Centre Back issue... (merged) | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Centre Back issue... (merged)

Danknight98

✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2016
Derek Adams in his post-match presser summed up what we were all thinking about our defending today: “To defend the way we did, I have had to take off three centre-halves in the game, which is unheard of."
Now, more to the point: What do we do with our centre backs? both Canavan and Wootton were abysmal in every aspect today, whilst Wootton hasn't performed at all since joining. Canavan has been more convincing but was woefully exposed by Godden and Cummings. Meanwhile Songo'o failed to protect the back 4 at all.

My question is, what does Derek do? And does he need to change the centre backs completely? Peter Grant hasn't had a chance at all. Gary Sawyer is capable of playing there, and Ryan Edwards must surely crop up as an option. It is however very worrying how poor the replacements of Sonny Bradley and Zak Vyner have been. :sigh:

Mar 23, 2008
Got to be Edwards and Sawyer, unless he opts for Edwards and Grant and Sawyer in at left back.

Jan 27, 2012
It would take some balls and some money, but he could try and push a couple of our centre backs out on loan and bring in some better ones on loan. I dont see that happening, but it must be on his mind to do something drastic like that. If Wylde or Ainsworth leave that could provide the financial leeway.

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
They both looked awful, canavan cuts the same shape as trigger, (who I remember seeing up close and thinking he's not in anyway fat) but my gosh I'm not used to seeing it these days. Have we ever had 4 centre backs and 3 of them shouldn't be anywhere near the team.

For me Edwards with his passion and willingness should be paired with sawyer, who I've always thought of as a CB. He has got to be able to revisit his earlier years and make that position his own. He has a great leap and I'm sure he will do a great deal better than what we have seen recently.

Tynan One Nil

🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 23, 2013
Edwards, Wootton, Canavan, Sawyer, Grant (P) and Songo’o all seem to have one thing in common - no real pace. So all will always be exposed by mobile strikers like yesterday. It is the blend that is missing of having a partner to be able to “sweep up” the mistakes. I am not sure any combination from the above will solve that.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
3 CB’s next match?

Play wing backs in a 3-5-2?

Go crazy and put everyone on the transfer list?

R

rdr123

Sawyer and Edwards has to be the centre back pairing for Milwall to test how it works out. Where is Riley? Moore looks a liability.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Will P Grant get a chance?

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
It was a defensive mess from start to finish, not limited to the centre halves either.

Macey's kicking was woeful all game long, it cost us the first goal and never really improved, as if the first error drained his confidence completely. That's blow number 1 because if the defence can't trust what's behind them they already can't play their normal game in fear of a goalkeeping error behind them.

Canavan and Wootton were shocking, there were multiple occasions where balls just bounced past their heads and neither seemed in a hurry to react. By the time they did, the forwards were clean through.

Similarly all 4 of the defenders seemed so focused on the ball they forgot their own duties, it's very rare the crowd are forced to shout "back post" because all 4 defenders are being drawn across the pitch, completely oblivious to two forwards on the back post. A severe lack of defensive leaders. This is something Bradley would have quickly solved; a commanding presence back there to organise the rest of the defence, equally his demeanor and no nonsense approach meant the rest of the defence could focus on their own tasks and not the ball as they could be confident he'd deal with anything coming from his side.

We went in at half time 2 down but on the front foot, Adams to his credit tried to capitalise by bringing on Taylor. His execution though was hugely costly. Don't get me wrong I like Songo'o and actually thought he was hands down our best player yesterday whilst playing in midfield. When switched into defence though he gets caught out, particularly when we play a very high line trying to score a goal. He lacks pace and put him in a position where he's in a foot race chasing after balls over the top and he stands no chance; we saw it last year when he played so well earlier in the year when we were sat deep clinging on to every point but later in the year when we were out attacking teams, he got caught for pace. Thing is Adams knows this, I know Canavan was pretty shocking and it would have been harsh to withdraw Songo'o as our only bright spark but the decision to put a square peg in a round hole cost us 2 goals and any hope of getting back into the game for me.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
We're almost certain to lose our next two games so free hits in terms of experimenting. I'd try Grant and Edwards for one game, maybe both depending on how it goes. I wouldn't throw out Moore just yet. I'm guessing O'Keefe won't be allowed to play on Wednesday even if he does get clearance in time so I'd give Songo'o the job of protecting the back 4 at Milwall with O'Keefe replacing him for Portsmouth.

What a mess.

Oct 31, 2015
why did Adams put Songo at left CB when everyone knows from last season he is useless their.

One of our stand out players in the first half but left CB? REALLY. Game over within 10 minutes of the second half starting.

That as bad a decsion since Mellor was put on as a striker by Sheridan