The new traditions | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

The new traditions

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I also heard that no one ever saw Bobby Moore with a pint in his hand. He just drunk 33 half pints every night he was out.

Feb 15, 2005
When did the letters on the perimeter wall that indicated a half time score against a list in your programme disappear. Where did our electronic scoreboard start and stop ?

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
oddball":3iukgcd7 said:
When did the first ball boys run out at H P.

When did Ivor Dewdney vans start selling pasties outside HP

When did stewards first make an appearance at HP
The answer to ballboys is (I think) the start of the 1958-59 season. Several of the first set are still about so hopefully one or two of them may be on PASOTI. Certainly no earlier than 1987-58.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
GreensOnScreen":9pmot0pr said:
memory man":9pmot0pr said:
cheshiregreen":9pmot0pr said:
38 replies on this so far on a relaxing Sunday.
Nobody seems to know when the last home game lap started.. perhaps one for .Memory Man or Steve from GoS?
It is over to GreensonScreen I am afraid!
I think it started with the trophy presentation and general celebrations after the Colchester game in May 2004 (two weeks after the QPR game). Checking back on GoS photos, I've none at the end of the last game of the 2002-03 season (against Wycombe), but do have them for the 2004-05 season (at home to Leicester, watched by over 19,000 for a nothing-to-play-for game for either side).
I was at that game. My recollections are from before rather than after the game. I recall that the Colchester manager Phil Parkinson made it clear to the Press that he would not allow his team to form a guard of honour for Argyle as they entered the field of play.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
GreensOnScreen":1igqeytx said:
memory man":1igqeytx said:
cheshiregreen":1igqeytx said:
38 replies on this so far on a relaxing Sunday.
Nobody seems to know when the last home game lap started.. perhaps one for .Memory Man or Steve from GoS?
It is over to GreensonScreen I am afraid!
I think it started with the trophy presentation and general celebrations after the Colchester game in May 2004 (two weeks after the QPR game). Checking back on GoS photos, I've none at the end of the last game of the 2002-03 season (against Wycombe), but do have them for the 2004-05 season (at home to Leicester, watched by over 19,000 for a nothing-to-play-for game for either side).

Thank you.

Strange how things such as and some of the others posted here are suddenly common practice in an almost unnoticed way.

Looking ahead where will the players enter the playing area from next season

When was the tunnel on the Mayflower first used? I have seen photos of players entering from the corner from between the Barn Park & Mayflower but no idea when the current changing rooms were introduced.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Balham_Green":l3zv9hph said:
rongreenblood":l3zv9hph said:
Bring back the goal kick to be taken from the side that the ball went out of play, ref to enforce. Also,don't read out the names of the teams until they are on the pitch,cheering them when they are still in the dressing room/tunnel,bonkers.

I'm curious why the goal kicks is a big deal?

For me its because its just another time wasting activity. Get the ball from the left hand corner flag, dribble it over the the right hand edge of the 6 yard box, stamp the ground a few times, rub your hand on the towel, kick the upright a few times, move the ball slightly and then finally kick it.

Slightly related, when did the 6 second rule for ball in hand come in and when was it abolished?

Aug 4, 2011
Pilgrim Pete was introduced in the 94/95 season although his constime was all black back then. I think he upgraded around 1999

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
memory man":2ms9yrgp said:
oddball":2ms9yrgp said:
When did the first ball boys run out at H P.
The answer to ballboys is (I think) the start of the 1958-59 season. Several of the first set are still about so hopefully one or two of them may be on PASOTI. Certainly no earlier than 1957-58.
I don't know about running onto the pitch, but the first ballboys actually appeared in 1932. I suspect there was then a gap before memory man's recollection in 1958.

From chapter 14 of GoS's History of Argyle:

Another innovation introduced by Archie Ballard at this time was for youngsters from the Ballard Institute to act as 'mascot ball boys' (also referred to as 'goal-boys'). Six of his charges were dressed in uniforms in Argyle colours to "stand at intervals around the playing pitch to fetch the ball when it passes out of play".

[http://www.greensonscreen.co.uk/argylehistory.asp?era=1930-1934]

May 31, 2010
Plymouth
My father was a Ballard boy in the early 30s and did say that he had been a ball-boy but I regretfully never ascertained how often he did it. I suspect dozens of boys were given the chance to do it, rather than just a select few, but this is just a guess on my part in view of the aims of the Ballard Institute.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Tom Cobbley":246d052c said:
Whatever happened to players putting liniment on their legs. You could smell it when they ran on to the pitch.

… and when you walked behind the stand before the game and the dressing rooms vented out there