Have Argyle Ever Fended Off A Hostile Bid | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Have Argyle Ever Fended Off A Hostile Bid

Beyton Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 19, 2005
With reference to the Taylor situation have we ever kept a player subject to a hostile bid - I can't think of one.

Feb 8, 2005
If the player wants to go, then there is very little advantage in keeping him here. Will he give of his best? Will he want to protect himself until the next window? The player holds all the cards.

Penlee

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
Allanon":3rnrq348 said:
With Ben Purrington, the club spoke with Ben and they told him they were prepared to reject the bid, but Ben said no he wanted to leave.

Not true - he didn't want to leave

Jan 12, 2011
Exiled in Cornwall
https://www.pafc.co.uk/news/2017/januar ... t-outcome/

Quote from above link
“He indicated to me that he would like to go and speak to them if an offer was able to be concluded between the clubs," said Derek.

Quote from above link
“When a player indicates that they would like to leave, then you’ve got to deal with that. We’re in a position to turn down the deal, but sometimes you’re left with a player who is disgruntled that he’s not able to get the move that he wants.”

Mar 8, 2016
Penlee":16rij94w said:
Allanon":16rij94w said:
With Ben Purrington, the club spoke with Ben and they told him they were prepared to reject the bid, but Ben said no he wanted to leave.

£300k plus add on’s and a sell on clause for a league one left back? Yeah dam right argyle sold him. Especially with sawyer now being captain and playing so well, best bit of business argyle have done in a long time. Just a shame the extra revenue never gets reinvested into the playing squad but that’s another topic.

Jan 22, 2016
Penlee":3nyhnyhp said:
Allanon":3nyhnyhp said:

If he didn't want to leave, why did he agree terms with Rotherham? We can't have forced him in to signing a contract with another club :crazy:

Feb 23, 2008
I'm sure I read somewhere that Purrington wanted to go because Argyle didn't particularly make him feel like they wanted him to stay, that he wouldn't be first choice etc?

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Just all speculation. If someone has access to every bid Argyle has ever received and the club's reaction then that would be nice to hear.

Otherwise it's everyone's assumption of what has happened for every player ever.

Jul 29, 2010
chunkymonkey78":te3vqnoh said:
I'm sure I read somewhere that Purrington wanted to go because Argyle didn't particularly make him feel like they wanted him to stay, that he wouldn't be first choice etc?
The day any club guarantees any player will be first choice is a bad day for that club.

Not specific to Ben but, again generally, it is also much easier for a departing player to shift blame to the club he's leaving for 'pushing him out' than admittedly publicly "i'm a greedy bar steward more motivated by a bit more money than putting in a bit more effort to make that shirt mine".

Penlee

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
Allanon":1sd6xmqs said:
https://www.pafc.co.uk/news/2017/january/purr-fect-outcome/

Quote from above link
“He indicated to me that he would like to go and speak to them if an offer was able to be concluded between the clubs," said Derek.

Quote from above link
“When a player indicates that they would like to leave, then you’ve got to deal with that. We’re in a position to turn down the deal, but sometimes you’re left with a player who is disgruntled that he’s not able to get the move that he wants.”

Spin I'm afraid - anyway was 12 months ago so time to let it lie really

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Penlee":6cs68tg2 said:
Allanon":6cs68tg2 said:
https://www.pafc.co.uk/news/2017/january/purr-fect-outcome/

Quote from above link

Quote from above link

Spin I'm afraid (who says?)- anyway was 12 months ago so time to let it lie really

Why? Because you were wrong?