• Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

4-4-2

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
https://www.pafc.co.uk/news/2018/octobe ... ght-areas/

DA clearly dismisses using a formation with 2 strikers.. suggesting that it doesn’t work as it makes it too easy for opposition CB’s.

Wonder what Sir Alex Ferguson would have thought of this, given arguably the best manager ever employed a clear 4-4-2 formation..

May 8, 2011
JannerinCardiff":297uzfi1 said:
https://www.pafc.co.uk/news/2018/october/populate-the-right-areas/

DA clearly dismisses using a formation with 2 strikers.. suggesting that it doesn’t work as it makes it too easy for opposition CB’s.

Wonder what Sir Alex Ferguson would have thought of this, given arguably the best manager ever employed a clear 4-4-2 formation..

With the family connection I expect they talk about that sort of things.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
He employed a 4-4-2 formation until the early 2000s, when he recognised football was changing and went 4-4-1-1. He bought Juan Sebastian Veron for that reason, and put Paul Scholes behind the main striker Ruud Van Nistelrooy.

That didn’t work fantastically well, so he sold RVN and from that point on then worked with a 4-3-3. One of the best United teams ever was the team with Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez as the three. But he also went with more defensive players in those positions like Park ji-Sung and Danny Welbeck for big games.

He very rarely used 4-4-2 after about 2001.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Just made me think.. if I was Alex Fletcher it would make me want to leave..

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Biggs":3db37on0 said:
He employed a 4-4-2 formation until the early 2000s, when he recognised football was changing and went 4-4-1-1. He bought Juan Sebastian Veron for that reason, and put Paul Scholes behind the main striker Ruud Van Nistelrooy.

That didn’t work fantastically well, so he sold RVN and from that point on then worked with a 4-3-3. One of the best United teams ever was the team with Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez as the three. But he also went with more defensive players in those positions like Park ji-Sung and Danny Welbeck for big games.

He very rarely used 4-4-2 after about 2001.

I’d argue that Man U’s best team had 2 strikers, Cole and Sheringham. To me it’s about using the right players to suit a system..

A fair few names would disagree with him...

Shearer & Sutton
Shearer & Sheringham
Sheringham & Cascarino
Lineker & Beardsley
Henry & Bergkamp
Cole & Yorke
Keegan & Toshack
Rush & Dalglish
Phillips & Quinn
Suarez & Sturridge
Corrazin & Butler
Francis & Preece

At varying levels of ability, getting the right combo can be lethal...

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
We don't have the team for it, or at the very least our best players wouldn't suit it, Carey & Ruben aren't strikers, wingers or central midfielders, to correctly use a 442 we'd probably need to drop them for Wylde & Ainsworth which isn't going to happen.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Floyd_Pepper":1fhmgyr7 said:

Shearer & Sutton
Shearer & Sheringham
Sheringham & Cascarino
Lineker & Beardsley
Henry & Bergkamp
Cole & Yorke
Keegan & Toshack
Rush & Dalglish
Phillips & Quinn
Suarez & Sturridge
Corrazin & Butler
Francis & Preece

Other than Argyle's though most modern centre-backs are much quicker than when most of those were an item. Plus of course most teams now try and build play through midfield rather than lumping it long. Again, except at Argyle.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
A good example of a successful forward pairing in recent times would be Reid and Lavery, they were excellent in the short spell they had together. I don't buy the whole you can't play two up top anymore argument, but you need a pair of strikers who bring out the best in eachother and balance eachother's strengths and weaknesses. You can't just throw two strikers together up top for the sake of it, I remember us finishing a few games in League 2 with Taylor & Spencer together, almost identical players, we might as well have had nobody it was so ineffective. Taylor, Ladapo & Dyson, personally I don't see how an effective partnership can be formed from those three, and unfortunately I just don't think Fletcher is good enough for this level. 442 wouldn't suit the squad we have.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
3-5-2 makes more sense Cobi but I'm not sure how you'd first Carey and Lameiras in unless one of them was one of the 2. Or you played Carey at left wing back.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Mark Pedlar":1ot4atxg said:
3-5-2 makes more sense Cobi but I'm not sure how you'd first Carey and Lameiras in unless one of them was one of the 2. Or you played Carey at left wing back.

In terms of the full backs we have then yes 352 makes more sense, but as you say I'm not sure what you'd do with those two, in pretty much any formation with a front 2, we'd end up pushing Carey & Ruben out of their best positions.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Floyd_Pepper":2tgnegno said:

Shearer & Sutton
Shearer & Sheringham
Sheringham & Cascarino
Lineker & Beardsley
Henry & Bergkamp
Cole & Yorke
Keegan & Toshack
Rush & Dalglish
Phillips & Quinn
Suarez & Sturridge
Corrazin & Butler
Francis & Preece

Apart from Henry and Bergkamp (who would drop very deep), they’re all 20+ years ago.

Football has changed massively since.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Cobi Budge":37pe0v1r said:
Mark Pedlar":37pe0v1r said:

It's a team game and neither of them have so far put a full shift in either because of them or Adams.

In terms of the full backs we have then yes 352 makes more sense, but as you say I'm not sure what you'd do with those two, in pretty much any formation with a front 2, we'd end up pushing Carey & Ruben out of their best positions.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
3 - 5 - 2 would be disastrous with the personnel we have. its bad enough playing 2 of our CB's let alone 3 of them.
Teams would rip us apart with a little bit a pace and the way DA plays it would become 5 - 3 - 2 with us drawing teams on to us more and more.
This happened last year even with a better team and performances

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I agree with what Adams is saying and the one striker has worked pretty well under him - Reid, Brunt, Spencer and Taylor have all done a good job as a lone striker but the key is the players around him. If the second or third attacker, usually Carey and Lameiras, are playing well and working with the lone striker the tactic works a treat, as we saw for the second half of last season, however this season Ladapo is a different type of lone striker and will run the channels rather than bring Carey and Lameiras into play.

Not many teams play a 4-4-2 formation these days.