Youngsters | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Youngsters

Jan 28, 2011
SHROPSHIRE
On Saturday, Exeter Chiefs had a 18 yrs old come off the bench to make his debut , this at a much more physical game and at a much higher level, I'm not saying start with our promising youngsters but surely at this moment in time they have got to be worth a chance, or what is the point in giving them professional contracts ? or should we follow Brentford and do away with a youth set up and just deal with trialit, which seems to be working well for them

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Agree. I'm surprised they haven't been used more so far this season. Fletcher for example is a goal scorer with pace, which we don't have anywhere else, so would be helpful to bring off the bench.

Sep 28, 2003
London
Agreed. I'll just repeat what I said on the other thread:

We've got a youth system which is costing money to maintain, which is literally pointless as Adams doesn't seem to have any intention of ever using it. We made all that fuss about resigning Alex Battle, but why did we bother? If players like him, Fletcher, Sangster especially aren't going to even get on the bench then what on earth is the point? Scrap the entire youth system, we may as well for all the good it's doing us.

The handling of Sangster especially is winding me right up. We're continually told how good he is, the reports of his performances in the reserves etc are always good, but it's been a year nearly since his debut and he isn't getting any minutes at all. We gave Fox a new contract - it seems now without any intention of playing him - and he's just sitting in front of Sangster now, it's so frustrating.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
it is very frustrating.add to the list harry hodges,rio garside and klaidi lolos,to mention but three.i agree with the other exasperated comments.what is the point of a youth set up and paying all those coaches when the vast majority of the youngsters get shown the door?

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
If they were good enough they would be selected, i have seen these youngsters quite a bit and don’t see any one good enough for the first team. We all I know I would like to see a couple of the youth team pushing for a place and I would think Adams would love to have a couple who he thought could do a job for the team, he obviously does not think they are ready yet.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
my blood runs cold when i think of the cost of running the youth players.if some of these excellent players never get given the chance what is the point of a youth system? :furious:

Lev Yashin

🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Aug 1, 2017
Canada
Why not put one youngster in the starting eleven for the next five weeks.
If they are good enough then it will show.
The only thing preventing this is balls.
NO player should have a nailed down position.

Sep 28, 2003
London
dunlop":fi74g7au said:
If they were good enough they would be selected, i have seen these youngsters quite a bit and don’t see any one good enough for the first team. We all I know I would like to see a couple of the youth team pushing for a place and I would think Adams would love to have a couple who he thought could do a job for the team, he obviously does not think they are ready yet.

I don't subscribe to this way of thinking. Young players get better with minutes on the pitch, minutes we don't give them and thus they don't develop.

No-one is saying Sangster should be the first name on the team sheet every week - but 20 minutes here and there would be pretty reasonable, right?

Jun 22, 2015
DA will not play them...simple. Brentford is the way 100% as the system now seems like a PR exercise.

For the record, there is talent in their (concur with Steve Evans regarding Garside, but surely Fletcher and Battle should be on the bench), just unfortunately we are a graveyard for youth development... :crazy:

PutneyPete

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
♣️ PASALB Member
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
Jun 23, 2005
London (Putney)
Brentford is not the way.

Brentford is in a crowded London market place for young players, with other London clubs running an Academy - and below that, a Development squad for young players who did not make it in their Academy.

Hence, Brentford decided for financial reasons to cut its youth development - partly because it could pick up players from other local London clubs' Development squads.

Argyle is in a completely different situation. Yes, it would be great to have a regular first team player "as one of our own" - but they have to prove themselves capable, above and beyond the other professionals at the club. That is a difficult ask.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
PutneyPete":1aml7s3u said:

Brentford is in a crowded London market place for young players, with other London clubs running an Academy - and below that, a Development squad for young players who did not make it in their Academy.

Hence, Brentford decided for financial reasons to cut its youth development - partly because it could pick up players from other local London clubs' Development squads.

Argyle is in a completely different situation. Yes, it would be great to have a regular first team player "as one of our own" - but they have to prove themselves capable, above and beyond the other professionals at the club. That is a difficult ask.
how can they prove themselves if they are never given the chance?

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
PutneyPete":2yn878bf said:

Yet many years ago a lot of the Argyle youth team did make the step up to Division 2 which is a lot higher than today as division 2 now equates with the CCC.So a big gap to cross,yet they did it....I give you Steve Davey,Colin Sullivan, Mike Bickle...

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
oddball":sjufhwbb said:
PutneyPete":sjufhwbb said:

Yet many years ago a lot of the Argyle youngsters
did make the step up to Division 2 which is a lot higher than today as division 2 now equates with the CCC.So a big gap to cross,yet they did it....I give you Steve Davey,Colin Sullivan, Mike Bickle...

Aug 5, 2016
Pele10":2bids5sj said:
DA will not play them...simple. Brentford is the way 100% as the system now seems like a PR exercise.

For the record, there is talent in their (concur with Steve Evans regarding Garside, but surely Fletcher and Battle should be on the bench), just unfortunately we are a graveyard for youth development... :crazy:

The last SWPL match we lost and moaned that they were a bit too robust for our young honest lads.

Now in this thread I've read that Mike Cooper, Jordan Bentley, Luke Jephcott, Rio Garside, Cameron Sangster, Alex Battle, Alex Fletcher and Klaidi Lolos deserve runs in the first team.

I really don't think some appreciate the massive jump in pace, power and athleticism that is required. If Ivybridge and Callington are a bit feisty, I don't think they'll enjoy playing Doncaster, Bradford and Burton Albion.

What was the score against Gillingham away last season when we had Fletcher, Battle and Sangster playing together? I saw that performance and it was lads against men without the Roy of the Rovers ending.