Footballers wot I have met | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Footballers wot I have met

A couple of posts of another thread got me thinking. Which players, past or present, and not from Argyle, have you bumped into or met in unusual circumstances.

I once served Barry Venison at a bar in the North Stand at Villa Park. It wouldn't be so odd except that it wasn't a players bar, but he told me he'd got lost and just needed a drink.

May 8, 2011
Peter Shilton back in the 70s or 80s at Bigbury village as my dad decorated his holiday home there.
My dad also painted Tony Waiters’s house in Modbury, we lived opposite him.

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
Met a few.
1. Ian Wright on a flight back to the UK from Tampa FL. Chatted to him about Bradley and he was telling me about the bet that Bradley and Shaun had with each other about who'd score more goals that season whilst playing for us. Think Bradley won!
2. Ugo Ehiogu in Barbados at the Cliff restaurant. He had just retired. Lovely guy just out there on holiday.
3. Greame Souness at Gatwick airport. Grumpy toe rag.

Jul 3, 2013
Michael Owen and Steve McManaman at Cheltenham Festival, had an interesting conversation with the latter whilst taking a slash in the gents.

Also had the pleasure of a long chat with Dennis Bergkamp during his cross channel rail journey to a champions league game. He talked about his fear of flying and that he rarely played champions league away games.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Whilst proposing to my second wife in the Woodman Pub in Southgate I realised Frank Mclintock was watching and listening to me just behind her. Malcolm Allison at the bar of the Cartoonist in Fetter Lane--complete with big silly hat. Graham Rix coming out of Arnos Grove tube station (but lets not talk about him at the moment). Liam Brady and Sammy Nelson numerous times on the tube and in various North London pubs--both were intelligent likeable blokes. I could name drop people from a few other sports if you like :) but I'll stick with Richard Hill the great rugby union player was at Argyle a couple of seasons ago watching his nephew Ben Purrington--brilliant bloke who actually remembered me from when I used to work at Saracens.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Whilst working as security at the Gucci shop in Sloane Street David Beckham came in with his missus once. I will always remember the day as they both had new hair cuts, hers was blonde and she had weird purple trousers on and he had shaved his head for the first time. Paparazzi everywhere.

I always remember thinking he was much stockier than i thought he'd be. It must have been late 90's so i was young and delighted to have met him.

Ponty

English and proud of it
Staff member
R.I.P
Sep 27, 2006
Plymouth
In the 90's I used to stay at a hotel in Redruth called the Crossroads Motel. Got friendly with the young barman called Andy Law, a group of us used to go out and about on a Saturday night.

One Saturday Andy said his dad was down on a visit and would it be ok if he tagged along with us on the night out. No problem at we all agreed.

Ten minutes later Mr Denis Law walked into the hotel bar, I nearly fell off my stool!!! He was so down to earth and great company.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Blagged a box as Ascot one year (mate high up in Barclays) and in the box next to us were Sheringham, Tim Sherwood and several others. Teddy was a top bloke.

Use to regularly see Kerry Dixon at dog tracks around the London area, when he was banned from most of them he tended to up at Milton Keynes, was a very sad sight, to see him stumbling and fumbling around for loose change.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Great story about Denis Law Ponty. The Crossroads is now a nursing home I think.
Whilst at college in London in 1973 I was friends with a chef at The Savoy and he got us in to the Liverpool celebration dinner and dance there once the meal was over. They had beaten Newcastle in the cup final that afternoon. Had a chat with a young Keegan who was sat on the stairs with his wife to be Jean?, and several other players. We sat on a table with Vivienne Neves the model and her husband who I think was John Frieda the famous London hairdresser.

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Bruce Grobbelar, Jason Bent, Anthony Pulis, Ryan Williams (scored his very first league goal against Argyle for Morecombe), Martin John (he had a trial with Argyle) All of these have a connection with Ottawa Fury and Argyle.
Players I have spoken to who have played against Ottawa Fury, Joe Cole.

N

NorfolkGreen

I was with Geoff Hurst as he signed copies of his autobiography at my previous work, it was just before the 5-1 away in Germany and he said we would win quite comfortably over there, he was right!

Ossie Ardiles and Ricky Villa soon after they joined Spurs ( following Argentina World Cup win ). Was at my friend's Dad's Memorial Evening in the West End. His Dad was the PRO for Wembley Stadium and a big Spurs fan. Also went into a small pub between Maidenhead and Ascot and found Alan Ball was behind the bar as a tenant / manager.

ping g5

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 20, 2005
Many years ago my mates band were doing a wedding gig on Burgh Island so I tagged along as sound man. Went to the bar and Mark Lawrenson was stood there. Turns out it was his mate getting married. Lovely chap and even bought me a beer later in the evening.