Could this be the best time to get out of league one? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Could this be the best time to get out of league one?

Musing as I do whilst mowing the lawn, it occurred to me that we must currently be in a weaker than usual league.

Firstly, if Rotherham beat Shrewsbury in the play-off final, all three relegated sides will have bounced straight back.

Secondly, two of the promoted teams, ourselves and Pompey, will have finished just outside the play-offs, with Doncaster not that far behind.

Thirdly, three of last year’s relegated sides from this league have all fared poorly, Chesterfield spectacularly so. Only Coventry have reached the play-offs.

Fourthly, managerial sackings in this league are nearly double those of the three other divisions, suggesting much poorer stewardship by our league rivals.

It just makes me think that if we can get some early momentum going this next season, we may never have a better opportunity to make the Championship.

What do you think?

Feb 8, 2005
You're doing a lot of generalising there, Merv.

Let's get a squad together first before we think of where we might end up. It's all down to recruiting the type of player Adams wants, at the wage that we can afford. I don't expect all players we recruit to be first or even second choices, but at least we won't be wasting money on paying transfer fees.

However, if Adams has the same success in recruiting, if he can keep the players he wants to keep, if we can keep clear of the type of injuries we had last year, if we get a half reasonable start, much better than last year, then who knows, maybe another Shrewsbury Town, or is that wishful thinking?

May 8, 2011
There are a number of Clubs in League 1 where the chairman/owner has and is pumping lots of their personal wealth into the Club hoping to get into the Championship, it is noticeable that most of these sacked their manager this season when the realisation that their dream had failed again.
If Rotherham do go up through the play offs then they will see that all the teams relegated from the Championship last year will have gone straight back, and despite all the millions they have pumped in it could happen next year as well. If it does if you supported one of these Clubs like Scunthorpe, Peterborough you would serious be worried that your owner may think how much more have I got to spend and stop!

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Also heard today (either on the wireless or SSN) that this is the first time (they didnt give a time scale so i will assume ever!) that all of the promoted teams in the Top 4 leagues stayed up.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
I think Sunderland may go straight back up but not sure about the other two. Everyone thought Blackburn were a joke when they came down and a basket case but they managed to go back up with relative ease. I'd say playoffs should be our goal.

Aug 22, 2008
Chicago
I would suggest it says more about the increasing strength of the Championship and the growing gap between that division and ours. Rather than this division being weaker than usual, a much higher quality of overseas players in the championship and more money has seen that division pull away since we were last in this position under Sturrock.

A

ArgyleAndy

HC Green said:
There are a number of Clubs in League 1 where the chairman/owner has and is pumping lots of their personal wealth into the Club hoping to get into the Championship, it is noticeable that most of these sacked their manager this season when the realisation that their dream had failed again.
If Rotherham do go up through the play offs then they will see that all the teams relegated from the Championship last year will have gone straight back, and despite all the millions they have pumped in it could happen next year as well. If it does if you supported one of these Clubs like Scunthorpe, Peterborough you would serious be worried that your owner may think how much more have I got to spend and stop!

Think Peterborough is a bad example as they make big profits on their players: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... eague.html

ArgyleAndy":lfh5esdc said:
HC Green":lfh5esdc said:

Think Peterborough is a bad example as they make big profits on their players: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... eague.html

Good spot that. Very interesting read.

Oct 14, 2015
Mark_Colling":mpyw3wey said:
I think that we probably have less than half of next season's first team signed up so anything could happen

But last seasons squad wasn't good enough though so new recruitment is needed

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
We missed a great opportunity this season. Poor start and finish cost us.

Yes it is definitely a weak league but our problem is we will be starting pretty much from scratch next season having lost most of our best players ( Matthews, Vyner, Fox, Oscar, ... )

Everything will depend on this summers recruitment which will need to be a damn site better than last year

A

andyr1963

mervyn":10nhufi7 said:
Musing as I do whilst mowing the lawn, it occurred to me that we must currently be in a weaker than usual league.

Firstly, if Rotherham beat Shrewsbury in the play-off final, all three relegated sides will have bounced straight back.

Secondly, two of the promoted teams, ourselves and Pompey, will have finished just outside the play-offs, with Doncaster not that far behind.

Thirdly, three of last year’s relegated sides from this league have all fared poorly, Chesterfield spectacularly so. Only Coventry have reached the play-offs.

Fourthly, managerial sackings in this league are nearly double those of the three other divisions, suggesting much poorer stewardship by our league rivals.

It just makes me think that if we can get some early momentum going this next season, we may never have a better opportunity to make the Championship.

What do you think?

Astute observations there.

Argyle, as posted elsewhere are 28 /1 to win the title next season, don't really think that will happen BUT Promotion is a very good shout. Argyle being underestimated again. :scarf:

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
samjones":2lzegzk7 said:
We missed a great opportunity thish season. Poor start and finish cost us.

Yes it is definitely a weak league but our problem is we will be starting pretty much from scratch next season having lost most of our best players ( Matthews, Vyner, Fox, Oscar, ... )

Everything will depend on this summers recruitment which will need to be a damn site better than last year

So Carey, Lameiras, Taylor, Ness and Sarcevic aren't our best players?

I wouldn't list Matthews or Threlkeld in that list either.

Sep 6, 2006
Mark Pedlar":1abex6vt said:
samjones":1abex6vt said:
We missed a great opportunity thish season. Poor start and finish cost us.

So Carey, Lameiras, Taylor, Ness and Sarcevic aren't our best players?

I wouldn't list Matthews or Threlkeld in that list either.

I would. And
Lameiras is very good one his day but how often is his day?

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
I must admit, the Championship looks formidably strong and full of teams awash with parachute payment money. It certainly seems like an almost insurmountable gap is beginning to form between the haves and have-nots ie Prem/Championship (or EPL 1 & 2 if you like) and L1 & 2 clubs. JB has already admitted he couldn't take Argyle any further than the next division up - if we don't do it next season I just wonder if he'll even be able to afford that particular target. :think: