Time for another South American Tour? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Time for another South American Tour?

Jan 8, 2006
In the summer of 1924, a Plymouth Argyle team visited South America to play some exhibition football in Uruguay and Argentina. Argyle thrashed Uruguay 4–0 in their first game (Uruguay went on to win the first ever World Cup just six years later) before pulling off another shock by beating Argentina 1–0. They then held Argentinean giants Boca Juniors to a credible 1–1 draw. Moses Russell captained the side and played in all nine matches. Russell's style of play caught the attention of the Argentine press; at the end of the tour 'The Standard of Buenos Aires' commented:
"The visit of Plymouth Argyle will be best remembered by the outstanding personality and genius of Moses Russell. His effective style, precise judgement, accurate and timely clearances, powerful kicking and no less useful work with his head...one of the most wonderful backs and one of the brainiest players ever seen on the football field."
In the match against Boca Juniors on 9 July 1924, the Boca Juniors supporters invaded the pitch after their team had scored the opening goal and carried all eleven home players shoulder high around the stadium. After a half hour delay, the referee restarted the match, but a further invasion was sparked when the referee awarded a penalty against the home side. When the match was again restarted, the Argyle players had agreed that Patsy Corcoran would take the spot-kick and miss, to prevent another pitch invasion. However, the ultra-competitive Russell was not prepared to accept this, and just before Corcoran was about to take the penalty he was pushed aside by Russell who took it himself and scored. This prompted a further pitch invasion by the Boca fans and this time the match was abandoned.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Sure, we can fund it from the surplus in our transfer funding. :twisted:

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Moses Russell's page on GoS is well worth a read.

Greens On Screen

I'm all in favour of a pre season tour of Wales in his honour. :)

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
GreensOnScreen":2qdgzalx said:
More about that tour here:

http://www.greensonscreen.co.uk/argyleh ... =1920-1930 (half way down)

And even more here:

http://www.greensonscreen.co.uk/sv-tour ... merica.asp (an older GoS page).

So rumours were abundant even in 1924 that Argyle didn't want promotion..

"By 1924-25 rumours were rife that the club did not want promotion because of its potential effects on costs and the loss of revenue from being a previously successful side, although this was strongly denied by the Board. "The idea is simply ridiculous, and as soon as supporters realise this the better it will be for the club", said the club's handbook at the start of the season. Nevertheless, close calls in the three preceding seasons and the three that followed only served to fuel the rumour."

Quoted from GoS so if it's not allowed can the mods delete the post please.

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
I have a Double Page Spread from El Grafico ( an Argentine magazine of the time)with pictures of the tour....once I have worked out how to link my nmew scanner printer to my PC I'll try and post

Jan 27, 2012
Keepitgreen":3pqczeu4 said:
Moses Russell's page on GoS is well worth a read.

Greens On Screen

I'm all in favour of a pre season tour of Wales in his honour. :)

He looks like a right little hard nut !

I like the cartoons that were drawn of him in newspapers during that era. They can be seen in Harley Lawers' excellent book Argyle Classics. In my opinion the highest quality Argyle book of all time and a delve into the social history of the area as well as football. It would be great to see it updated.