Adams in demand? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Adams in demand?

Jan 6, 2004
He has got a fantastic team together but it has taken him a long time to do it. We have quite a lot of falters along the way and played ugly football for much of the last few years. We have also had a habit of choking at the end of the season.

If Adams gets us to the play offs after the start we had it would be miraculous but I don't think it would mean clubs will be breaking down our doors to get at him; his record overall record at Argyle is good but not barnstorming - particularly in league two where we had one of the biggest budgets. In other words I don't think he is quick fix for a club and I don't think he will be that appealing to clubs much bigger than Argyle - promotion to the championship and consolidation there and his stock will really rise.

Jan 20, 2005
Plymouth, Devon
Chairmen and managers talk. If Adams does succeed in getting into the play-offs with, apparently, not the biggest of League One budgets then his stock will be very high. Other club owners/chairmen will know roughly what Argyle's budget is and to get into the play-offs, especially with our poor start too, will also increase Adams' stock even further.

It will be a fantastic headache for Mr Brent and Mr Starnes to have, that's for sure...

Jan 6, 2004
Leon Horn":252l2538 said:
Chairmen and managers talk. If Adams does succeed in getting into the play-offs with, apparently, not the biggest of League One budgets then his stock will be very high. Other club owners/chairmen will know roughly what Argyle's budget is and to get into the play-offs, especially with our poor start too, will also increase Adams' stock even further.

It will be a fantastic headache for Mr Brent and Mr Starnes to have, that's for sure...

True, but you cannot just ignore the start of the season, fact is that he basically lost the dressing room for a couple of months and discipline went out of the window. There is no doubt that he made some bum signings and did not have adequate cover for key players meaning injuries devastated us.

I will give him all the credit in the world for turning this around, but he must also shoulder responsibility for the poor start as well.

Oct 24, 2013
Green_Flash":eoown1ji said:
He has got a fantastic team together but it has taken him a long time to do it. We have quite a lot of falters along the way and played ugly football for much of the last few years. We have also had a habit of choking at the end of the season.

If Adams gets us to the play offs after the start we had it would be miraculous but I don't think it would mean clubs will be breaking down our doors to get at him; his record overall record at Argyle is good but not barnstorming - particularly in league two where we had one of the biggest budgets. In other words I don't think he is quick fix for a club and I don't think he will be that appealing to clubs much bigger than Argyle - promotion to the championship and consolidation there and his stock will really rise.

DA has said him himself; if he gets us there or thereabouts the Championship, he will no longer be our manager.

Jan 6, 2004
And that is what I am disputing Lyndhurst. I am not convinced demand for him will be as high as that. In any event you cannot read too much into an off the cuff comment - we don't really know what he meant, he may not have even meant to say what he did.

Nov 3, 2006
Green_Flash":31amtkx2 said:
Leon Horn":31amtkx2 said:

True, but you cannot just ignore the start of the season, fact is that he basically lost the dressing room for a couple of months and discipline went out of the window. There is no doubt that he made some bum signings and did not have adequate cover for key players meaning injuries devastated us.

I will give him all the credit in the world for turning this around, but hel must also shoulder responsibility for the poor start as well.

Agree on the signings but a bit much to say he 'lost the dressing room'. I very much doubt he'd be here now if that was the case.

E

Electronic

I think his record is remarkable - play-off finalists, automatic promotion and then (likely) at least comfortable survival a division higher. What more could be asked of him - and on reportedly middling budgets. Throw into the mix that he is only 42 and I think he will have lots of options open to him.

Be interesting to see a video of his comments about the top 6 to understand the context. Concern is that he sees Argyle’s current glass ceiling as the top half of League One.

Jan 6, 2004
Disagree his league two record is remarkable - we had one of the biggest budgets in league two and arguably promotion happened a year later than anticipated.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I’m not so sure that he had a ‘big budget’ in League 2.
Bear in mind that we did not finally clear the historic debt ‘millstone’ until October 2016.

G

Greenskin

Green_Flash":2aeyvbet said:
Leon Horn":2aeyvbet said:

I will give him all the credit in the world for turning this around, but he must also shoulder responsibility for the poor start as well.

How do you know that he "lost the dressing room" which is one of the most overused and absurd cliches in football anyway? And where do you get your information that Argyle "had one of the biggest budgets in league 2" when all the anecdotal evidence would suggest that this was far from the case? For sure one or two of the signings have not really come off but there would certainly be a counter balance in the recruitment of Edwards,Tounami and the surprising re-emergence of Lameiras and Ness,not to mention the more recent signing of Vyner.Plain truth is that signing of Tounami and the availability of Taylor were the true turning points,nothing to do with losing dressing rooms or any other peripheral nonsense.The presence of Tounami clearly added authority and presence to the Argyle midfield and the ability of Taylor to hold the ball up has enabled players like Lameiras and Carey to adopt a different style of play.You seem to be a little short sighted when looking at the bigger picture-possibly other clubs chairmen would look at a manager who has been at a club for less than three years but in that time has taken an essentially upper mid table outfit in league 2 and turned it into a play off challenging one in the next league up under seemingly limited financial conditions and judge matters rather differently,especially if the current form is maintained until the end of the season.

Oct 24, 2013
Green_Flash":26yrwur4 said:
And that is what I am disputing Lyndhurst. I am not convinced demand for him will be as high as that. In any event you cannot read too much into an off the cuff comment - we don't really know what he meant, he may not have even meant to say what he did.

Surely demand will be high for a young manager consistently demonstrably over achieving in both his managerial jobs. For me, top 6 or not, he would be a no brainier appointment for a relegated championship club in the summer be it Sunderland, Bolton etc.

Jan 6, 2004
Sorry are you saying when we do badly it is not his fault but when we do well he should take all the credit? If not, not quite sure what your argument is. The first part of the season WAS his fault for various reasons but he has done brilliantly to turn it around. I don't think that is particularly controversial to be honest.

We can argue about his league two achievements, but suffice to say there were few big clubs knocking at the end of last season.

Jan 6, 2004
I will say that the worst possible outcome for us may be a losing play off final appearance. That sort of showcase may lead to an exodus of our best players to Championship teams and we could be looking at building the team all over again. In my view if we get to the playoffs the club is definitely better off getting promoted and should pull out all the stops.

Jul 7, 2008
Plymouth/Bristol
lyndhurst green":20hb82el said:
DA has said him himself; if he gets us there or thereabouts the Championship, he will no longer be our manager.

I'm not doubting this statement, but it's the first time I've heard it. Out of interest when, and in what context, was it said?

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Green_Flash":x0vqawct said:
Sorry are you saying when we do badly it is not his fault but when we do well he should take all the credit? If not, not quite sure what your argument is. The first part of the season WAS his fault for various reasons but he has done brilliantly to turn it around. I don't think that is particularly controversial to be honest.

We can argue about his league two achievements, but suffice to say there were few big clubs knocking at the end of last season.
So, you are saying that, in the first 12 games, it was DA's fault that Taylor, Threlkeld and McCormick sustained serious injuries and 5 of our team were sent off.

After that 12th game (roughly a quarter of the season), against Fleetwood, we had 5 points; since then we have played another 20 games and accumulated 39 points. It seems that you, and many others, could not accept that the situation we found ourselves in after 12 games was mainly down to bad luck rather than poor management. I can understand that some will blame him for the disciplinary record although he probably did not foresee it because of our excellent discipline in his first 2 seasons.

I would suggest that it is the mark of a good manager to be able to change things around so dramatically.

He will probably already have turned more than a few heads but I sincerely hope that he stays with us because of the respect he has for his employers and because he is an excellent manager. However, who could blame him if he thought that it would only need another brief change of fortunes for his detractors to get the knives out again.