Messageboard Home  | Fantasy Football  | Predictions  | Club Info  | About P@SOTI  | Privacy Policy  
Until the end of season:

The Home Park refurbishment will be completed in It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: 7-3 at Bournemouth!!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:39 pm 
Site Owner

It was 0-5 at half time.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:05 pm 

Balham_Green wrote:
pafcprogs wrote:
In those days as it was before the inter web *( it'll never catch on) the score used to be put up in the window of the old announcers box in the BPE at reserve games.

It probably felt more drastic than it was but we watched as it wen 0-1, 0-2, 0-3 etc etc and the 1-5 2-5 3-5 before a very relieving 3-6 and finally 3-7.

At one point there were probably more people watching the announcers box than the reserves....

I know some people who used to go to reserve games just to see the score updates! Not I, honest!

And to think Marconi sent radio signals from Cornwall across the Atlantic decades earlier. Makes you think about the dawn of technology on The Lizard!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:47 am 
PALFC Sponsor #1 18/19, PALFC Sponsor #2 18/19 and Player Sponsor #1 18/19

Remember that day well. I was playing for my Uni team which included 2 Bournemouth fans; boy! Did I enjoy giving them stick! .......Payback time 40-odd years later (Look, Where they are now!)as they keep reminding me!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:23 am 

I was there too.

I had no idea it was the anniversary - but have just woken up from a dream in which I was reminding my brother we were both there. Which is a bit weird.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:51 am 

Rick Cowdery's book 'On this day' records the four scorers before half-time and states Delve scored the fifth immediately after the break. So my memory of the 0-4 on the board at Swindon appears to be right, not that it matters much. Just wish I'd been there.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:02 am 
Site Owner

Rick is wrong! :greensmile:

I was there and it was deffo 5-0 at half time.

It’s something you never forget.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:21 am 

Harley Lawer’s book confirms 0-4 at Half Time. See page 154.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:27 am 

I remember it well, biggest scoring game I have ever seen. Never forget John Delve scoring a rare goal (for him).
I was in the RN at the time based at HMS Osprey in Portland, Dorset. I was without transport at the time and remember well hitchhiking and using buses to get from Portland to Bournemouth and back after the game.
The other thing I remember as if it was yesterday was not being able to get down home to buy an Everton ticket as they were all gone. Got one in the end by writing to Everton direct and telling them that I was stranded in the Navy and asking for help. They sent me 2 tickets FOC, stood in what we knew as the popular side (Lyndhurst). Of course I was surrounded by thousands of scousers. Interesting experience :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:43 am 

I was living in Liverpool at the time and went to see Everton at Goodison that day. They announced the Argyle score at 0-4 ( I thought it was half time) and the announcer made a bit of a thing of it as the cup match was coming up.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:02 am 

The irony was that the reverse fixture at home was only a 2 - 2 draw in front of over 19,000. I am sure a lot pitched up anticipating a goal feast again. They were disappointed, including me!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:04 am 

Ive just consulted Harley's book and glad someone else has confirmed the 0-4. Pity really as IJN's confrontation with Rick could have been interesting. Happy though that mym memory is holding up despite being born at the end of the war.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:16 am 
GT Sponsor

Stationed at blandford at the time. Hot the bus Salisbury Bournemouth bus within the camp to get to the.match. also remember get to g tickets for the Everton match and having to pay somebody a fortune to cover my guard duty that weekend. Given it after getting tickets and determined still to go

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:20 am 
Site Owner

I’d argue with Rich but never Harley Lawyer! :greensmile:

How very strange, my memory tells me 5-0 at HT then they came storming back.