A bit o catching up to do | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

A bit o catching up to do

Aug 26, 2011
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/footbal ... ssion=true

Main points are

£3.5 million raised by sales in the last two transfer windows and the price tribunal put on Ampadu was a joke

6 academy players In the last match day squad - 4 started

3 training sessions per week plus a day release from school - therefore more than twice the training we do

Their own state of the art 4G pitch - we still use the rediculously hard Saltmill which argyles own physios advise some of the lads not to train on when recovering from injuries

I’ve taken some stick on here before for my views on our academy but these facts speak for them selves

If we want a successful youth system it needs investment and big changes

Aug 26, 2011
NO I AM MOST DEFInATELY NOT

Mark lost any credibility that he may have had when he stated that Bently and Rose were better than Ampadu - who stood out as an 8 year old as someone very special

I did think you would comment Kentucky Green - about time to take head out of sand

Argyle Nutter

Golf Liaison Officer ⛳️
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
On the sunny side of the street
But how can we invest in the yoof & training facilities if all our income has to given to improve DA's 1st team budget. So when we are next on TV the pundits won't be able to knock us.

By the way I agree with you that it is going to take time for the infrastructure to be brought up to scratch, but I know this is the direction those at the helm are looking in.

G

Greenskin

Kentishgreen":1jwa59fh said:
You are Mark Matthews and I claim my £10

Mark Matthews is forever arguing that the current products of the youth system should be featuring in the first team,the OP is arguing that the current system is not good enough and needs a revamp to bring it up to Exeter standards.Not a valid comparison really.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Greenskin":1qwgkg0l said:
Kentishgreen":1qwgkg0l said:
You are Mark Matthews and I claim my £10

Mark Matthews is forever arguing that the current products of the youth system should be featuring in the first team,the OP is arguing that the current system is not good enough and needs a revamp to bring it up to Exeter standards.Not a valid comparison really.
When asked about the Academy the remarks Derek Adams made at his recent SG appearance were along the same lines as the OP.

Aug 5, 2015
So if they’re in L2 and we are in L1 who has the catching up to do? Of course we can and must do better but let’s not pretend the grass is greener up the A38. And I’m not sure they can claim credit for David Wheeler.

May 16, 2016
Well done to them and their set up. The problems might arise if they start to rely on or even expect the fantastic sums of money their system has produced so far to come in on a regular basis.

It would certainly be great to see some of that success one day replicated at Argyle.

Apr 26, 2018
It’s the small things in our academy that matter yet speaks volumes about where it is going wrong. Aprentices being paid for a 30 hour a week and doing more like double that. Playing away games on a Saturday then coming back to the club to do cleaning of changing rooms and equipment. Getting on a mini bus and going to training at any number of venues, Tavi, Marjons, Ivybridge get soaked through and travelling back again to do more jobs. No clear review system!!!!!!! .All these points are only scratching the surface. Unfortunately it starts at the top with the Old school methods of Kevin Hodges. Running ,running and more running 24 hrs b4 last 16 FA youth cup then him moaning that the boys ran out of steam in extras FFS. His outdated management and attitude to the boys is terrible. He only confirmed to myself and others recently when he gave his own son Harry a Pro Dev contract when it was quite clear that HH was the worse player in that age group. I know this is my first post and I haven’t pulled many punches but I have followed the youth for several years and what I see up the A38 compared to PAFC are light years apart.

May 8, 2011
Gremlin147":2lkpmnbw said:
It’s the small things in our academy that matter yet speaks volumes about where it is going wrong. Aprentices being paid for a 30 hour a week and doing more like double that. Playing away games on a Saturday then coming back to the club to do cleaning of changing rooms and equipment. Getting on a mini bus and going to training at any number of venues, Tavi, Marjons, Ivybridge get soaked through and travelling back again to do more jobs. No clear review system!!!!!!! .All these points are only scratching the surface. Unfortunately it starts at the top with the Old school methods of Kevin Hodges. Running ,running and more running 24 hrs b4 last 16 FA youth cup then him moaning that the boys ran out of steam in extras FFS. His outdated management and attitude to the boys is terrible. He only confirmed to myself and others recently when he gave his own son Harry a Pro Dev contract when it was quite clear that HH was the worse player in that age group. I know this is my first post and I haven’t pulled many punches but I have followed the youth for several years and what I see up the A38 compared to PAFC are light years apart.

Sorry that your son got released.
I was surprised by that, the one thing you missed out is that it is Derek Adams who decided who he gave contracts to and the one thing about Adams is that he doesn’t do sentiment.

Apr 26, 2018
Thank you HC . For the sake of boys about to start a journey as a first year apprentice things need to change. Football is all about opinions we all know that and accept it. For our academy to improve and compete with others it needs to be modernised. The run in the FA youth cup was great but let’s not kid our selves that we are moving forward more like treading water. I want what’s best for our club and academy , the club is going through change all the time why not the academy too?

Aug 4, 2011
8 out of 9 of Exeter's academy graduates were offered pro dev contracts at the end of this season too

May 8, 2011
football-bet-data":10lcvpn5 said:
8 out of 9 of Exeter's academy graduates were offered pro dev contracts at the end of this season too

Perhaps the standards expected by Paul Tisdale aren’t as high as Derek Adams? Just a different perspective on things.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
HC Green":3sczn44g said:
football-bet-data":3sczn44g said:

Perhaps the standards expected by Paul Tisdale aren’t as high as Derek Adams? Just a different perspective on things.

And becasue they probably cant afford the wages and signing on fees of other recruits. So DA tends to rotate his squad and bring in a fair number of players each year. Despite the criticism of the clubs budget, that cant be cheap.

So imagine being in Exeter's shoes with less resource than us. Bringing in the youngsters is their main source of recruitment.

Their model is different to ours. I imagine both teams would rather be in the middle that at polar opposites of the spectrum but that is just the cards each clubs have been dealt.

Would you swap our squad for a squad of potentially useful youngsters?