Better technology | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Better technology

Over a very long period I've become an NFL fan, and whilst there are overall too many breaks in play for my liking, mainly to suit commercial TV, I think the video play-back to make sure key decisions are right is one of the more exciting parts of the game, and is not disruptive. Did I read that FIFA or UEFA is testing this?

Jul 12, 2016
IMHO we are going backwards by using better technology!
Get back to basics instead of over analysing everything.

Sep 13, 2003
mervyn":3a3gbyj3 said:
Over a very long period I've become an NFL fan, and whilst there are overall too many breaks in play for my liking, mainly to suit commercial TV, I think the video play-back to make sure key decisions are right is one of the more exciting parts of the game, and is not disruptive. Did I read that FIFA or UEFA is testing this?

The FIFA trial in the Confederations Cup was nothing short of a disaster. Decisions were quick but wrong decisions were made...Chile had a perfectly good goal chalked off. Let's hope these problems are ironed out by the World Cup !

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
oldage":gpjk9qb0 said:

I respect your view oldage and I have heard it many times, but in a game where considerable sums of money are at stake (as well as the hopes and dreams of the fans), technology is a must. It stamps out the potential for corruption, it gives support to beleaguered refs and it ensures that the best team wins--not the luckiest team, not the biggest team, not the team that's mastered the so called 'dark arts'. That is getting back to basics. Where football is now, languishing behind so many other sports in using technology, is a disgrace.

Old Gunner":28s3lhki said:
oldage":28s3lhki said:

I respect your view oldage and I have heard it many times, but in a game where considerable sums of money are at stake (as well as the hopes and dreams of the fans), technology is a must. It stamps out the potential for corruption, it gives support to beleaguered refs and it ensures that the best team wins--not the luckiest team, not the biggest team, not the team that's mastered the so called 'dark arts'. That is getting back to basics. Where football is now, languishing behind so many other sports in using technology, is a disgrace.

I agree. How often in the Premiership have we seen referees bottling the big decision which would have gone against the home club. Getting the third ref to adjudicate would help them get it right and give them the confidence to make these decisions.

mervyn":10dqtc6q said:
I agree. How often in the Premiership have we seen referees bottling the big decision which would have gone against the home club. Getting the third ref to adjudicate would help them get it right and give them the confidence to make these decisions.

Or it could make refs hesittant to make a decision in case they are ripped to shreds when the video replay shows they made a mistake.

I'm of the school that football should be the same from top to bottom. Anything change in the rules for the premier league should be changed all the way down the pyramid. Why should a disallowed goal for Chelsea be any more costly than for Argyle? (Costly in terms of the overall, not just the almighty dollar).

999mattyg

āœ… Evergreen
šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
Bermudian Green":2qn1sdpe said:
mervyn":2qn1sdpe said:

Or it could make refs hesittant to make a decision in case they are ripped to shreds when the video replay shows they made a mistake.

I'm of the school that football should be the same from top to bottom. Anything change in the rules for the premier league should be changed all the way down the pyramid. Why should a disallowed goal for Chelsea be any more costly than for Argyle? (Costly in terms of the overall, not just the almighty dollar).

Firstly, football isn't the same from top to bottom! The premier league and Championship clubs expenditure is astronomical and so are the rewards. Not so in the lower leagues and non-leagues! This why the technology should be used at the higher echelons.
Secondly, the video ref is there to compliment the on field referee and will not be viewed negatively when decisions are overturned. It is not a 'critical' tool. Hockey use video referrals in the same way. Even when they are used the decisions are not always clear cut. Just highlights what a difficult job officiating is in real time. Anything that aids the official to make the correct call can only be viewed positively.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
I believe refereeing as a whole needs a serious overhaul for everyone's benefit including the referees themselves.

The FA pays lip service to protecting them but falls far short of doing anything remotely helpful to solve the dangers refs face beyond telling people to respect them without giving players a reason to do so.

I think video refereeing is one tool that could help, if implemented effectively it takes the pressure off the referee to make the right call in a split second and places the power in the hands of someone with all the tools they need to make the decision.

Penalties are easy, if the ref is unsure the safest option is simply to give the penalty to create the break in play for review. Offside goals can be reviewed after they're scored due to the natural break they create.

Technology wise I think we need to make players and referees more accountable for their actions. I'm not a fan of rugby but I am a fan of the way they treat referees and how referees treat players. Respect is earned and having microphones forces everyone to earn it. There is nowhere to hide when the whole ground can hear the conversations between refs and players. The Mike Deans of this world who are regarded as hugely unprofessional for talking to players like dirt are forced to explain their decisions in a respectful manner because we and the FA know what is said. Equally the Chelsea's of this world can be punished for their player's lack of respect for the ref. I can't stand players surrounding the ref to try and influence a decision, visible dissent is already a book able offence if the ref has a mic they can evidence verbal dissent and abuse and book players accordingly.

Lower down the pyramid things become triky but good behaviour has to start from the top. Until we see the top players/refs giving each other complete respect how can we expect kids aspiring to become these stars to do the same? If everyone is accountable for their actions at the top it sets a good example for the rest; if refs are mic'd up, available for interview to put their sides across and have transparent records of their match reviews from the clubs they officiate which can be used to rank refs and decide which divisions they officiate, you soon get the best refs working in the biggest games rather than the most well known not necessarily most competent as we see at the moment.

Bermudian Green":1nccso3g said:
mervyn":1nccso3g said:

I can't see why this can't be applied top to bottom. It's now very low-tech and not costly, given that we already have a fourth official at all games

May 21, 2015
I think I'm right in saying VAR is being tested/used in the Bundesliga, Serie A and Ligue 1 in France this season.
As long as its quick and accurate I have no problems. The play (especially in the Premier league) is so fast now even if you put additional officials on the pitch it might still be hard to call the odd pen decision. Think it makes sense to have this in the top division only if implemented permanently.

999mattyg":3478ykmi said:
Bermudian Green":3478ykmi said:
Why should a disallowed goal for Chelsea be any more costly than for Argyle? (Costly in terms of the overall, not just the almighty dollar).

Firstly, football isn't the same from top to bottom! The premier league and Championship clubs expenditure is astronomical and so are the rewards. Not so in the lower leagues and non-leagues! This why the technology should be used at the higher echelons.

Which is exactly why I said costly in terms of the overall, not just monetary.

Football is EXACTLY the same top to bottom. Goal at either end, 11 players on each side, one ball. Exactly the same. The only difference is off the field. Where do you intend to set the monetary level for video refs to kick in? Why just prem and championship? Why not league one? Why are we so inferior? How about the league one play-off final? That has a few quid riding on it, right? How about the league 2 play off final? Lot of money to be won and lost there? How about a few years back when Hereford played Brighton to see who would go out of the league? Huge amount was resting on that game. Surely worthy of a video ref, no?

Jul 12, 2016
To clarify when I commented that I felt WE are going backwards due to better technology I was referring to Argyle.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Thanks for clarifying, 'oldage', although anyone who reads your posts would have automatically assumed that because the vast majority are either critical of the club or the management.