Ryan Taylor | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Ryan Taylor

Nov 25, 2015
I’m a big fan of Taylor and it’s no coincidence that our upturn in fortunes this season coincided with his return from injury, but watching the game on Saturday I couldn’t help but think that he just hadn’t got enough natural ability for a forward at the level we’re currently at.

He works hard, holds the ball up brilliantly and gets us up the pitch. But, he offers a minimal goal threat, and lacks the pace to get into the box from the deep positions he often drifts into.

I just think that even if we’re still in League One next season it’s an area we need to strengthen.

Feb 2, 2007
Sorry don’t agree.

He’s better than Mickey Evans in my view and in this team and with the shape Derek plays he is pivotal to our success and has been since last January. He is good with the ball at his feet but Strong, loves a tussle and gets us up the pitch. Rovers did well to stop him on Saturday but in most games this season he has contributed directly or indirectly to as many goals as Carey.

We need good back up and someone of a similar level but no more in L1.

Oct 16, 2016
He’s a cracker, his movement and guile are huge qualities and he is pivotal.

Take him out and this elongated purple patch is brown

May 4, 2015
Disagree totally. One of the first 3 on the team sheet for me. What he lacks in pace and creativity, we have from Carey and Lamerias. He's a poacher, and a bl00dy good target man who brings others in to play, and occupies the back 4 for 90 minutes.

The sort of pain in the a55 striker I'd rather have on our side than against us

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Worth his weight in gold to this team particularly the system Adams likes to play.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Jannerbear":2tbvh8fg said:
I’m a big fan of Taylor and it’s no coincidence that our upturn in fortunes this season coincided with his return from injury, but watching the game on Saturday I couldn’t help but think that he just hadn’t got enough natural ability for a forward at the level we’re currently at.

He works hard, holds the ball up brilliantly and gets us up the pitch. But, he offers a minimal goal threat, and lacks the pace to get into the box from the deep positions he often drifts into.

I just think that even if we’re still in League One next season it’s an area we need to strengthen.
Are you serious or on a windup mission?

Penlee

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
I said on another thread that my Rovers chums singled him out as our best player. They'd never seen him before.

Most polls gave him 6. Perhaps we are getting complacent about just what a huge contribution he makes.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Penlee":2hjk9z2r said:
I said on another thread that my Rovers chums singled him out as our best player. They'd never seen him before.

Most polls gave him 6. Perhaps we are getting complacent about just what a huge contribution he makes.

I think that there is a huge element there of: Whilst the defenders are tied up with Taylor, they aren't covering everybody else!! Carey was 2-3 players on him, before Lameiras came in and Taylor came back = results!! :scarf:
Then Sarcevic and Ness came in: Who you gonna mark? - Goalbusters!! :scarf:

Aug 3, 2017
I just love the contradiction in the opening statement. “...our upturn coincided with his return from injury”. An upturn that saw us go from bottom to 7th. “...hasn’t the natural ability for a forward at the level we’re currently at”. So his reintroduction to the team cannot have had anything to do with the upturn in results?

If you’re saying is he first name on a team sheet in the Championship then I’d argue most of our starting 11 are in that category. However, to say he isn’t good for L1 is laughable.

Do we need a 15+ goal a season striker? I’d love one, but it isn’t a necessity.

Nov 4, 2012
He is the reason Carey and Ruben are allowed to be so influential. He doesn't just win headers. He picks out players with his headers. He's a very intelligent footballer. The best striker we've had in a long long time.

Jan 6, 2004
What a crazy post. He is the target man of a quality most teams in this division crave. His comeback is the biggest reason for our surge up the table. I cant say he is better than Mickey Evans, but he deserves to be mentioned in the same breath, and that is high praise indeed.

Oct 14, 2015
He takes a complete battering every game with opposing teams Centre Halves normally built like Smeatons Tower it's not a position I'd want to play. His effort and commitment to the team is immense but because he doesn't score as often as Carey for example then his performances seem to go unnoticed because, wrongly in my opinion, players like Tayor are probably based on goals scored and not their all round contribution to the game.

Jan 27, 2012
Taylor is a great player for Argyle and he needs to be offered a new contract to sign ASAP.

I wouldn't say he is better than Mickey Evans, but he is certainly the best "hold the ball up" player Argyle have had since Evans left the club. I think he's really important to the team.

He might not score many goals or have loads of pace, but that's not his role in the team. He is a striker who plays very deep and mostly with his back to goal. He's mostly there to set goals up, not necessarily score them himself.

You might see good quality target men in the Premier League and Championship who also have pace and goals about their game. But we are talking about the likes of Saloman Rondon who cost £12 million.

Feb 2, 2007
Can we lock the thread now- Jannerbear has been roundly trounced.

Moral of the story- don’t let bears loose on the net.

Jul 29, 2010
davie nine":ojjgetvn said:
Jannerbear":ojjgetvn said:

Are you serious or on a windup mission?
'Twas my first thought too. Very odd. I mean, of all the people in the team to call out for not being good enough, Ryan Taylor? :crazy:

Judging by the reaction to date I would say that I am, for once at leas, in step with popular opinion.

Some of his flick-ons on Sat'dy were absolute top drawer and the way he occupied and annoyed both centre halves was clear to see... for those prepared to look of course. I suspect any Ryan Taylor criticism can only come from the binary types I seem to keep fighting across space and time, those who count forwards only in terms of goals scored. Forwards come in all shapes and sizes and play different roles... and Ryan Taylor is the perfect size and shape to play the role Derek Adams needs in this system.

I'll say it again as I did on Sat'dy though, Ellis Harrison would also fit perfectly into DA's system. He too was excellent in first phase possession, but in addition also has bags of pace too. It was no surprise to me to hear Adams has made previous approaches to Rovers about him, I wouldn't rule out another on that performance.