✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Argyle will play Newport County, Swindon and an under-21s side from either Arsenal, Brighton and Hove Albion, Chelsea, Fulham, Southampton, Swansea City, Tottenham Hotspur or West Ham United in round 1.

All EFL clubs will play two of their three matches at home.

Could see us up against Luke McCormick.

Herald

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Nice run-outs for an Argyle Reserve team but I would much prefer it if we were back in the good old Football Combination where we could see the likes of Spurs, West Ham, Arsenal, Chelsea etc etc every other week on a reserves basis. Ah, nostalgia isn't what it used to be...

Aug 5, 2015
Yes do you remember when there was a 40K plus crowd at a combination game against Spurs back in the 60’s. They had just re-signed Greavsie. I know he remembered it when I saw him at a function where he was guest speaker a few years ago.

Sep 25, 2010
Good news, gives the fringe players, good run outs, and game time as well as the reserve league, especially with the number of first team players

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
A season or two before I started, but I do remember alternate Saturday afternoons and a few freezing Tuesday evenings sharing (with a few hundred hardy souls) the joy of watching Argyle's kids and out-of-favour senior squad members battle it out with an equal mixture of up-and-coming First Division starlets and established names. Off the top of my head I recall seeing Bob Wilson, Charlie George, Charlie Nicholas, Peter Marinello (all Arsenal so far!) Peter Houseman, Mickey Droy etc etc. Heady days...

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Kentishgreen":1cczt2y9 said:
Yes do you remember when there was a 40K plus crowd at a combination game against Spurs back in the 60’s. They had just re-signed Greavsie. I know he remembered it when I saw him at a function where he was guest speaker a few years ago.

Are you thinking of the 40,000 attendance against Spurs in the FA Cup? I know Greavsie famously played in a reserve match down here but even the Argyle first team weren't attracting 40,000 let alone their reseves.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Mark58":rg6o7ef2 said:
A season or two before I started, but I do remember alternate Saturday afternoons and a few freezing Tuesday evenings sharing (with a few hundred hardy souls) the joy of watching Argyle's kids and out-of-favour senior squad members battle it out with an equal mixture of up-and-coming First Division starlets and established names. Off the top of my head I recall seeing Bob Wilson, Charlie George, Charlie Nicholas, Peter Marinello (all Arsenal so far!) Peter Houseman, Mickey Droy etc etc. Heady days...

I remember Osgood and Chivers also playing at HP....very good standard of reserve football in those days...(Chelsea, Spurs Arsenal were regular visitors....and Mansfield Town)

Aug 2, 2011
Lundan Cabbie":oj9cgwwk said:
Kentishgreen":oj9cgwwk said:

Are you thinking of the 40,000 attendance against Spurs in the FA Cup? I know Greavsie famously played in a reserve match down here but even the Argyle first team weren't attracting 40,000 let alone their reseves.

The biggest ever home attendance was 43,596 in Oct 1936 against Aston Villa - a bit before my time. I did attend the first Jimmy Greaves game following his return from Italy. It was for Spurs reserves v Argyle reserves. He scored twice. Not certain of the attendance but I think it was more around 20k certainly not anywhere near 40k

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Memory Man might be able to help me here but I do recall a story where, at a reserve game, they were selling FA Cup tickets to those that attended. Fans paid to get in, bought their FA Cup ticket, promptly went out again only to return so they could buy another FA Cup ticket thereby giving the hugely false attendance figure. Fact or fiction?

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
Keepitgreen":16911go4 said:
Memory Man might be able to help me here but I do recall a story where, at a reserve game, they were selling FA Cup tickets to those that attended. Fans paid to get in, bought their FA Cup ticket, promptly went out again only to return so they could buy another FA Cup ticket thereby giving the hugely false attendance figure. Fact or fiction?

viewtopic.php?t=81745&p=1435849

Aug 2, 2011
Correct. I may well be wrong but I think it was to get tickets for the Spurs FA Cup either that or a West Brom game but I am fairly sure it was for Spurs. We got stuffed by Spurs 6 something but it was great to go and the crowd were brilliant.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
kernow19":234bmro8 said:
Keepitgreen":234bmro8 said:

viewtopic.php?t=81745&p=1435849
Great thanks. Knew I'd seen something about it.

Sep 25, 2010
Brussels Bureaucrat":23nl4mym said:
I'd imagine that a home game against Swansea reserves on a Champions League Tuesday night will be quite the hot ticket.

The sooner this wretched competition is put out of its misery, the better.

Oh no, not this again. It does not matter what comp. we are in, support your team

Jul 29, 2010
Martyn":1zqtwgcd said:
Brussels Bureaucrat":1zqtwgcd said:
I'd imagine that a home game against Swansea reserves on a Champions League Tuesday night will be quite the hot ticket.

The sooner this wretched competition is put out of its misery, the better.

Oh no, not this again. It does not matter what comp. we are in, support your team
Oh no, not that lame old defence again. It DOES matter what the competition is, football is bigger than your team.

If you don't like being reminded that you sell out by supporting this competition and being a B team apologist, then don't support the competition and stop being a B team apologist.

It really is that simple because the thinking fans objections will not stop until the competition stops.