Charlton Matchday Thread | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Charlton Matchday Thread

Am sure plenty of people started travelling earlier than me this morning. What time did you all set off ?

On my way from East Sussex. First visit to the Valley was November 1976, a 3-1 defeat. Reckon we’ll reverse that scoreline today. COYG !!!

lipsonlad67

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 17, 2016
Deepest Lincolnshire
I think the last time I went to the Valley, they had Hales and Flanagan up front. A good few years ago and the ground of course a lot to different to now, that East Terrace was something.

Anyway, setting off in a bit over an hour, train from Grantham and getting into Kings Cross for before midday. Will take it from there...

Tynan One Nil

🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 23, 2013
Last time I was there Ebanks- Blake and Hayles were up front probably the “strongest” frontline we’ve ever had, a real handful. It was a great night with a good Argyle following and if today is anything similar everyone’s in for a treat. Bring back 3 points!

Oct 14, 2015
Last time we played against a club in a similar mess both on and off the pitch was Leyton Orient couple seasons ago when they had 2 players sent off, one in the first 20 seconds. We won 0-2 against the 9 men. Today I sense a red card for them and a penalty for us borne out of frustration by their players because of the mess they appear to be in. Going for a 1-4 victory.

lien60

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2006
plymouth
Winchelsea Green":10u8ml5j said:
Am sure plenty of people started travelling earlier than me this morning. What time did you all set off ?

On my way from East Sussex. First visit to the Valley was November 1976, a 3-1 defeat. Reckon we’ll reverse that scoreline today. COYG !!!

Left Plymouth on the 0750 train

Feb 2, 2007
Tight game against a bunch of players with a point to prove and a caretaker nutter in charge.

1-1;would be a useful result.

Oct 20, 2015
nick_PASTIE":5w05lubb said:
Tight game against a bunch of players with a point to prove and a caretaker nutter in charge.

1-1;would be a useful result.

Yep I'll take a goal each all day long. Tough away game, manager or no manager. Presume we still haven't got Sonny back in action?

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
lipsonlad67":2k9rn34p said:
I think the last time I went to the Valley, they had Hales and Flanagan up front. A good few years ago and the ground of course a lot to different to now, that East Terrace was something.

Anyway, setting off in a bit over an hour, train from Grantham and getting into Kings Cross for before midday. Will take it from there...

I used to go in the 70s as well.....you could get 40,000 on the east banking....my son and his mate when bored with the game would run up and down that banking for fun....you could walk all around the ground without barriers to stop you. Problem was when Sunderland visited...thousands of skin heads with shortened trousers, braces and bother boots and tins of lager hanging out of every conceivable pocket or just stuffed in their shirts....just walking around the ground and sitting or standing where they fancied.
It introduced my son and his mate to the other side of football supporting.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Off but also on topic - my first two visits to the Valley were non-football events: all-day festivals in 1974 and 1976, both headlined by The Who, with maybe 80-100,000 people crammed in. (That vast terrace was still there, and the pitch was full as well.)

An ugly atmosphere both times, I remember - but then again, the mid-70s in general pretty much oozed ugly atmosphere! Indeed, the 1976 event was genuinely called The Who Put the Boot In. (Google it if you don't beleve me.) Can't imagine that today, somehow!

Yes, kids, this is what the mid-70s looked like:

Charlton-76-mstarnges-balloons-brollies.jpg

That photo, plus four others on the web page I took it from, is marked © Martin Starnes. It couldn't possibly be, could it...?