AFT Calls for Investigation | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

AFT Calls for Investigation

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
http://www.argylefanstrust.com/2018/04/ ... tponement/

The AFT tonight produced this statement in relation to today's postponed game:

The Argyle Fans’ Trust was disappointed by the late postponement of today’s Scunthorpe United v Plymouth Argyle fixture.

We accept that inclement weather is something that travelling supporters will always have to deal with, we feel that additional questions arise about today’s events:

1. The weather forecast for Scunthorpe was known in advance and there was discussion as to whether the game would go ahead.

2. It appears that Scunthorpe did not attempt to cover the pitch, as they could have done. Is there a reason as to why no attempt was made to cover the pitch?

3. The referee’s arrival was delayed: the pitch inspection took place immediately he arrived and the game was called off at 1140. Why wasn’t a local referee asked to make an earlier inspection? This could have prevented many of our fans having travelled a long distance before the game was called off.

4. Why was this fixture scheduled for the Easter weekend at all? Bank holidays pose special problems for travelling supporters because of cancelled and reduced public transport, road closures and weight of traffic but the further the journey, the worse the impact can be.

Scunthorpe is the fourth longest trip for Argyle fans. At approximately 318 miles, only Bradford’s 330 miles, Fleetwood’s 325 miles and Blackpool’s 321 miles are further. There are many closer teams in the division which would have been more suitable opponents for a Bank Holiday fixture.

This is not the first time that our travelling supporters have had a long and expensive Bank Holiday away trip pointlessly ruined. Two years ago, motorway congestion led many fans to miss a Good Friday game at Morecambe altogether.

As Argyle supporters make similar journeys to almost every away game during which we clock up an agonising 6021 miles this season, we realise more than anybody the problems that travelling can face . However, in this instance we feel we have been badly let down. Nothing can be done about too much rain but something could, and should have been done to ameliorate the situation.

We call on the EFL and the FA to investigate why the pitch cover was not used , why an earlier inspection was not held and to ensure that Bank Holiday fixtures are arranged in future so as to minimise long-distance travel for supporters of geographically remote teams.

Aug 5, 2005
Really? To what end?

You want an investigation as to why a local referee can't call the game off? (They can't)

You want an investigation into how the fixture list is compiled (Google how it works)

You want an investigation as to the workings of the Scunthorpe groundsmen? Do you not think they would have done everything to keep the game on?

You are making the club look like sour minded idiots.

Aug 5, 2005
Honestly, do you think that every club which suffers a last minute postponement DEMANDS an investigation. The FA do this as a matter of course.

You are making us look stupid

Jan 20, 2004
Typical of this day and age, someone is to blame and pay for it ! We're all p#ssed that the game was postponed but sh#t happens.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Clubs actually ask for local games to NOT be held on Bank Holidays. Argyle played Southend on Good Friday, a day they can expect a large gate whoever they play. Why waste that day on someone like Bristol Rovers when that fixture is likely to draw a big crowd at any time of the season.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
For those of those that want Trust run clubs I hope this shows why so many are against it.

QuizMike has it bang on. I do hope whoever it is you’ve complained to doesn’t think you speak on behalf of the majority of us.

Pompous windbags!

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Who do you think you are?

Thank goodness you don't represent the club.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
There was me thinking standing up for fans who made a needless five hour trip (and who knows if they’ll get their money back) could be a good thing to do.

We often say we’ve got the best fans in the league- so why not support them when they’ve been forced to make needless journeys.

To my mind, as a humble non AFT board member who helps with the fanzine, standing up for fans who the authorities don’t care about is exactly what the AFT is mandated for. Didn’t we all moan at the stupidity of the FA for the Morecambe incident two years ago? The more things change the more they stay the same etc etc

Feb 8, 2005
And who/where are these fans going to get their money back from, Sam?

It's a waste of time and effort. Our Football Club have accepted the decision without showing any concern. These things happen, and we supporters accept it when it happens.

To my way of thinking the AFT should be more supportive of the Club's decisions in these types of things. Criticise the Club, if circumstances warrant it, but don't bother going out on a limb without support from within.

By the way, the circumstances do not dictate an immediate response by the AFT. They could quite easily seek the views of their fanbase before deciding on embarking on this course of action.

The AFT should have some sort of mandate before further action is envisaged, and the further action should be dictated by the members, not the hierarchy!!

Not a very well thought out plan, I'm afraid.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
How’s this being critical of our club? It’s relating to Scunthorpe and their handling of it as well as EFL scheduling

Aug 5, 2005
GreenSam":tk40mfx2 said:
There was me thinking standing up for fans who made a needless five hour trip (and who knows if they’ll get their money back) could be a good thing to do.

We often say we’ve got the best fans in the league- so why not support them when they’ve been forced to make needless journeys.

To my mind, as a humble non AFT board member who helps with the fanzine, standing up for fans who the authorities don’t care about is exactly what the AFT is mandated for. Didn’t we all moan at the stupidity of the FA for the Morecambe incident two years ago? The more things change the more they stay the same etc etc

Sam,

Thank you for coming on here in the face of criticism. It is appreciated.

May I ask who decided to demand the investigation and how many fans were consulted? And which authorities does the AFT think don't care about us? Scunthorpe? The FA? The rain gods?

Can I also plead that before any press releases are made, to think of how badly this would go down with Scunthorpe if the AFT start blaming them. We do not want to get distracted by causing an unnecessary row with another club during the last seven games of the season.

Nobody should be in any doubt that Scunthorpe did the best to get the game on, and if they didn't the referees report will show this. Telling Scunthorpe that Argyle fans blame them for a wasted journey and have gone through official channels makes us look like w******s

Feb 8, 2005
GreenSam":2uhte9j5 said:
How’s this being critical of our club? It’s relating to Scunthorpe and their handling of it as well as EFL scheduling

If Argyle were critical of the actions of Scunthorpe football club regarding the incident, then I could understand the criticism from the AFT, who would then be seen to be backing the Club in its criticism.

But the Club have not made any further comment and have accepted the decision.

By criticising Scunthorpe, and the football league, the AFT are taking decisions that could be seen to be criticising our Club, who are not making any waves about it at all.

The AFT should take its lead from the football club in these circumstances.

I would suggest that a poll of the fanbase would not give the AFT authority to comment as it did, as I don't think the fanbase would think further comment would be necessary.

The AFT did not poll its members, so it cannot say that it has the backing of the majority of its fanbase in any case, so what is the point?

It would seem that the actions of the AFT have been a bit of a kneejerk reaction, in order to give itself a bit of publicity, it seems to me.

Aug 5, 2005
I mean imagine if it was the other way around.

Imagine if Scunthorpe were playing at Home Park and the game was called off with two hours to go. How would we feel if the Scunthorpe official fans group called for an official investigation from the FA into how we protect our pitch?

Honestly, what would you think of Scunthorpe if they did that?

Aug 5, 2005
And for the record, Chesterfield, Doncaster, Morecambe and Bradford all had waterlogged pitches today. No sign of any call for official investigations about any of them