Argyle nickname of old? The Dandies??? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Argyle nickname of old? The Dandies???

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
I found this referenced on the National Football Museum site...

Does anyone else concur....it has always been Pilgrims in my book>

Pearson’s Weekly was a UK tabloid magazine published by C A Pearson Ltd, edited by Peter Keary and others. Notable for it’s publicity stunts, it was published on a weekly basis from, 26 July 1890 to 1 April 1939. Near the end of it’s life it was retitled The New Pearson and Today from 17 September 1938, and The New Pearson’s Weekly from 26 November 1938. From 8 April 1939 it was incorporated into mam-Bits.
It includes lots of useful reference information including a page devoted to famous club nicknames, including:
Bradford City – The Citizens
Chelsea – The Pensioners
Leicester – The Fossils
Luton – The Strawplaiters
Plymouth Argyle – The Dandies
Reading – The Biscuiteers
Sheffield United – The Cutlers
West Brom – The Throstles

Aug 2, 2011
Incorporation into Titbits probably says it all! I have been attending HP since 1958'never heard of any nickname other than the Pilgrims.

May 31, 2010
Plymouth
The story I read or heard somewhere is that in the early days at an away match the famous cricketer C.B.Fry was watching, and was heard to remark of Argyle "What a Dandy team", possibly meaning smart?? For a while Argyle became known as the Dandies. Somebody may have a reference to that somewhere.

Dec 29, 2015
Also known previously as Scrap Iron and Old Crocks Brigade due to a reputation for signing Football League "rejects".

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Bit of a read but it's explained here;

SCRAP IRON AND DANDIES

The newly-formed club was rather unflatteringly nicknamed 'Scrap Iron' by local sceptics, and also 'The Old Crocks Brigade', because many of the new players were regarded as Football League rejects who had seen better days. The unkind description was soon forgotten though, as Argyle continued their impressive start to the season. By the end of October, Argyle had beaten Portsmouth twice in the Western League, and amongst other successes in the Southern League, beat West Ham at home and Spurs and Southampton away. Perhaps their most impressive performance was the 5-3 victory at The Dell against Southampton, who were the current Southern League champions and who went on that season to win the League again. Argyle soon became known as 'The Dandies', a nickname apparently given to them by no lesser name than C.B. Fry, who had played for Southampton up to 1903. He regularly wrote articles in the national sporting press and was an international in both cricket and football, as well as being an accomplished sprinter and long jumper. He was impressed by the green and black uniform of the team which beat Southampton, and coined the name. Incidentally, the famous 'Pilgrims' nick-name emerged a few years later, in recognition of the town's association with the Pilgrim Fathers and 'The Dandies' faded into obscurity.

GreensOnScreen

Jan 27, 2012
I do like hearing about Argyle in the very early days of the club's existence and the characters who made it all happen. There needs to be greater appreciation of this (something for the refurbished grandstand perhaps ?)

But I see things haven't changed much. "Scrap Iron" is a pretty good description of the reject players signed in recent times. Lets hope we can call them the "Dandies" again soon !

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
Andrew_Holcombe":1kyohzqx said:
Think The Fossils must be connected with Leicester being on the old Roman road, The Fosse Way, which passed through on its way from Ilchester to Lincoln.

From Wikipedia-

"The club was founded in 1884 as Leicester Fosse F.C., playing on a field near Fosse Road."

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
kernow19":1etov5x5 said:
Andrew_Holcombe":1etov5x5 said:
Think The Fossils must be connected with Leicester being on the old Roman road, The Fosse Way, which passed through on its way from Ilchester to Lincoln.

That's similar to Sunderland then who were always known as the Rokerites due to the ground being in Roker and called Roker Park

When the moved to the stadium of light they held a fans vote and black cats was chosen as the new name. Not sure of the significance but am surprised the jackets went for anything black in it ! Also the cats are now on their badge but personally I preferred there old ship badge

From Wikipedia-

"The club was founded in 1884 as Leicester Fosse F.C., playing on a field near Fosse Road."

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Steve Evans":3mrg7wfc said:
never known us to be the dandies but west brom are still the throstles.i think we need memory man on this one.
Anything outside the period 1956 to 1964 I generally have to investigate. Like everyone else my first move is to look at GoS. I do remember Reading coming here as the Biscuitmen and Luton playing in the 1959 FA Cup Final as the Hatters.