Would you buy an Argyle shirt with a gambling sponsor? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Would you buy an Argyle shirt with a gambling sponsor?

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I've wondered this for a while, but how many people would be OK with Argyle adopting a gambling shirt sponsor, as it seems most clubs are now doing?

I thought it was quite striking how Norwich recently went from years of sponsorship from Colmans and Norwich Union/Aviva to a company called LeoVegas. Now Ipswich have switched from club owner's company Marcus Evans to... MagicalVegas. Both LeoVegas and MagicalVegas have horribly garish logos that have made their way intact to the shirts.

I'd previously thought that a family club like Norwich wouldn't have taken that route and that Argyle would never do either, but presumably the money is too good to turn down.

These developments do make me very glad indeed to have 1) Ginsters, and 2) a logo changed specifically to suit the shirt.

Sep 28, 2003
London
Wouldn't bother me any more than having an alcohol brand as a sponsor. People are responsible for their own actions and if you're pushed towards problem gambling because a football team has their logo on a shirt, then you've probably got bigger problems :thumbup:

I’m sure few people would be daft enough to take up gambling just because of advertising on a shirt. However I would never buy such a shirt. Gambling companies do nothing for the economy, simply shifting hard earned wages from losers to winners. They’ve devastated families for whom gambling is an addiction, and what they do bears no relation to sport, other than profiting from outcomes.

Sep 28, 2003
London
mervyn":7v7mgq0l said:
I’m sure few people would be daft enough to take up gambling just because of advertising on a shirt. However I would never buy such a shirt. Gambling companies do nothing for the economy, simply shifting hard earned wages from losers to winners. They’ve devastated families for whom gambling is an addiction, and what they do bears no relation to sport, other than profiting from outcomes.

...so gamblers have no personal responsibility for their actions?

97% of people who bet do it responsibly, and gambling companies pay a lot of tax and employ thousands of people so to say "they do nothing for the economy" is quite simply not true.

We may as well blame Ginsters for there being little fat kids running around.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Andy Holland":ewnlv647 said:
Wouldn't bother me any more than having an alcohol brand as a sponsor. People are responsible for their own actions and if you're pushed towards problem gambling because a football team has their logo on a shirt, then you've probably got bigger problems :thumbup:

But surely there's a difference between people's own choices, and a so-called family football club actively promoting that choice? Some would say there's an inherent lack of class and even moral responsibility there.

Having said that, I'm tempted to say my main issue with the Norwich and Ipswich shirts is that they just look absolutely awful and ruin the shirt regardless of gambling.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-42649612

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
GreenArmy1984":39htmovx said:
Happy with Ginsters Shirt Sponsor thanks

Very Lucky to have such a great national brand on our shirts

Imagine a betting company was offering ten times the money. You couldn't just say I'm happy with Gingsters without thinking it out.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Andy Holland":oaln4x6z said:

You're probably going to be OK if you have a Ginsters pasty or sandwich for lunch every day. And Ginsters employ people locally and nationally and (I hope) fulfill their tax obligations.

In fact, there's even a fairly big difference between high street bookmakers that employ people and pay taxes in the UK, and purely online operations like LeoVegas and FUN88 operating out of Jersey, Isle of Man and other 'tax friendly' locations.

The latter sort of company is fairly parasitical, no matter which way you look at it.

Andy Holland":3efaqda0 said:
mervyn":3efaqda0 said:

...so gamblers have no personal responsibility for their actions?

97% of people who bet do it responsibly, and gambling companies pay a lot of tax and employ thousands of people so to say "they do nothing for the economy" is quite simply not true.

I’m afraid Andy that there are some gamblers who are not responsible for their actions because they have an addiction which is an illness. They are no more responsible for their actions than others with different forms of mental illness. I stand by the opinion that gambling does nothing for the economy because you can be certain that if gambling revenues were spent elsewhere, which would certainly happen if gambling didn’t exist (and no i’m not proposing to ban it), then the economy would benefit in other ways. Just as many jobs would be maintained if that money were spent on food, clothing, furnishings, holidays etc.

Mar 8, 2016
No issue with a gambling company being shirt sponsors. I’ve turned into an obese pasty eating alcoholic since ginsters and tribute have become our sponsors, I might as well through in a gambling addiction for good measure.

Jul 3, 2013
mervyn":126032gu said:

£2.3 billion a year towards the economy

10005 jobs

£1.5 billion to good causes by the National Lottery alone.

I could continue but to say it does nothing is utter nonsense and both you and I know that.

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
Andy Holland":o1kolqr4 said:

This.