may make the keyboard warrior happy but will not influence them one jot. Sorry!

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Steve Evans":3lpyh29e said:
Lundan Cabbie":3lpyh29e said:

I don't like to see anyone losing their job but from what you can expect in football, DA is very much in that danger zone of being asked to step into the boardroom.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Lundan Cabbie":3czds4m3 said:
Steve Evans":3czds4m3 said:
Lundan Cabbie":3czds4m3 said:

I don't like to see anyone losing their job but from what you can expect in football, DA is very much in that danger zone of being asked to step into the boardroom.
you probably have read lundan that i would dismiss his coaching staff.do you think they should go?i know you have posted that you don't want people to lose their jobs,imagine if they were at palace?

Mar 14, 2009
I’m not a keyboard warrior or a PASOTI expert.

I’m just a fan with an opinion.

How can you say they have got it right with Adams if we end up back in league 2 again.

As for the comments l have ever made about Simon Hallett or James Brent they have always been supportive. However, by their own admission they don’t have the footballing background that would be helpful in situations like these.

Micheal Dunford is another kettle of fish. He doesn’t have a great track record either at Crawley or Chesterfield. The Chesterfield fans in particular were glad to see the back of him if you read their forum. He doesn’t fill you with confidence as a fan when he speaks that he has the drive, passion and know-how to help get this club and sustain a position in the championship, or at least the top 6 of league 1.

Maybe my opinion is ill informed. Maybe l talk some rubbish. However, tonight on Saturday the 20th October 2018 our football club is heading back to league 2.

Of course Adams might turn this around. However, where do you start when you can’t identfy one defender in a squad of 24 people, that is good enough to build a defence around.

You don’t need to be a expert to watched a game where the opposition scores all 3 of their goals with free headers, and nearly has a fourth but it’s cleared off the line, to realise this is bleak.

If teams run at us we are torn apart. If teams cross in our box we are now dominated in the air. There is nowhere left to hide as a defensive unit.

It’s not like today’s performance isn’t a one off. Yet l think it right to be a little concerned if our board think Adams is the right man when game after game the same type of tactics and formation is played and every week your left scratching your head as to why he would continually do the same thing when it clearly doesn’t work with these groups of players.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Steve Evans":3rcwl90v said:
Lundan Cabbie":3rcwl90v said:
Steve Evans":3rcwl90v said:
Lundan Cabbie":3rcwl90v said:

you probably have read lundan that i would dismiss his coaching staff.do you think they should go?i know you have posted that you don't want people to lose their jobs,imagine if they were at palace?

Hi Steve

It would be quite normal should DA be dismissed for his successor to want to bring his own coaching team in and I get that. Of course it's sad that they lose their job but hopefully they get correctly compensated.

I'm beginning to lean towards the Director of Football set up. It offers the club greater continuity but I think it is even harder for a club to get the right DoF than it is to find the right manager/head coach. At Palace I have great confidence in Roy but don't have faith that Dougie Freedman as DoF is the right man to attract players we'd desire to the club.