Macey needs to be dropped | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Macey needs to be dropped

Nov 28, 2017
Poor goalkeeping for the first goal and not the first time he’s cost us this season. Give letheran a chance more experienced and he’s decent.

Oct 5, 2013
Macey has shown himself to be a brilliant shot-stopper; but I would say that his kicking and clearances certainly need to improve radically.

May 8, 2011
Greenarmy11":3cz6gh74 said:
Poor goalkeeping for the first goal and not the first time he’s cost us this season. Give letheran a chance more experienced and he’s decent.

Taking that logic, every time a player gives away a penalty he should be dropped, how many times has that cost us this season?

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
HC Green":2r9yqbzs said:
Greenarmy11":2r9yqbzs said:

Taking that logic, every time a player gives away a penalty he should be dropped, how many times has that cost us this season?

It must be a nightmare playing behind our "defence".

Oct 5, 2013
I've only seen Macey up close twice, that was against Wycombe and then Peterborough, when of course his scuffed clearance did directly lead to one of P's early goals. And against Wycombe he seemed to mis-hit his kicks quite frequently. In both matches I was struck by his not appearing to talk much to his defence, maybe not surprising for a lad who's only 20. His confidence cannot be too high at present, either, with all the losses.

Agree with the OP about Letheren being a very good keeper, he was part of the start of last season's great run and then unluckily got injured. A good shot-stopper, good talker who gives instructions to the defence, and seems to have quite a commanding presence on the pitch. He must be wondering why he hasn't yet had a chance this season.

And we also have Michael Cooper, now in the England set-up, who kept a clean sheet the only time he did play, and is only a year younger than Macey, so any "risks" connected with his experience must also apply to Macey, really. Cooper perhaps still learning his trade, but same applies to Macey.

I'd definitely go for Letheren next match.

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
He's actually 24 so the age thing doesn't really apply.

He's been at the Arsenal for 5 years so they must see something in him, they've had a few decent keepers over the years.

Oct 5, 2013
David_Fisher":39itm5pe said:
He's actually 24 so the age thing doesn't really apply.

He's been at the Arsenal for 5 years so they must see something in him, they've had a few decent keepers over the years.

Thanks for correction about age.
Obviously he's a good keeper, that's why he's a pro. Yet we can only go by his performances with Argyle, not where he's been beforehand.
A keeper obviously has an effect on a defence, and the other way round, and just on the basis of all the goals the team has conceded, I'd give him a break and play Letheren now for a while.

Mar 23, 2008
I would also be btinging in Letheren. He might be playing behind a poor defence by he's part of the problem with his lack of command and communication.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
On the whole, Macey has been excellent. There’s been a few mistakes, but all keepers make a mistake from time to time. Dropping him would be a bad move, in my opinion.

Oct 14, 2015
GreenThing":1zb1xpku said:
On the whole, Macey has been excellent. There’s been a few mistakes, but all keepers make a mistake from time to time. Dropping him would be a bad move, in my opinion.

I agree. Easy scapegoat for some shocking defending and even yesterday was 2nd to Songo for the MOM award as voted by Argyle fans at the game. I think that's a problem, to many posters who don't actually attend games making these calls. Anyone at the game yesterday would agree Macey played very well.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Greenarmy11":34hg7py8 said:

5 games for Blackpool and 7 for us at this level....

.... not so experienced then.

Oct 31, 2015
I have seen him quite a few times and my buggest gripe is he is very quiet. I dont see him talking to the defence or commanding

You could hear Luke all the time and Remi used to give it socks. Thing is he is not young.

I suspect his confidence is waining because early games He was commanding the 6 yard box but now it seems not.

Mind most keepers would struggle behind that defence

Oct 5, 2013
rsp4":2tir5kwq said:
I have seen him quite a few times and my buggest gripe is he is very quiet. I dont see him talking to the defence or commanding

You could hear Luke all the time and Remi used to give it socks. Thing is he is not young.

I suspect his confidence is waining because early games He was commanding the 6 yard box but now it seems not.

Mind most keepers would struggle behind that defence

Just on the basis of giving another keeper a go, to see if that changes things around defence-wise, I think it must be worth playing Letheren.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Macey isn't the problem.

A different set of strangers along the back four every week is the problem. That seems set to continue with the latest crop of injuries.