Number crunching - points required | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Number crunching - points required

Aug 5, 2005
Number of points Argyle require to make it impossible for the following teams to catch us, regardless of goal difference. Includes all teams who can overtake Argyle

Blackpool - 2
Bristol Rovers - 5
Doncaster - 5
Peterborough - 7
Portsmouth - 9
Bradford - 10
Charlton - 11
Scunthorpe - 13

Four wins guarantees the playoffs

Sep 13, 2003
Does this list take into account the fact most of the teams here play some games against each other Mike?

Sep 23, 2003
location, location.
If Charlton draw with Portsmouth we might need 9 points.
If Portsmouth beat Charlton we might need 9 points
If Charlton beat Portsmouth we might need 11 points

That's without considering our result against Northampton.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
If Charlton beat Portsmouth that makes it a 3 horse race between us, Charlton and Scunthorpe for the last 2 places.

From Quizmike's list worst case scenario we need 11, assuming of course we don't be Scunthorpe, if we did win there then it's 10 max.

The only variable I'd watch out for would be Bradford, I know they're on a slip but their remaining games are mostly mid-league teams. Their "toughest" being Scunthorpe on the final day.

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
Over the last five games points per team as follows

Rotherham 8
Charlton 7
Scunthorpe 6
Argyle 10
Pompous 8
Peterbuckled 4
Bradford 7

It is entirely in our own hands

Jan 6, 2004
Willis88":1owjhme2 said:
If Charlton beat Portsmouth that makes it a 3 horse race between us, Charlton and Scunthorpe for the last 2 places.

From Quizmike's list worst case scenario we need 11, assuming of course we don't be Scunthorpe, if we did win there then it's 10 max.

The only variable I'd watch out for would be Bradford, I know they're on a slip but their remaining games are mostly mid-league teams. Their "toughest" being Scunthorpe on the final day.

Even if Bradford were to win all their remaining games, which they wont, we would still only need 8 points from 5 games to finish above them. No way are Bradford finishing higher than us.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Green_Flash":1e0xsk22 said:
Willis88":1e0xsk22 said:

Even if Bradford were to win all their remaining games, which they wont, we would still only need 8 points from 5 games to finish above them. No way are Bradford finishing higher than us.

Maybe not for us but for that final spot who knows. Charlton slip up against Pompy and Bradford could kick them out.

May 4, 2015
Bit too much arrogance around this.

It is not inconceivable that we lose or next two away games and then next Saturday becomes a must win. Not over by a looong stretch - especially with a depleted squad, and is Matthews 100% fully focused considering his off the field situation?

Jan 6, 2004
There have been numerous occasions since November when there has been a fear the team will let us down in an important game- it only happened once, at Charlton, and we bounced right back. There is no reason to think we will lose our next two away games against struggling clubs. Of course it is possible, but imo not likely.

Sep 6, 2006
Charlton concern me. Very inconsistent but they have the quality. If they beat Pompey tomorrow can see them winning final 2 games. And I don't see us getting 11 points.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Balham_Green":1x7yxxpk said:
Charlton concern me. Very inconsistent but they have the quality. If they beat Pompey tomorrow can see them winning final 2 games. And I don't see us getting 11 points.

You couldn’t see us getting out of the bottom 4 so this post gives me hope.