Safe standing - Herald article | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Safe standing - Herald article

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
It's very sad.

In an ideal world the 'standers' could have Zoo Corner and interfere with no one, but it does seem as if Plymouth seems to be one of the few Cities that won't allow standing whilst almost every other City does.

Bristol, Birmingham and Burnley to name just three.

However you can see the club are sympathetic in their wording but there is no way should any of the standers be allowed to block of the view of the sitters.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
It seems fair enough to me. The Devonport is the unofficial standing area, and the rest of the ground is all seater.

I imagine it’s especially important to apply the rules to the Lyndhurst this season, because of the influx of elderly/non-standers from the Grandstand. There’s just no way the club can do anything else.

Perhaps the rules can be slightly relaxed for the Lyndhurst east side when those ST holders have relocated back next season.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
It does Den, but that doesn't help the people that want to stand does it?

The law is a stupid one, beyond belief ridiculous.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
That's why I talked of Plymouth Clive rather than Argyle.

Why is it that other Councils are far, far more sympathetic?

Aug 13, 2009
IJN":d0qk2c9e said:
It does Den, but that doesn't help the people that want to stand does it?

The law is a stupid one, beyond belief ridiculous.

I understand what you are saying, but it is an all-seater stadium. Its not stupid if you are sat behind a persistant stander and cannot watch the game because you want to/have to sit, in an all-seater stadium.

It seems to be quite clear that if you want to stand, go to the Devonport End.

May 8, 2011
IJN":16n0jh9n said:
That's why I talked of Plymouth Clive rather than Argyle.

Why is it that other Councils are far, far more sympathetic?

I think you find they aren’t. There are plenty of articles available on the internet about clubs having problems with persistent standing. For each Club they will have the prospects of sanctions by the local Council as one of their main concerns.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Bristol City fans were standing in their 100's at our game last month.

Talking to a steward he said 'that's we're they're allowed to stand in the Championship games'.

May 8, 2011
IJN":2mjpn1pb said:
Bristol City fans were standing in their 100's at our game last month.

Talking to a steward he said 'that's we're they're allowed to stand in the Championship games'.

That is a bit like Argyle saying they will not take action about people standing in the Devonport or Barn Park. What is unusual and causing the problem at Argyle is the persistent standing in a block in the Lyndhurst which is not at one end of the stand but situated in a block where on either side people sit and have their views blocked.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Yeah I get that, hence why I said that the club are right in ensuring no other's view is blocked off.

This has been exacerbated this season by us old farts coming back into the Lyndy.

I moved from the corner because I couldn't see, into block 12 which is far far better, but I do now prefer the view from the Grandstand.

Feb 8, 2005
Shankster":2mh806dt said:
dennis the menace":2mh806dt said:
The club statement strikes the right note even though it's accepted that it is illegal.

It’s not illegal

Don't be picky. It's against Ground Regulations.

These regulations are rules to ensure safety.

Therefore it is against the rules.

Standing in an all seater stadium may not be against the law, but it IS against the safety regulations, and the Club have a responsibility to ensure that safety rules are adhered to.

Everyone that purchases a match ticket does so with the understanding that by doing so they agree to abide by the rules and regulations covering all seater stadia.

Nuff said.