Brief Synopsis!!! (Charlton) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Brief Synopsis!!! (Charlton)

Feb 17, 2017
One of those games unfortunately, after everything that has gone on at Charlton this week it was always going to be difficult and the first goal would be crucial. A wonder goal set the tone, and after hitting the post to make it 1-1 you knew it could be a long afternoon. Poor defending for the second goal but we have been a little bit weaker from crosses since Bradleyā€™s absence. Charlton managed the game well second half and time wasted from the whistle to the end and the game as a spectacle was over. Our subs made no impact, fletcher showing exactly why he doesnā€™t play no where near good enough. Paton looks to have something of a little reckless, probably keen to impress. The worst thing about today are the over reactions on here by certain posters who only come on here when we lose. After a loss itā€™s always the same posters sticking the boot in. In terms of the playoffs itā€™s still in our hands and a win on Friday and we will be in a good position. April will be month that decides the season with some key games and all is to play for.

Jul 12, 2016
After whats happened at Charlton this week they were there for the taking but typical Argyle they blew it. Charlton had lost their manager and important players but still managed to win.We cannot be expected to win every game but the real concern is that when we lose key players we do not have quality replacements.

Apr 6, 2009
our run was never going to last forever. disappointing but results around us bit too bad.
biggest thing is that they weren't great we were just poor. hopefully an off day and bring it back on Friday though

I missed a lot however as my 4 year old was getting more and more frustrated he couldn't see. I don't have a problem with standing but some consideration wouldn't go amiss. and to the chap on the end of my row who was hitting people with his walking stick fairly hard to get them to sit you're a disgrace. another few inches and it was almost on my son's head - violence not allowed but beating with a walking stick is. awful example to children around. in fact I hope he isn't on here so I at least have no association.

Oct 20, 2015
I listened on iFollow while in Ikea. I'm not sure which was more depressing, the shop or the constant stream of bad news in my earphones

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
oldage":3cs28md1 said:
After whats happened at Charlton this week they were there for the taking but typical Argyle they blew it. Charlton had lost their manager and important players but still managed to win.We cannot be expected to win every game but the real concern is that when we lose key players we do not have quality replacements.

They were never going to be there for the taking. They were visibly fired up, and Lee Bowyer has clearly given them a boost.

Itā€™s an off day combined with facing a turbo charged set of players, one of those things that was always going to happen to end our great run.

A shame it had to happen with 3,000 of us watching, but I donā€™t think lengthy autopsies are required.

Mar 20, 2008
1. Charlton have a really nice set up - stewards were friendly and helpful - logistically a good day out - football less pleasing

2. Defence looked rocky from minute 1 - wonder goal and bad defending put us 2 down - but I actually thought we played okay first half - second half we seemed to play across them rather than getting momentum going forward

3. Highlight Of the day was talking to Mosesā€™ brother in amongst the green army - a really nice chap

Nov 18, 2011
The second half was a good example of how 2 up front generally doesn't work anymore. Fletcher did nothing and the changes made us worse. In hindsight it was a mistake to take Lameiras off as we created nothing. The 4-4-2 diamond gave us no width and I was very surprised when Paton came on and not Ainsworth to try and stretch the game a little.

The better team won today but as noted, if Taylor's shot that hit the post had gone in it could have been a very different game.

Sep 6, 2006
Mark Pedlar":390omqpc said:
1) Argyle unchanged completely. Hopefully Songo'o and Matthews wouldn't repeat their first 45 performances from last week. Feel that we will continue to miss Bradley. Argyle started sloppily and after an early warning Argyle were 1 down within minutes form a long range effort.

2) Argyle pressed, mainly down our left and a flick from Taylor went agonisingly close. Lameiras casual in possession, lost the ball and a quick break cost us a second. We were out of sorts and being punished. Ness and Makasi couldn't seem to get going and Sawyer looked like our only outlet but the ball got lost too often in the final third.

3) Matthews made another poor decision and came for a ball outside the area. Obvious handball and Matthews was lucky to stay on the pitch. Argyle had a bright spot towards the end of the half but never really looked like scoring. At the other end Charlton came close a few times and won a series of corners. Matthews made a good save but the defence looked all over the place.

4) Very few highlights of the first from an Argyle perspective. Lameiras was the only outlet and got himself into food positions but when he got there was poor. Carey too looked crowded and seemed to have Ness and Sawyer with him every time he got the ball. It all felt like a game from October with no-one really being sure what to do and no obvious plan B.

5) We needed a change of plan or personnel - we were far too predictable. What would Adams do? Nothing. We started the second exactly as we finished the first. Once again a short pass from Lameiras let Charlton in. The ball flashed wide of the far post and Matthews watched it go past. It was enough and ATS and Fletcher on for Lameiras and Songo'o.

6) We were now 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield and Sawyer as left side centre back. Argyle continued to over elaborate and too many times we worked it quickly to the edge of the area only to turn back and play a square ball to a Charlton shirt. It still wasn't working and with 20 to go Paul Paton was on for Fox.

7) Argyle weren't at the races with too many players under par. Vyner had one of his worst games in a green shirt and both his centre back partners were worse. In midfield we gave ball after ball away. Even the normally dependable Fox and Threlkeld were poor.

8 ) Charlton looked like the more likely to score and went close a couple of times. Argyle had played all their cards and looked to be beaten. Carey dribbled into the box but kept going instead of passing. We had few ideas but we kept trying them again and again and again and again.

9) The end of a run. I'd like to be able to say we lost to a better team but we didn't. We were poor all over the pitch and apart from Taylor's flick that rolled agonisingly close I can't remember a shot that was even close to target, maybe a drive from Carey. We looked like the team that was bottom of the league. If we have any pretensions of the play offs we will need to be much better.

Remi Matthews - 6
Oscar Threlkeld - 6
Zak Vyner - 6
Yann Songo'o - 5
Gary Sawyer - 7
David Fox - 6
Jamie Ness - 6
Moses Makasi - 6
Ruben Lameiras - 6
Graham Carey - 5
Ryan Taylor - 7

Kyle Letheren - unused
Aaron Taylor-Sinclair - 6
Paul Paton - 5
Cameron Sangster - unused
Lionel Ainsworth - unused
Joel Grant - unused
Alex Fletcher - 5

So you don't think we lost to a better team. Not sure which game you were watching but I thought Charlton played well with some nice football as well as winning most of the headers and out muscling us. Matthews made several saves their keeper none. So how you can say they were not better than us at least on the day I have no idea.
Thought Fox played well first half and I have no idea what the substitutions were supposed to achieve. Paton looks very very average

Aug 5, 2016
Cobi Budge":245nx0y4 said:
ā€ŖNot a disaster and need to stay positive but worry we could start to fade if we carry on with the same defence for much longer, desperately need Bradley back or Sawyer to move across to CB.

Were you there today, only Sawyer was a calamity at CB and lost every header and physical duel. He put in one terrific last ditch tackle but was opened up time and again for 20 minutes. He hasn't got the pace to recover any weighted pass behind him, unlike Vyner or Threlkeld. He's not the answer to any CB question.

Mar 14, 2009
rsp4":y3xuib71 said:
PL2 3DQ":y3xuib71 said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":y3xuib71 said:
Before being shot down in flames there is nothing l said today that looks havent said in previous posts.

The full backs are slow. ATS, Sawyer and Threlkeld arent good enough in those positions. How many times do they beat an opposing full back? Or get a very decent cross in? Today was what always happens creativity wise. We pass it very slowly. It eventually gets out to them. They don't know what to do with it so look for Carey & Lameiras to give them the ball but they are tightly marked. We panick and lose the ball.

I don't understand with saying half the current squad aren't upto it. Look at the options today. They aren't game changers bringing on ATS or Fletcher. He doesn't seem to rate Ainsworth else we would play him and yet he is the one player who could run a defender. So if he isn't being picked what's the point in keeping him.

Last year when Bradley was injured the defence looked very vunerable. That's the same as this season. So how can you make a case for ATS, Sawyer, Songo and Threlkeld being decent league 1 defenders when today, last match against Rovers and other games this season they look so poor without Bradley.

We have a decent midfield in Fox, Ness and Sarcivic but where are the other midfield options when these aren't available? Sangster is surely better than the West Ham on loan guy who just doesn't take charge of any game situation. He just floats around the pitch. Passes the ball sideways or backwards and isn't involved for a fewhile more mins.

Today our Plan B was hoof it up to Taylor. After that there didn't seem any idea what should happen next. We bring Fletcher on but the game, like many others, passed him by.

Sure we had a good run and played some decent football. Yet today wasn't a one off. Even in patches where we were on our great run the problems highlighted above remained. The reason we get out of these problems is because of the character and fighting nature of our team. Yet when that is matched, like it was today, we can look one dimensional when the TLC parternship doesn't work.

We have 1 stand out player in league 1. 5-6 very decent standard league one players. After that lm afraid the squad is poor quality. You need a decent squad so you don't have to keep relying on the same 6-7 players to get you out of situations. Also the gap between say a Taylor in skill & quality and a Songo is too big. He is a whole hearted committed league 2 player at best. So when you have such vast deferentials in terms of your players then it's gonna impact results, like he had done before Taylor and Lameiras started playing in this team in December.

Today was disappointing. I've seen much worise though. I'm just trying to put it into some perspectI've where l think Argyle are at with this current squad.

You only had to see Charlton'so young, hungry, pacey youthful players to show how Argyle are missing some key ingredients in the team right now. They weren't great. Yet they were quicker and faster to the ball. And also when on the ball. We are pedestrian like at times and that is short of players in a number of key postions.

Even when we were winning last month, l felt like we are short of pace and quality in key areas. Which is why about 3 weeks ago l cashed out on my top 6 bet l placed months ago.

I think we done remarkably well to be where we are. Proud of the team. Yet to get to be a side getting promoted to league 1 l feel we just don't defensive issues and lack of pace throughout the side will be our endoing.

Was your last long critical post on the 20th January or 25th November? :smile:

:) :) :) mgm is back. Been quiet since November

And all the postive posts i've made since xmas? Buy hey we wont focus on that!

Mar 14, 2009
memory man":18aai68d said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":18aai68d said:
Before being shot down in flames there is nothing l said today that looks havent said in previous posts.

The full backs are slow. ATS, Sawyer and Threlkeld arent good enough in those positions. How many times do they beat an opposing full back? Or get a very decent cross in? Today was what always happens creativity wise. We pass it very slowly. It eventually gets out to them. They don't know what to do with it so look for Carey & Lameiras to give them the ball but they are tightly marked. We panick and lose the ball.

I don't understand with saying half the current squad aren't upto it. Look at the options today. They aren't game changers bringing on ATS or Fletcher. He doesn't seem to rate Ainsworth else we would play him and yet he is the one player who could run a defender. So if he isn't being picked what's the point in keeping him.

Last year when Bradley was injured the defence looked very vunerable. That's the same as this season. So how can you make a case for ATS, Sawyer, Songo and Threlkeld being decent league 1 defenders when today, last match against Rovers and other games this season they look so poor without Bradley.

We have a decent midfield in Fox, Ness and Sarcivic but where are the other midfield options when these aren't available? Sangster is surely better than the West Ham on loan guy who just doesn't take charge of any game situation. He just floats around the pitch. Passes the ball sideways or backwards and isn't involved for a fewhile more mins.

Today our Plan B was hoof it up to Taylor. After that there didn't seem any idea what should happen next. We bring Fletcher on but the game, like many others, passed him by.

Sure we had a good run and played some decent football. Yet today wasn't a one off. Even in patches where we were on our great run the problems highlighted above remained. The reason we get out of these problems is because of the character and fighting nature of our team. Yet when that is matched, like it was today, we can look one dimensional when the TLC parternship doesn't work.

We have 1 stand out player in league 1. 5-6 very decent standard league one players. After that lm afraid the squad is poor quality. You need a decent squad so you don't have to keep relying on the same 6-7 players to get you out of situations. Also the gap between say a Taylor in skill & quality and a Songo is too big. He is a whole hearted committed league 2 player at best. So when you have such vast deferentials in terms of your players then it's gonna impact results, like he had done before Taylor and Lameiras started playing in this team in December.

Today was disappointing. I've seen much worise though. I'm just trying to put it into some perspectI've where l think Argyle are at with this current squad.

You only had to see Charlton'so young, hungry, pacey youthful players to show how Argyle are missing some key ingredients in the team right now. They weren't great. Yet they were quicker and faster to the ball. And also when on the ball. We are pedestrian like at times and that is short of players in a number of key postions.

Even when we were winning last month, l felt like we are short of pace and quality in key areas. Which is why about 3 weeks ago l cashed out on my top 6 bet l placed months ago.

I think we done remarkably well to be where we are. Proud of the team. Yet to get to be a side getting promoted to league 1 l feel we have too many defensive issues, even with Bradley back, and lack of pace throughout the side will be our endoing. For example, today Charlton left sided player waltz into our own half in a couple of occasions and never got challenged until reaching our penalty box. That can't be right way for a top 6 side to defend like that. This kind of scenerio happens in games a few times and let think highlights our deficiencies.
Just when you think things couldn't get any worse today, along comes a second long post. I am confursed by the sentence containing "to get to be a side getting promoted to league 1 l feel we have too many defensive issues,". Isn't that something we have already achieved?

From League 1 I meant. Not to. Its not easy writing on a mobile ya know :cool:

Simply, when Bradley isnt in the side our defence falls apart. We rely so much on this one guy to hold everything else together. Even Vyner now doesn't ooze the confidence he showed before Bradley was injured.

ATS, Sawyer, Threkeld & Songo aren't players good enough to build a good league 1 defence upon. They make too many mistakes or lack pace. I feel this is what will cost us a place in the final 6 and that's what I meant.

If you watched Argyle against Rovers we were all over the place that day without Bradley. Its not something I just mentioned because we lost today. Its because its a genuine issue and it was covered against Rovers but it seems because we lost it gets more highlighted about it being negative today, than it did against Rovers.

Apr 5, 2008
Donā€™t expect Argyle to lose again this season.Always going to be one blip on the way to the play-offs. :scarf:

So no more long boring nonsensical posts from MGM to read again this season. :lol:

Letā€™s hope Adams has more faith in the players than MGM

ā€œSorry lads but getting us from the bottom of the table with a big chance of the play-offs ,is just not good enough after losing today.So Iā€™ve decided to get rid of half you lot ,ok? :lol: :facepalm:

memory man

āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
moles40":isl1rjon said:
Donā€™t expect Argyle to lose again this season.Always going to be one blip on the way to the play-offs. :scarf:

So no more long boring nonsensical posts from MGM to read again this season. :lol:

ā€œSorry lads but getting us from the bottom of the table with a big chance of the play-offs ,is just not good enough after losing today.So Iā€™ve decided to get rid of half you lot ,ok? :lol: :facepalm:
In case you did not understand the first time there is now a separate new (and prolonged) thread on the same topic - lol

Mar 14, 2009
memory man":uegurh57 said:
moles40":uegurh57 said:

In case you did not understand the first time there is now a separate new (and prolonged) thread on the same topic - lol

I made two posts that were long because l was stuck on a train coming back from a game l watched. The rest lm just replying to others. As for the thread l wanted to see if anyone thought like l did.

Iā€™ve made more than many positive posts in the final two months but highlighting areas of concern.

I canā€™t believe honesty that both of you think Songo is league 1 standard player. Aqeduate enough to sit in that back four. Only a few weeks ago he ducked a cross for the opposition player to score. Then last week he was turned and beaten on the byline by Harrison to score. Yesterday he lost a forward just outside the six yard box.

This has been happening over the past few weeks. Many have commented on it.

You both have a go at my posts but yet you donā€™t give any sort of reply in terms of why l have it wrong. All you say is ā€œyour post is too longā€ but donā€™t state which players you believe is good enough at this level.