• Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

We've Got Carey...

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
As another transfer window 'slams shut' I am once again allowing myself a little smile at the thought that "we've (still) got Carey...".

I know that there was no particular rumour or gossip that he might be prised from the club but he is by far and away Argyle's star player and most desirable asset from the perspective of other clubs so there is always a danger that someone will come in and try to lure him away.

I have been watching Argyle for 26 years now since I moved to Plymouth in 1992 and he is in a very small group of players I have seen with genuine flair, creativity and wow factor. These are not the only things I like to see in players but I have to confess that I do have a penchant for watching an exciting, creative attacking flair player (Paul Dalton, Paul McGregor, Akos Busacky, Graham Carey and to a lesser extent in the current team but with real potential, Ruben Lameiras) - players who can single-handedly make something happen on the pitch.

I think we are really, really lucky to have had the pleasure of watching Carey play for Argyle for three years already and now we know that we have got him for at least another half season... (unless there is some weird loan activity in the next couple of weeks).

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
If letters of intent have been signed by all parties transfers can still be made up until 6pm and then of course Scottish teams can still sign players until the end of the month....

then there is always a loan!

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Mark Pedlar":1hxv96dt said:
If letters of intent have been signed by all parties transfers can still be made up until 6pm and then of course Scottish teams can still sign players until the end of the month....

then there is always a loan!

Stop that right now!

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Like you I’m so pleased that another window shuts and Carey remains an Argyle player.. he’s our best player and I hope he can continue the form he has shown over the last 2 seasons..

Do it for the Green Army Graham!!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
That should be (if he doesn’t go in January) four full seasons for possibly our best player in a decade.

Not bad at all, and here’s to a fifth in the Championship.

Jan 27, 2012
In January he will only have a few months left on his contract. Other clubs may be watching that situation closely. Argyle should do all they can between then and now to get Carey to sign a contract extension. The squad lacks creative players and he's our key player (along with Taylor).

Mar 8, 2016
Steve Evans":t7sug858 said:
we need to keep Lameiras as well.a genius footballer in my opinion.

He just needs to find a bit more consistency on delivering the ability he clearly has.

Mar 4, 2008
Plymouth
An absolute pleasure to watch this guy play football.

Whilst I'd love him to sign a new contract, the reality is that this may depend on what division we are in next season.

Aug 17, 2005
Sure somebody here will know but thought the contract was for four years. Or was it for three with an extension of twelve months built in.

Aug 17, 2005
Yes on transfermarkt it says the club has a twelve month option to extend the contract beyond next year

Mar 23, 2008
Fully agree, i think he will be remembered with great fondness and only really truly appreciated when he's not here anymore. In terms of flair players, he's right up there with the very best who have worn green in my time watching us alongside the likes of Dalton, Buzz, Halmosi and Friio.

Sep 28, 2003
London
gaspargomez":y8xxy1ju said:
In January he will only have a few months left on his contract. Other clubs may be watching that situation closely. Argyle should do all they can between then and now to get Carey to sign a contract extension. The squad lacks creative players and he's our key player (along with Taylor).

To be fair, Argyle might well have offered him an extension already and he isn't signing it. Before it starts, let's not get all "why aren't the club offering him a new deal", as we don't know it's the case.

Carey knows he can get a contract with Argyle next season at the very least, so why wouldn't he wait and see what happens this season before commiting? If we don't go up, and he's available on a free, I'd be very surprised if he doesn't get picked up by a Championship club as a cheap option, or a high-end League One club with deeper pockets than ours.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Andy Holland":h7ogi36e said:
gaspargomez":h7ogi36e said:

To be fair, Argyle might well have offered him an extension already and he isn't signing it. Before it starts, let's not get all "why aren't the club offering him a new deal", as we don't know it's the case.

Carey knows he can get a contract with Argyle next season at the very least, so why wouldn't he wait and see what happens this season before commiting? If we don't go up, and he's available on a free, I'd be very surprised if he doesn't get picked up by a Championship club as a cheap option, or a high-end League One club with deeper pockets than ours.
Maybe - but he was at his most valued last year when to our astonishment and delight he re-signed. In May he'll turn 30 - will bigger clubs be quite so keen to shell out for a big contract then? Also he is clearly happy and settled here - that was enough for him to turn down more lucrative deals before than he will probably be offered in future. Whatever. His quick feet and superb strikes are a joy to watch and he will always be remembered as a great Argyle favourite....... but hopefully not for a few more years yet. Top bloke and wonderful footballer.

Jan 27, 2012
I'm optimistic he will stay but money talks. What is big money for Argyle is small change for many Championship clubs.

Like Taylor, he is playing the best football of his career here, so he might wonder why he would want to change clubs when things are going so well on the pitch for him. He's not set the world alight at any of his previous clubs. Whereas at Argyle, he's the star player.