The answer is simple .... put a striker on the pitch ! | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

The answer is simple .... put a striker on the pitch !

Oct 5, 2013
DA is continually telling us what we need (whether he realises it or not), because he keeps on saying that we need to convert the many chances we are creating. And he's right !
In other words, he's saying that we need to have a striker on the pitch !

The definition of a "striker" is someone who can strike, in other words, someone who can score goals, a "finisher" !
This is not the same, obviously, as a "front man", which means someone who can get hold of the ball up front, and bring others (and in particular, a striker) into play.

The problem is, DA doesn't play a striker ! He only plays with a front man (or men).
This is not just my view, it's confirmed by the fact he keeps saying that we are not scoring from the chances we create. In other words, we lack a finisher.

If DA can't sign an experienced striker, then he'll need to give one of the reserve team a chance, because we do have some strikers, some good finishers, there.
Otherwise I think we'll just continue as we are, and create lots of opportunities which we haven't got a striker on the pitch to convert.

To me it's simple really, and it's obvious why we are in the bad run of results that we are, even though our play deserves better.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
You could put Jimmy Greaves up front but I doubt if he would score...The service, the delivery, the chances, created by the wide players,the midfield/overlapping full backs ,whoever, is poor and any striker is feeding on scraps...

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
BWP is scoring goals for fun for New York Red Bulls....hat-trick at the weekend against Rooney's DC United in a 3-3 draw.

Don't we miss him at the moment...scored 13 for us before Christmas before administration....then another 13 at Charlton after Christmas.

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
He's more dangerous cutting inside from the right wing, looking for an opening for that left foot.....although my memories starting to fade over that happening in the last few months.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Having him on the right was part of the issue with Riley though, as Carey was looking to cut in all the time when it didn't go to plan Riley was stuck out on the right by himself normally with 2 opponents.

Carey's not exactly the best at pulling back from an attack.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
The defence has to be DA's No 1 priority at the moment. We need to stop conceding easy goals

Ladapo was unlucky on Saturday with the flick that came off the inside of the goal post but we are creating a few chances.
We were playing 2 CDM so you cant expect Carey to also be covering at RB as well or we may as well play

1 - 9 -1

May 26, 2015
philevs":kjnkon5f said:
DA is continually telling us what we need (whether he realises it or not), because he keeps on saying that we need to convert the many chances we are creating. And he's right !

The definition of a "striker" is someone who can strike, in other words, someone who can score goals, a "finisher" !
This is not the same, obviously, as a "front man", which means someone who can get hold of the ball up front, and bring others (and in particular, a striker) into play.

The problem is, DA doesn't play a striker ! He only plays with a front man (or men).
This is not just my view, it's confirmed by the fact he keeps saying that we are not scoring from the chances we create. In other words, we lack a finisher.

If DA can't sign an experienced striker, then he'll need to give one of the reserve team a chance, because we do have some strikers, some good finishers, there.
Otherwise I think we'll just continue as we are, and create lots of opportunities which we haven't got a striker on the pitch to convert.

To me it's simple really, and it's obvious why we are in the bad run of results that we are, even though our play deserves better.

Excellent post philevs. You are spot on with your distinction between "Striker" (Tynan) and "Front Man" (Taylor).

The trouble is that Adams doesn't appear to know what a striker is. That, presumably is why he hasn't signed any genuine strikers since he's been at the Club. He doesn't even like front men and won't play two together. Instead he wastes whatever budget he has on a plethora of midfielders and defenders and can't decide which ones to pick.

Indeed, I surmise that if Adams was to become manager of Scotland (very unlikely, I know), and if said Scottish team qualified for the World Cup (also unlikely), Adams would probably pick only 2 frront men in his final squad of 23, whereas every other World Cup manager would pick 4 or 5 strikers/front men out of 23.

So, I agree with you philevs, give the youngsters a chance. Play Calum Dyson at Charlton, alongside Freddie and/or Taylor. We have nothing to lose by doing so.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Managers everywhere nowadays are ditching the old-fashioned poacher and/or target man, and certainly aren't regularly playing with two up front. Adams is not remotely strange in that respect.

The good build-up play that people are speaking of, may not exist without the increased numbers in midfield and attack that come when you sacrifice an out-and-out striker who doesn't contribute to that build-up.

RG, you're saying DA hasn't signed any genuine strikers since he's been at the club. Do you think we'd have finished higher than 5th, 2nd and 7th if he had? The same system that's being criticised is the same one that achieved those positions in the first place.

The only way you succeed with a 4-4-2 now is when you have the quality of players to overpower the opposition man for man, clearly we haven't got the budget to do that so we've needed to find different ways of winning.

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Biggs":1hewgq0g said:
Managers everywhere nowadays are ditching the old-fashioned poacher and/or target man, and certainly aren't regularly playing with two up front. Adams is not remotely strange in that respect.

The good build-up play that people are speaking of, may not exist without the increased numbers in midfield and attack that come when you sacrifice an out-and-out striker who doesn't contribute to that build-up.

RG, you're saying DA hasn't signed any genuine strikers since he's been at the club. Do you think we'd have finished higher than 5th, 2nd and 7th if he had? The same system that's being criticised is the same one that achieved those positions in the first place.

The only way you succeed with a 4-4-2 now is when you have the quality of players to overpower the opposition man for man, clearly we haven't got the budget to do that so we've needed to find different ways of winning.

Makes sense to me...

Sep 6, 2006
RochdaleGreen":3otzny9o said:
philevs":3otzny9o said:

Excellent post philevs. You are spot on with your distinction between "Striker" (Tynan) and "Front Man" (Taylor).

The trouble is that Adams doesn't appear to know what a striker is. That, presumably is why he hasn't signed any genuine strikers since he's been at the Club. He doesn't even like front men and won't play two together. Instead he wastes whatever budget he has on a plethora of midfielders and defenders and can't decide which ones to pick.

Indeed, I surmise that if Adams was to become manager of Scotland (very unlikely, I know), and if said Scottish team qualified for the World Cup (also unlikely), Adams would probably pick only 2 frront men in his final squad of 23, whereas every other World Cup manager would pick 4 or 5 strikers/front men out of 23.

So, I agree with you philevs, give the youngsters a chance. Play Calum Dyson at Charlton, alongside Freddie and/or Taylor. We have nothing to lose by doing so.

Have you seen Dyson play?. I suspect not.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
i have yet to see dyson play so can't comment.however this baloney about not playing two up front is surely a big mistake.liverpool are playing stunning football and they wouldn't dream of putting salah up front on his own.think about it derek!