Did we ever have two teams? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Did we ever have two teams?

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Depends how far you go back. Some websites talk of Plymouth Utd and Plymouth FC in the late 1800s which pre-date Argyle. I definitely remember Plymouth City as a lad.

I played for Green Waves for a season in the late 80s so can vouch for them, but not sure if this was a re-incarnation club because the original Argyle rival version was said to have disappeared after WW2.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Lancastergreen":3ckdwghr said:
Thanks people. I'm glad that's sorted. So another question. If Plymouth parkway continue to rise the leagues does anyone believe they could've the new second team?

I think they already are Lg.

May 16, 2016
Andy_S":2aym6ofr said:
Lancastergreen":2aym6ofr said:
Thanks people. I'm glad that's sorted. So another question. If Plymouth parkway continue to rise the leagues does anyone believe they could've the new second team?

I think they already are Lg.

Which I guess raises the question of how far would they realistically see themselves of being able to go. It would be good to see them, or any other local Club rise but would the core support grow sufficiently to stop being 'shared' with Argyle Fans ?

At what point would people no longer consider them only as their 'other' Team ?

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Plymouth doesn't support one team properly ! If Truro were to be backed up the league's I suspect the Cornish uprising would be much more likely to affect Argyle then Plymouth Parkway could or would.
Also who could follow a side that wear horrible yellow and blue kits !!

Sep 25, 2010
Lancastergreen":gwg65q2t said:

Hope not, just a bunch of thugs

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
My Uncle (Brian 'Jack' Hobbs) played at West Park in the mid 50's. I thought that he played for a 'Plymouth City' but may have got that wrong as I was only 4/5 and spent all my time running around screaming and falling over (no change there then!;-))

Think he was a good quality player but any potential 'career' was phucked up by a Mr A. Hitler, the well known Austrian International. :sad: Had terrible hip trouble from quite a young age so I guessed he played a bit!

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
I, too, remember Duncan Neale joining Plymouth City at the end of his Argyle career. He was a midfielder ("half back" then) who was in the side at the same time as Jimmy Bloomfield.

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
I didn't know Hitler had hip trouble. Although, I shouldn't be surprised, what with all that marching into other people's countries...

Sep 23, 2014
plymouth
Ham Green":2czytngs said:
If you dig a few decades back, roughly around the turn of the century, there was another team with the interesting name of Green Waves. They entered the FA Cup a few times and then seemed to disappear.

Edit: once again, GOS comes through like a good'un. It seems that before the Great War there were several clubs in Plymouth vying to emerge as the strongest. (The History of Argyle chapter 6 and following).

Christ we're lucky to have that.
Green waves were still going around 1982 ? played a couple seasons for them, at Millbay park

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Martyn":2oa390bu said:
Lancastergreen":2oa390bu said:

Hope not, just a bunch of thugs

What a bizarre statement!

I'm sure they think very highly of you also!

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
pearces greens":2g7m2b0b said:
Ham Green":2g7m2b0b said:
If you dig a few decades back, roughly around the turn of the century, there was another team with the interesting name of Green Waves. They entered the FA Cup a few times and then seemed to disappear.

Edit: once again, GOS comes through like a good'un. It seems that before the Great War there were several clubs in Plymouth vying to emerge as the strongest. (The History of Argyle chapter 6 and following).

Christ we're lucky to have that.
Green waves were still going around 1982 ? played a couple seasons for them, at Millbay park

That's when I would have played them, think you had a big fella called Bob Gatchegan playing for you. Decent player.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
If Parkway continue to progress it's possible the city of Plymouth could have two professional football teams within the next 15 to 20 years, possibly even sharing Home Park.