Can this be morally right? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Can this be morally right?

meetoo

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jul 29, 2010
On the official Argyle website you can only submit a vote for the Player of the Year, Young Player of the Year if you tick the box to be inundated with emails from the Club, Partners etc. Also, is this a way of getting around the new rules on unsolicited emails?
I for one am not impressed with this!

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
To be honest, if that's true and you don't want to be inundated, don't enter.

In your heart of hearts you know it should be Carey and Vyner, so just chill and let everyone else worry.

Opps, :)

meetoo":2f12dfr1 said:
On the official Argyle website you can only submit a vote for the Player of the Year, Young Player of the Year if you tick the box to be inundated with emails from the Club, Partners etc. Also, is this a way of getting around the new rules on unsolicited emails?

Sounds like you need to seriously unwind. So the club will send you a few emails, so what?

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I actually agree. That really has to be optional, it would normally say ‘if’ you want to hear from them, so to force you to do so when the alternative to vote is physically handing in a form is a bit... off. So much so that I suspect it’s a formatting mistake.

Regardless of all the Argyle stuff that I don’t need if I use Pasoti ;), ‘occasional emails from sponsors and partners’ could be a lot of emails and a lot of your personal info out there.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Biggs":npyjccgk said:
I actually agree. That really has to be optional, it would normally say ‘if’ you want to hear from them, so to force you to do so when the alternative to vote is physically handing in a form is a bit... off. So much so that I suspect it’s a formatting mistake.

Regardless of all the Argyle stuff that I don’t need if I use Pasoti ;), ‘occasional emails from sponsors and partners’ could be a lot of emails.
That's the way I see it. It actually does state:

We want you to be first to know about New Signings, Competitions, Club News, Ticket Availability and occasional offers from official sponsors and partners. To stay updated, please tick this box.

That would indicate that you do have a choice. So a problem with the form?

Sep 25, 2003
Carbis Bay
Keepitgreen":aexve3cs said:
Biggs":aexve3cs said:

Regardless of all the Argyle stuff that I don’t need if I use Pasoti ;), ‘occasional emails from sponsors and partners’ could be a lot of emails.
That's the way I see it. It actually does state:

We want you to be first to know about New Signings, Competitions, Club News, Ticket Availability and occasional offers from official sponsors and partners. To stay updated, please tick this box.

That would indicate that you do have a choice. So a problem with the form?

Sounds like it. From 25th May this would be considered illegal due to GDPR.

Theoretically they can collect data like this now but it’s not considered correct.

meetoo

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jul 29, 2010
Maidenhead Green":1e0kuot9 said:
meetoo":1e0kuot9 said:

Sounds like you need to seriously unwind. So the club will send you a few emails, so what?
Who on earth said I'm wound up.... I think you'll find I said that I was not impressed ;) My question related to the fact that you could only vote if you agreed to accept emails from the Club and all and sundry. It maybe that it's an error in the formatting as suggested and I hope it is but just recently due to the new rules on unsolicited contact a number of Companies are using some really underhand tactics to snare an audience for the future. I appreciate you can unsubscribe but that often doesn't work and you get into a cycle of contact to get rid of them.
Finally, I sincerely apologise for having the audacity to criticise PAFC should anyone think I have :)

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
meetoo":36p7gnod said:

So let's get this right...you have contacted the club about this haven't you?

You know, to point out that there may be an error in the voting format?

Or have you just gone with both barrels, berating the club on a public forum first?

meetoo

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jul 29, 2010
For the record my view is that if it's intentional then its immoral in that its underhand and devious. If it's an error then I'm sure it will be changed due to the power of Pasoti. Have I contacted the club? Well that's between me and the club ;) Have I voted? Yes, Fox and Cooper if you're interested :)

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
meetoo":uc48hfnl said:
For the record my view is that if it's intentional then its immoral in that its underhand and devious. If it's an error then I'm sure it will be changed due to the power of Pasoti. Have I contacted the club? Well that's between me and the club ;) Have I voted? Yes, Fox and Cooper if you're interested :)

That'll be a "no" then!

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
meetoo":1jh8l7ro said:

Doing something intentionally doesn't equate it to being immoral, underhand or devious. Doing something intentionally while trying to deceive is immoral, underhand, or devious. So in what way are Argyle trying to deceive or con you out of something?

If this bothers you so much, why haven't you got a seperate email address away from your personal one which you can use for websites (as, to be fair, nearly all online sites expect you to enter an email address). There are plenty of free ones out there like, say, mail.com. Or is this too immoral, underhand or devious for you to do?

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Quinny":78fjjcjd said:
Doing something intentionally doesn't equate it to being immoral, underhand or devious. Doing something intentionally while trying to deceive is immoral, underhand, or devious. So in what way are Argyle trying to deceive or con you out of something?

If this bothers you so much, why haven't you got a seperate email address away from your personal one which you can use for websites (as, to be fair, nearly all online sites expect you to enter an email address). There are plenty of free ones out there like, say, mail.com. Or is this too immoral, underhand or devious for you to do?

Have to disagree with nearly all of that. The value and misuse of personal data is a hot topic at the moment, and quite apart from receiving a load of emails that I don’t want, I have no idea where my email address, name and god knows what else is going to those ‘sponsors and partners’. Now obviously I don’t think Ginsters are going to use it in quite as sinister fashion as Facebook, but I’d much rather opt out regardless.

And setting up another email account just to vote for player of the year, is a bit much. Don’t you think?

As a couple of us have said, it’s likely to be a mistake as it doesn’t say on the form that you HAVE to tick that box to proceed, and nor should it.