League one manager sackings | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

League one manager sackings

With the sacking of oxford’s manager this morning, I note that our league is now responsible for a third of all sackings across the top four divisions. I could understand this more if it were the premiership or championship with owners nervous about losing major investments in their clubs, but why so many at our level, with barely any costly transfer risks takenl? Any thoughts?

Jun 24, 2008
Maybe the fear of falling behind or going back into league two football. It is quite shocking though.

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
It's a competitive league, a lot of teams think they have a realistic chance of playoffs and when they clearly aren't going to achieve it, the owners are pressing the panic button.

We are different in the sense that we didn't get rid of Derek when we sat bottom of the league, and slowly but surely we have found our feet and shown that maybe sacking a manager isn't always the correct decision.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
LeonTheGreen":xtwsl3ra said:
We are different in the sense that we didn't get rid of Derek when we sat bottom of the league, and slowly but surely we have found our feet and shown that maybe sacking a manager isn't always the correct decision.
It should always be a something of last resort. It creates short term turmoil & instability, it’s usually a costly exercise, the new manager will probably want to bring in ‘their’ people and want new players and it’s something that can have a damaging long term consequence if a club seen to be trigger-happy as it will struggle to attract good applicants in the future unless they can offer silly money (which we certainly can’t!). The flip side is that if a club is seen to be stable, patient & supportive of their manager they will be much more attractive when the time eventually comes to make such an important decision. Maybe I’m being naïve, but I’d like to think that DA will have appreciated the support he’s been shown and be much more minded to stay if and when other clubs come sniffing around in the future …….. I think we are a really good fit for someone like him – ie someone who wouldn’t take kindly to interference from above and wants to be fully involved in all aspects of the club’s development not just a coach of the first team (there aren’t a lot of clubs like that these days).

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Sacked with his side 10th in League One.

On his appointment...
“Pep was the unanimous choice of the board and we believe he will build on the significant progress we have made over the past three years and accelerate our collective objective of sustainable Championship status. He is committed to building on our existing infrastructure, based on our excellent coaching and backroom and recruitment team and continuing to develop our attractive playing philosophy."

So they no longer think those things, presumably?

Lee Johnson is a great example of sticking with your manager and allowing him time to to get his methods across. That simply isn't possible with the short term outlook at some clubs, though.

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
Yes it's league 1 but some of these clubs have had an astonishing amount of investment, hence the sackings!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I'm not sure why Oxford think they should be above the likes of Blackburn, Wigan, Portsmouth, Bradford, Charlton, Peterborough and Doncaster (and us, of course).

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
Biggs":176fv01t said:
I'm not sure why Oxford think they should be above the likes of Blackburn, Wigan, Portsmouth, Bradford, Charlton, Peterborough and Doncaster (and us, of course).

Because if money is pumped into something whoever pumps it in will want to see a return. Some investors are not patient! It is all driven by money. Just look at some of the clubs in the league at this time. On history, fan base and turnover they would be competing in non league football but for massive investment!
It is simply unsustainable.
It depends on who is investing. If they have an avid interest or affliation i.e a fan, then they may be more patient but simply investing to make money then not, I suspect!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Is Darryl Eales' level of investment on a par with those clubs? I know they've spent some money (incl on Curtis Nelson) but I didn't think it was a massive amount.

And in terms of their turnover, am I right in saying they can't make too much cash from their stadium as it's still owned by Firoz Kassam?

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Only picked up 17 points from their last 16 games. Usually relegation form. Been playing terribly over the last couple of months too apparently and their playing philosophy is quite important to them. They lost 7-0 to Wigan last month and then a defeat against bottom of the league Bury, who hadn't even scored for months was the final straw. It does seem justifiable if broken down.

Argy1e":1xw8dgs0 said:
Only picked up 17 points from their last 16 games. Usually relegation form. Been playing terribly over the last couple of months too apparently and their playing philosophy is quite important to them. They lost 7-0 to Wigan last month and then a defeat against bottom of the league Bury, who hadn't even scored for months was the final straw. It does seem justifiable if broken down.

Good points. I’m feeling mildly smug after suggesting a month ago that if you have to have a bad run, then better at the start of the season, where we now have a battle hardened team playing with confidence for the rest of the season and, hopefully, the only way is up. Every season seems to produce a team like Oxford or Southend who suddenly slide down the table and struggle to get out of the mire.

John Cooper

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
Bugger. It’ll be new manager syndrome when we visit next month....

Penlee

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
I think we'll have a very good turnout there I know loads of Plymouth based that are going and a load of SE exiles will turn up too

:scarf:

Feb 2, 2007
Very harsh sacking of Pep, which may be due to the imminent sale of Ryan Ledson to PNE for £1M Plus. Oxford have done great business producing or buying talent and then selling for big money, such as Roofe, ODowda, Marvin Johnson and potentially Ledson but the cupboard is less full and I would imagine without Curtis Nelson and Rob Hall long term Pep would have had concerns about the strength of the team.

Not sure who is lined up to replace but I presume that’s a done deal. Real shame Mappleton went to Leicester as I think they would be Top 5 this season if he’d stayed.

Jan 16, 2018
Sometimes, just, sometimes I'm glad we have ownership where common sense prevails.. I know it's easy in hindsight but I'm very glad we kept hold of Derek Adams. I'm hoping our early season debacle might pay dividends next season and create a strong unity across the club for valiant play-off push.