Season Preview

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
Wasn't a great read, anyone could've written that. I would have liked more in depth information rather than bad start, great recovery and escalation poor finish hope for better this year.

Jul 30, 2015
Plymouth
Lancastergreen":1wni605b said:
Wasn't a great read, anyone coykdve written that. I would've liked more in depth information rather than bad start, great recovery and escalation poor finish hope for better this year.

Nice bit of encouragement that...

Yes it's a brief overview but it's accurate and a good summary. I also thought the pasty comment (best bits in the middle) was a witty way to finish. Nice job Chris.

Apr 20, 2004
Dorset
Decent summary. For fans of teams using the site to check up on their opponents for the coming season they want an accurate and easy to digest overview and that's exactly what it is. Ignore Grumpy-Pants from Lancs!

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
mervyn":3dtjkhjk said:
Lancastergreen":3dtjkhjk said:
Wasn't a great read, anyone coykdve written that. I would've liked more in depth information rather than bad start, great recovery and escalation poor finish hope for better this year.

Anyone who could spell, apply grammar accurately, and make sense.

Hmmm - was the Oxford comma required there mervyn? ;)

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Argylegames":2i6w1byp said:
Frank_Butcher":2i6w1byp said:
Hmmm - was the Oxford comma required there mervyn? ;)

Yes, yes, and yes. :wave:

A topic that divides opinion more than Brexit :)

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Tidy piece, well done.

Though to contra and "augment":

The number of wins was pivotal, wasn't it. When you're down bottom in December, you just hope to start back off with some deserved draws, but the swift movement from regular defeats to regular wins without many draws was the surprise element. Must be a managerial mindset influencing that.

And I think Adams finds players for a system, rather than a system to fit who're the players. Subtle difference. Most pertinent to predictability. If playing the same old system from the turn of the calendar year for too long, some smart sod works out how to nullify and beat it, then others copy the smart sod. Could be our undoing. Hopefully the attacking system has moved on somewhat owing to personnel changes, some more mobility from midfield and full back; but given our leavers have been mainly defensive ones, and we persist with the likes of Fox (lack of legs) and Songo (lack of attacking ability), perhaps not!

I’ve always felt our two best ever midfielders were Stuart Mcall and John Matthews, yet neither seemed to stroll more than a few paces before laying off perfect passes. On both occasions when they joined us, I remember complaints that their legs must have gone at their age.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
mervyn":2jjeekcj said:
Pogleswoody":2jjeekcj said:
Balham_Green":2jjeekcj said:
Gary_Wills":2jjeekcj said:
Tidy piece, well done.

Though to contra and "augment":

The number of wins was pivotal, wasn't it. When you're down bottom in December, you just hope to start back off with some deserved draws, but the swift movement from regular defeats to regular wins without many draws was the surprise element. Must be a managerial mindset influencing that.

And I think Adams finds players for a system, rather than a system to fit who're the players. Subtle difference. Most pertinent to predictability. If playing the same old system from the turn of the calendar year for too long, some smart sod works out how to nullify and beat it, then others copy the smart sod. Could be our undoing. Hopefully the attacking system has moved on somewhat owing to personnel changes, some more mobility from midfield and full back; but given our leavers have been mainly defensive ones, and we persist with the likes of Fox (lack of legs) and Songo (lack of attacking ability), perhaps not!

What? Fox has lost his legs?! Why the hell we giving him a contract?

Why not? Waddle did ok! :coat:

I’ve always felt our two best ever midfielders were Stuart Mcall and John Matthews, yet neither seemed to stroll more than a few paces before laying off perfect passes. On both occasions when they joined us, I remember complaints that their legs must have gone at their age.

You can't help thinking that they developed into great ballholding and passing players because they couldn't run!! If they had been superquick as kids, maybe they wouldn't have made it? Wouldn't have played to such an age, anyway.
One of the main probs with the Prem is that you don't get too many like McCall (M'lud! :nworthy: ) but, when they leave the Prem, they retire with trailer loads of money. No incentive or interest in playing for the 'like of' Argo.
Hope 'waddle' wasn't a whoosh btw!! :oops: