The answer is simple .... put a striker on the pitch ! | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

The answer is simple .... put a striker on the pitch !

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Mark Pedlar":2cm4aqud said:
briangreen":2cm4aqud said:
Silly comment on Fletcher Mark pedler

Songo'o in your opinion he IS the answer to our problems?
evening mark.with you being site admin. would it be possible to have a poll on whether we should continue with our youth set up please?

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Steve Evans":1wh0jbiu said:
i see no point in a youth system if our young players don't get a proper chance.not just a few sub appearances when the game is up.'tis worth noting that alex scored against fleetwood when he came off the bench.he and any other outfield player can only score against league one players if they are selected!i would play alex up front alongside either freddie or ryan for the remainder of this season.

The point of a youth system is obviously to develop your own talent, but there are many things that can get in the way of a young man's professional development - either physical, skill based or indeed societal distractions which are a normal part of most people's early years (even worse today perhaps). So in the end you are really looking for one or two that develop the right attributes as a player as well as he right attitude. In other words it's not just about ability and events such as the 'Class of '92' are an absolute rarity.

I'm not suggesting any individual at Argyle lacks attitude - I really have no idea. But if you ask professional coaches they will talk about that aspect being as important as anything else (if not more so).

As for our youth system, it has to be said that those who have broken through in the last 5 years have not made the grade. In anyone's eyes - other than those supporting youth to the detriment of anything else - it could be seen they lacked in either ability, stature or fitness. None of the three principle breakthroughs in that time has gone on to be successful elsewhere - certainly not at an equivalent or higher level, so you have to conclude the club was right.

i do think Fletcher has something about him and would like to see him get some game time - especially with the improved strength/ stature that some have mentioned as I felt that was his weakness. But I suggest he's in the wrong place - DA will not be playing 2 strikers any time soon and Fletcher is not a lone striker. Personally I think he should have gone out on loan to a League 2 club/upper Conference because he won't get sufficiently tested where he is. That would allow him to get a better level of football, prove himself (or otherwise) and for him to bide his time - after all who knows what the managerial situation will be later in the season and should he start banging the goals in in League Two, even DA may have to take notice.

Oct 31, 2015
briangreen":3nl8cnsq said:
I would play Fletcher up front with Taylor and sacrifice a midfielder. Have Lameiras out on the left and Carey on the right and go for it, defend from the front.

Funny how we see things differently. I dont think Fletch is good enough and the SWPL is not going to set him up for lg1 football..

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
rsp4":15q0qlyl said:
briangreen":15q0qlyl said:
I would play Fletcher up front with Taylor and sacrifice a midfielder. Have Lameiras out on the left and Carey on the right and go for it, defend from the front.

Funny how we see things differently. I dont think Fletch is good enough and the SWPL is not going to set him up for lg1 football..

And I don’t see how we can sacrifice a midfielder with our current defensive frailties. We unrealistic to win 4-3 in our current setup so all it’ll do is pin us back by losing out 2/3rds of the pitch.

We need to to stabilise the team with a formation and drill them hard until we are competent before any luxury’s

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
The one up front system requires a player who can keep possession and bring people into play as a minimum. Fletcher seems to be more in the Michael Owen mould so would probably not be suitable unless partnered by a Taylor. I think a 442 would be worth a try but can't see it happening.

Jul 6, 2011
Tugboat":ak81zk7q said:
rsp4":ak81zk7q said:
briangreen":ak81zk7q said:

And I don’t see how we can sacrifice a midfielder with our current defensive frailties. We unrealistic to win 4-3 in our current setup so all it’ll do is pin us back by losing out 2/3rds of the pitch.

We need to to stabilise the team with a formation and drill them hard until we are competent before any luxury’s

In some people's eyes it's like last season's comeback and the reasons for it never happened (we became more attacking and adventurous). We failed when we became defensive and now I read fans want us to rely on an even dodgier defence.
I just personally think we would be better off relying on a more attacking format? I would even consider dropping sarcevic for Fletcher for a few matches to see how he gets on and btw I think Fletcher is a better player than those mentioned previously.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
good to see fletcher scored two last night.anybody know if derek was there please?if he wasn't perhaps he was watching liverpool.they don't play with one up front. ;)

May 8, 2011
Steve Evans":1zho6re8 said:
good to see fletcher scored two last night.anybody know if derek was there please?if he wasn't perhaps he was watching liverpool.they don't play with one up front. ;)

Argyle Reserves play with one up front as that is the Argyle formation for all teams.
Fletcher doesn’t play as the main striker he plays in the role occupied by Carey in the first team.

Aug 5, 2016
Green_Matt":2jlq27eu said:
The one up front system requires a player who can keep possession and bring people into play as a minimum. Fletcher seems to be more in the Michael Owen mould so would probably not be suitable unless partnered by a Taylor. I think a 442 would be worth a try but can't see it happening.

Do you honestly think that if we went down the 4-4-2 route, Fletcher would be a more effective option than Ladapo or Joel Grant?

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Knibbsworth":7f3d4sbk said:
Green_Matt":7f3d4sbk said:

Do you honestly think that if we went down the 4-4-2 route, Fletcher would be a more effective option than Ladapo or Joel Grant?
i do!

May 8, 2011
Steve Evans":3eoate2n said:
Knibbsworth":3eoate2n said:
Green_Matt":3eoate2n said:

i do!

Perhaps the reason Fletcher is scoring goals in the Reserves is that he has struck up a good partnership with Dyson who is playing as the main striker. So maybe Dyson should start as well in place of Ladapo or Taylor.

Jul 12, 2016
If you don't try you don't know if it would work. What have we got to lose? Can't get any worse.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
It’s when you start blindly grabbing for options with the attitude of ‘well we might as well give it a go’ and ‘can’t get any worse’ that we would actually get relegated. If that started happening then I really would be worried.

Like them or loathe them, Adams’ tactics have brought us three top 7 finishes in a row and he’s not going to suddenly change drastically now. Getting that defence right on the training ground, and providing a solid platform for Carey, Lameiras et al to strut their stuff is the way to get out of this.