Top five players you've ever seen play live? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Top five players you've ever seen play live?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Brought on by Quintrell Green mentioning Jimmy Johnstone in another thread.

For me:-

George Best
Jimmy Johnstone
Eric Cantona
Paul Scholes.
Barry Silkman

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Ronaldo,
Beckham,
Scholes,
Giggs,
Rooney,

All on the same day, what a team United used to have!

Mar 14, 2009
Lucky enough to see Gazza when in his pomp.

I think it was against the Czech Republic. He did score. The result was something like 4-1, 4-2 and he was absolute class.

Henry & Bergkamp at the Highbury vs Liverpool.

Arsenal, when they played at Wembley, in the champions league so you could pick a number of players from Viera, Petit, Overmars etc..

One player l will choose, who is an out of the box selection, that I saw in 1990 at Maine Rd (in the Manchester Derby finished 3-3) was a right sided midfielder called David White. Very good player and much under rated.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I've changed my five, so now it is.

How do you like them apples?

:wave:

S

Straw

Maradona
Pele
George Best
Bobby Moore
Glen Hoddle

Could have five or six different players vying for the 5th spot

Aug 5, 2012
Gravesend - Kent
George Best
Franz Beckenbauer
Gordon Banks
Dennis Law
Pele (who, at the height of his career, stated that George Best was the best player he had ever seen).

Are we going on performance in that match as well, or just general perception that said player is good and that you have seen them in the flesh? For example, I saw Gareth Bale play for Spurs and he didn't look bothered. Or I went to a game between Portugal and Brazil when Ronaldo and Ronaldinho appeared on opposing sides, but neither shone. I've seen Gazza and Ruud Gullit play down at Argyle but don't recall much about either performance. And I've seen Messi play at the Nou Camp but Barcelona lost and no one in their team shone.

Big players who have stood out include Luis Suarez at Liverpool and Robin Van Persie at Arsenal. Of course, Tommy Tynan would top them all :)

M

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I was talking about how they performed when I saw them Martin.

I saw JJ many times and he was wonderful on every occasion. Scholes the same. Only saw Besty five times but the first four he was outrageous.

Aug 17, 2011
London
1) I saw Demitar Berbatov a couple of times when he was at Spurs- He was just unreal. I appreciate I may have just caught him on a couple of good days.
2) Rodney Jack at Torquay
3) Matt Le Tissier
4) Alan Shearer (England v Scotland Euro '96)
5) Paul Gascoinge (England v Scotland Euro '96)