Kyle Letheren BUMPED from Southend v Argyle match thread | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Kyle Letheren BUMPED from Southend v Argyle match thread

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I think his strong verbal communication with the Cbs in front of him is as important as anything in helping the team's defensive improvement. KL is experienced enough and has the b---s to shout at defenders, whereas Macey is younger and does not yet have the experience or confidence to order around more seasoned pros. I see no current reason to mess with the selection of a winning team for Tuesday

Jul 13, 2006
You could see from the clip that he was to one side for the free- kick. Having said that, I don't think many keepers would have kept it out.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Without the wall from that distance, Letheren would have been on the line, centre of goal and seen the ball 10 yards sooner, I think he would have then made the save.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Fox was in the wall just before the free-kick was taken and then for some reason he moved away from the wall, Chaplin placed his free-kick right where Fox had just moved from.
It looks like Letheren had his wall lined up just as he wanted until Fox moved.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Biggs":8ye1bf8p said:
I’d like to know which of Matt Macey’s relatives Justin is :lol:

It's odd, even falling out with other fans in an effort to defend Macey. I notice Justin was only a very casual poster until last summer and since then he's been prolific, usually defending Macey.

Sep 6, 2006
foreigner":1yk3ky4v said:
You could see from the clip that he was to one side for the free- kick. Having said that, I don't think many keepers would have kept it out.

Disagree. He pushed it in to top corner so looked better than it was.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Cobi Budge":bhxilhqu said:
We've got 3 wins on the bounce and there's no reason to change a winning team at the moment, let's enjoy that.
Well actually there is, because Canavan's injured.

Oct 22, 2018
I don't understand the we have two sorry three good keepers the advantage that Kyle has is his ability to organise his defence and make himself heard. The others will gain that experience with age. I have no favourites but at the momentum Kyle has the shirt and doing well. Long may it continue.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Ken has it spot on.

Kyle has been exceptionally patient, given some of Macey's performances, he had every right to feel a bit aggrieved at not getting more game time. However, his attitude and willingness to work hard has obviously endeared him to DA, he finally got given his chance (via injury) and has grabbed it with both hands. He now deserves the same loyalty DA showed MM.

If Freddie gets injured, RT comes in and we take 10 points out of 4 and RT contributes well, i would expect him to keep his place.

Its finally great to see a bit of competition for places, both full backs and centre mids know that Oscar is probably chomping at the bit, i think we all still feel CB as the one obvious area to improve on.

Oct 5, 2013
It's a pity some on here don't seem to realise that there is a lot more to being a good goalkeeper than just shot-stopping ability, and I can only conclude that they haven't played football at any sort of decent level, because it's common knowledge that the goalie is the most important player in the team. That's why the likes of me and many others were calling out for Letheren to replace Macey, because Macey's performances were just not cutting it.
Undeniably, results speak for themselves, and the proof is that Letheren has now been back for 4 games, we've got 3 wins and a draw from them, and the defence is suddenly playing well, even those who were playing crap before (notably Smith-Brown, Canavan, and Edwards), this undoubtedly being due to Letheren's ability to organise his defence, communicate, and give the defenders confidence.
The greatest pity of all, for me, is that DA apparently didn't recognise the need for a change earlier, and it should be remembered that loads on here were calling for it because they could see the obvious; if he had, it seems to me that we probably wouldn't have got to where we were in the league before Letheren came in. But that's DA....
And that's also why I shan't listen to him any more if he bangs on again about "only the professionals know best"!
Just remembered also that Letheren was apparently only brought in because Macey was injured, in which case his inclusion was pretty much taken out of DA's hands!

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Whilst I think Letheren currently deserves his place, I do not believe he is a better goalkeeper.

The three game run of Letheren has seen us have a stable back four and a much improved and fully fit Edwards (a luxury Macey was not afforded). It’s also seen us perform better going forward because Lameiras was back in the team, which affects performances greatly.

In that period, Letheren has conceded a comical 60 yard strike and a free kick which he got a hand too and debateably could have kept out. One thing that is certain is had Macey conceded these two goals he would’ve been slaughtered.

With regards to shotstopping, Macey had made the 4th most in the entire football league up until a few weeks ago. When I posted that on a thread I was told it didn’t count for anything. But now Kyle is being praised heavily for making good saves. Which is it?

As said above, Letheren currently deserves the spot and with results we should absolutely not change it. But the difference in treatment is pretty laughable.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
If you're going to judge a player solely on physical attributes then yes, of course Macey is superior.

But you can't, you also have to judge on communication, on leadership, on decision making, kicking etc, all of which Letheren is superior at.

Both have attributes, both have limitations, when you balance it all up along with recent results, then Letheren gets the nod for me.

Sep 6, 2006
philevs":153rdyvz said:
It's a pity some on here don't seem to realise that there is a lot more to being a good goalkeeper than just shot-stopping ability, and I can only conclude that they haven't played football at any sort of decent level, because it's common knowledge that the goalie is the most important player in the team. That's why the likes of me and many others were calling out for Letheren to replace Macey, because Macey's performances were just not cutting it.
Undeniably, results speak for themselves, and the proof is that Letheren has now been back for 4 games, we've got 3 wins and a draw from them, and the defence is suddenly playing well, even those who were playing crap before (notably Smith-Brown, Canavan, and Edwards), this undoubtedly being due to Letheren's ability to organise his defence, communicate, and give the defenders confidence.
The greatest pity of all, for me, is that DA apparently didn't recognise the need for a change earlier, and it should be remembered that loads on here were calling for it because they could see the obvious; if he had, it seems to me that we probably wouldn't have got to where we were in the league before Letheren came in. But that's DA....
And that's also why I shan't listen to him any more if he bangs on again about "only the professionals know best"!
Just remembered also that Letheren was apparently only brought in because Macey was injured, in which case his inclusion was pretty much taken out of DA's hands!

I bow to your superior knowledge. If its common knowledge keeper is most important posititon why are they not the most expendive. And why did Adams rely on a loanee. Answers on a post card please. What level have you plsyed at as it obviously makes you so wise?

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
There is no doubt that, based on current form, Letheren is in pole position and deserves to be there.
However, he does seem to look fitter and leaner than he did in the Oxford game.
I would assume that the reluctance to select him was because of his disappointing performances in the Checkatrade Trophy games and, possibly, because Macey looked better in training sessions.
It was very noticeable after Saturday’s game that the rest of the team showed him their appreciation with handshakes and hugs.