Enjoying the Football | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Enjoying the Football

Aug 24, 2008
Anyone else really enjoying the football we are currently seeing at Argyle?

I was saying to my old man in the first half, how different we look compared to the first 10 games this season. Not just the confidence, but the manner in which we are playing the game. We both commented that we cant remember the last time we have seen such entertaining football. Were you a neutral, you would of thought we were top of the league the way me moved the ball around.

So what do we put it down to? I personally believe Lamires coming into the team is the biggest change. Carey & Him constantly interchanging positions, plus Taylor being on the same wave length. The front 3 really now do look an attacking threat. Obviously having 11 on the pitch helps, and Taylor returning has been a huge boost, but its not just the results that have seen the upturn, the way we play is polar opposite.

Many on here were critical of the way Adams team were playing at the start of the season, and i think credit needs to be given for the full 180 we now see. I appreciate that we were far from clinical yesterday, and 3 points is all that really matters, but if we continue to play like that top half should be a breeze this season. Diagouraga was a big loss, but in fairness, him moving on has not affected the attractiveness of the football we play. I would like to see Adams sign another midfielder in Toumani's mould, so as to really push Sarcevic & Ness for their positions, but things are starting to look rosy for the green tints :scarf:

Apr 20, 2011
Tetbury
Completely agree. I was working yesterday but saw the Bury game where, even before they went men, we were playing some excellent stuff. Taylor’s hold up play allows him to bring Lameiras and Carey into the game more and they are doing a lot of the damage.

Sep 17, 2017
Yes I agree the football is very pleasing to the eye, but I would go further this is the best football I’ve seen us play under Adams. I have been critical of Adams for some time now and am still to be convinced that he can take us further but after recent performances I may have reevaluate my opinion.

This level and quality of performance needs to be maintained or there is the real danger of us being drawn back into the bottom 4, especially with our next few fixtures being so difficult, Oldham is massive.

But credit where credit I’d due we played well yesterday and I think we deserved more.

Jul 12, 2016
I am not DA's biggest fan but credit where its due yesterday's performance was one of our best at home this season.The team particularly first half played some lovely football.If we continue to play this way we will win far more games than we lose. Although disappointed we didn't get the point we deserved I'm certainly not disheartened.Long may it continue

Oct 31, 2015
Im with Z1R.

Last seasons promotion football was meh and the first 3 x months this season had me wanting DA out. Since the introduction of Toums , the return of Oscar and Taylor and the adding of Ruben and wow what a change.

The ball is moving so much quicker and teams cant cope. Eigan at times were on the rack. DA has moved from the dull "lets not concede" to go and get them.

Also I have noticed we now press and sit higher up the field. Yesterday at times we had 5 players in their half when they were yrying to play it out. Last season and earlier this we would have had 11 sat in our half waiting.

Its been a joy to watch the football at HP and probably our best since Hollowords. DA still has to fully win me over but he is getting there. I remember when he joined he said he was a 4-3 win sort of manager. Until Dec 17 I hadnt seen that but credit where credit is due he has turned the style around.

I actually walked out of HP quite happy last night.

Now to get 50 points playing like this and he will win me over

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
Big fan of Adams (As a package)

Big fan of the football

Only thing is we need a Toums...we were spoilt to get a player like him but now I will feel cheated if we don't have a player of similar quality is going forward...which will be difficult as we haven't had one like that for many years

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Wasn’t a fan of Adams early this season or late last and called for his head numerous times.

Recent performances have been well up there and he’s turned it round a complete 180.

I was wrong and any hats available will be duley eaten with a side of humble pie.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Anyone that went to Peterborough away on the first day would have seen that DA wants us to play attacking flair football. We were terrific that day and played some of the best football I've seen in years from Argyle. We played extremely well in the following league game against Charlton and got a deserved win.

As Carey has said in a couple of recent interviews we probably went out to be a bit too "nice" at the start of the season. Results mostly went against us, confidence dropped and hit a low - evidenced by abysmal discipline, which certainly didn't help.

I guess it's a bit of a case of walk before you can run with our introduction to the league. Injuries and discipline settled, we made ourselves hard to beat firstly and hit a decent unbeaten run and now we're setting up to win games with more attacking players starting, winning 5 consecutive home games was it?

I don't think Adams revels in defensive football, but he's not stupid and clearly sees it as the most secure way to go about achieving the primary objective (promotion or survival). If he can move on further and play expansive football I'm certain he'd prefer it that way, but he knows he needs to deliver us results first as we all want to continue watching League One next season and he needs to players to do it.

Penlee

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
twist of lime":1555lc6y said:
As an exile these comments are pleasing to hear

COYG

At times it is breathtaking Twist, such a reversal from September/October.

Get yourself down here (or see you at Oxford?)

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I think it's a combination of things but let's not forget at the start of this good run (3 defeats in 17 games) Taylor and Lameiras were not playing.

Adams admitted he underestimated the standard of League One so once he and the players got to grips with the quality needed we improved.
Stopping the red cards really helped, plus the return to form of Carey and Bradley, the introduction of Diagouraga into the team, Taylor returning and holding up the ball which brings in the midfield and pushes the team up the pitch.

The biggest improvement was a big change in attacking intent with Lameiras coming into the team and he and Carey given the freedom to wander.

All this has given confidence to the players to go and perform and play attractive football.

Oct 24, 2010
When we have the ball I think Adams has always tried to play good football . The main changes of late are the welcome return of Taylor and the introduction of Lameries playing very narrow which with Carey being given the license to roam gives us more bodies, and quality in midfield, although it does leaves us exposed wide at times. I think Toum's influence was overrated but the importance of Taylor's hold up play can't be overstated.
I would say that our recent success has been built on a solid defence and it remains to be seen how much Edwards will be missed.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
The difference in midfield yesterday was that whilst Ness and Sarcevic (I'll exclude Fox) are reasonable ball winners, the passing ability and accuracy once they have the ball is nowhere near that of Diagouraga. You expect Carey and Lameiras to lose the ball (you wish they wouldn't but accept that they will) but the other two need to retain possession.

Diagouraga would win the ball, hold on to it and then usually find a green shirt with a pass. That allowed us to get up the pitch another 10 yards. Maybe Ness and Sarcevic will be able to do that against lesser competition but I can't see it having watch them in previous games.

Oct 24, 2010
I find it difficult to understand the criticism of Ness and Sarcevic based on yesterday's match. The one area of the pitch were we had the better of Wigan was in midfield and they were both, obviously, key to that. Whether they can sustain that form remains to be seen but they were both excellent yesterday, and bear in mind we were playing, by far, the best team in the league.