Exeter going to be bigger than Argyle... | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Exeter going to be bigger than Argyle...

Dec 22, 2015
I’ve been genuinely annoyed with our performance all week. I got thinking about ExSH*Ter and how they have been on a very steady upward curve for the last few seasons. I thought they might fall away when Tis left, but sadly not.

I think everything about the club is working well. It sounds like they are, like us, working within their budgets, they have a new stand, decent players and not a shabby youth system either... but the biggest thing is that they are on the motorway!

I honestly believe that unless we get some decent investment and get some success in the league or cup we will stagnate and.... (Tim hat on) Exeter will dare I say eventually go past us...

Anyone else been thinking the same or am I just down in the dumps with our consistent injury prone squads and dire tactics?

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
I think you're worrying too much. Whilst they've been "on the up" we've been promoted and narrowly missed out on the playoffs in the league above them.

I am amazed the whole place didn't fall apart when Tisdale left and took half of their decent players, but it's a long season, they started this well last year and fell away.

Plus I wouldn't worry about them anyway, they'll always be the smaller club.

On that note, no one ever seemed overly fussed when Yeovil were doing better than us, I know they're not the arch nemesis but they're another small club.

Oct 16, 2016
What a strange post. Why give a seconds thought to another club at a time like this?

As me mar says ‘keep your nose out, it’s got nothing to do with you’

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
i don't care about exeter but at the same time i don't begrudge them their success,they deserve it and i,like many other argyle supporters have city friends.

GreenDave1981

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 5, 2017
They will struggle due to the success of the Rugby club and their demography. We are a northern city on the south coast which is why we love our Footy and have such an awesome fan base.

GreenDave1981

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 5, 2017
And some of my family are Exeter fans (on the wife’s side I hasten to add) so I do find my self keeping an eye out for them. I’d love us to be in the same league, means 6 easy points :)

Apr 12, 2016
I think credit where credit's due. City have done very well on meagre resources even compared to us (maybe something we can learn from) but I do think we are essentially very different clubs. Plymouth is much bigger whilst Exeter is a smaller city where rugby is a bit more dominant these days. Having now re-developed their ground quite well they don't really have any further room to do so they will not progress any further on that score and become 'bigger' as a club unless they are bought over by somebody very, very wealthy. They have I think reached their 'level' so to speak whereas we do have the ability to do much, much more on all counts providing we can't start turning the ship in the right direction.....

metroace

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Sep 8, 2011
Glenholt
A strange thread. Who cares what they do, what they achieve. If they rise higher than us at any stage in time, it will be because they deserve it at the time. But ultimately we will be higher than them most of the time because we are the bigger and better than them.

Sep 6, 2006
Since I Was 33":3bmysakn said:
I think credit where credit's due. City have done very well on meagre resources even compared to us (maybe something we can learn from) but I do think we are essentially very different clubs. Plymouth is much bigger whilst Exeter is a smaller city where rugby is a bit more dominant these days. Having now re-developed their ground quite well they don't really have any further room to do so they will not progress any further on that score and become 'bigger' as a club unless they are bought over by somebody very, very wealthy. They have I think reached their 'level' so to speak whereas we do have the ability to do much, much more on all counts providing we can't start turning the ship in the right direction.....

Have we not reached our level? We are light years awsy from competing in the Championship.

Aug 2, 2011
What is a "big" club? Apart from a few skirmishes in the championship and the old second division our history is set within the two lower leagues. Clubs such as Watford, Barnsley, Bournemouth, Southampton, Portsmouth and several others have all featured in the top tier of the game yet they are not generally regarded as big clubs. We may have stronger following than Exeter. But the term successful is probably a better definition than big. Big implies something undefined but does not reflect reality. Success defines a clubs status at any one time.

We need to take a good hard look at ourselves when we suggest we are a big club. For decades we have never managed to move into the top tier of th game. Not being negative just honest.

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
GreenDave1981":zlanpvaz said:
And some of my family are Exeter fans (on the wife’s side I hasten to add) so I do find my self keeping an eye out for them. I’d love us to be in the same league, means 6 easy points :)
6 easy points eh? Not with our current squad!

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Presto":1ejbydbd said:
What is a "big" club? Apart from a few skirmishes in the championship and the old second division our history is set within the two lower leagues. Clubs such as Watford, Barnsley, Bournemouth, Southampton, Portsmouth and several others have all featured in the top tier of the game yet they are not generally regarded as big clubs. We may have stronger following than Exeter. But the term successful is probably a better definition than big. Big implies something undefined but does not reflect reality. Success defines a clubs status at any one time.

We need to take a good hard look at ourselves when we suggest we are a big club. For decades we have never managed to move into the top tier of th game. Not being negative just honest.

As a Palace fan, I am proud of the fact that I support a small club. We may have more dosh right now than we have ever had before but that's the only real difference of recent years.

However, there are small clubs and then there are smaller clubs! Exeter City are most definitely smaller but that could one day change. Seventy years ago Palace were an Exeter so never say never.