Page 21 of 142

Re: Government Brexit Proposal & DD Resignation

Posted: 12:53 02 Oct 2018
by Quinny
To outline the scale of the problem TM has within her own party, Sajid Javid - the Home Secretary - is addressing a half-empty main hall at their conference. Everyone is queueing up to listen to BoJo.

Oh, and she's just been shafted by the DUP, who are also backing BoJo's Brexit vision. Still, 6 months to go. I'm sure it'll work out fine.....

Re: Government Brexit Proposal & DD Resignation

Posted: 11:07 04 Oct 2018
by greeneagle
it isn't a case of the EU being in any driving seat: they're a rule / law based Union, and everything they do is based purely on their laws and regulations.


Isn't that one of the points the Brexiteers were making?

Re: Government Brexit Proposal & DD Resignation

Posted: 11:50 04 Oct 2018
by Quinny
Well, no, not really. The complant from some Brexiters was that they were under the impression (wrongly) that laws were forced upon us and we had to regain our sovereignty from Brussels. The point I'm making is different (maybe badly explained on my part) in that there is very little scope for the EU to move to make compromises for the UK without having to change their laws, and the ones they most certainly won't compromise on to accommodate us is the 4 freedoms.

Re: Government Brexit Proposal & DD Resignation

Posted: 12:11 04 Oct 2018
by greeneagle
Quinny wrote: Well, no, not really. The complant from some Brexiters was that they were under the impression (wrongly) that laws were forced upon us and we had to regain our sovereignty from Brussels. The point I'm making is different (maybe badly explained on my part) in that there is very little scope for the EU to move to make compromises for the UK without having to change their laws, and the ones they most certainly won't compromise on to accommodate us is the 4 freedoms.


Fair comment, it really is a dogs breakfast!!

Re: Government Brexit Proposal & DD Resignation

Posted: 12:24 04 Oct 2018
by Quinny
Now that I agree with!

Re: Government Brexit Proposal & DD Resignation

Posted: 08:16 06 Oct 2018
by Frank_Butcher
Juncker noticeably upbeat about a deal in the press today. Sterling rising. Ireland remains the key sticking point.

Re: Government Brexit Proposal & DD Resignation

Posted: 13:15 06 Oct 2018
by Isondil
Sorry Quinny...that’s a very loose and misleading comment do you not think, pertaining to EU influence over UK law? However I do concur with you highlighting the vast scope that is before the UK in its negotiations.

The reason I challenge such a sweeping statement is that you say it was ‘wrong that the EU forces laws on the UK’! Between 1990 and mid 2017 some 53,741 laws passed in this country were resultant fromEU law or policy. [Source: EUR-Lex. Laws include regulations (directly applicable to all EU member states) and directives (rules to be incorporated into individual member states existing national laws)]. I admit this is a combination of Acts (only about 13% of Acts passed by parliament were by result of EU in this time period), Statutory instruments and - most importantly- most EU regulations don't require new UK laws. They can be implemented in the UK without new legislation, for example by simply changing administrative rules.

These have most noticeable impacted trade, agriculture, finance and environmental sectors. I am by no means saying much or many are bad. I think things like laws implementing the EU Emissions Trading Scheme to cut greenhouse gas emissions from major industries and various financial incentives to achieve 15% of UK energy from renewables by 2020 is a sign of what the EU do exceptionally well on. I may even argue that 15% was too conservative considering the longer term benefits. There are others such as packaging requirements that have been a great success (harmonising European ‘standards’ as well the Working Time Directive.

There are some however that are just daft like the ‘right to be forgotten rule’ that’s in the UK because some Spanish guy didn’t want people to search his name on the internet and find out about his past misdeeds.

Others I feel are daft include child benefit payments for child not in the country or living with you; common fisheries policy; minimum VAT on certain goods or services (1%of all VAT raised in any EU member state is paid to the EU) [I concede this isn’t on all goods and services, only some]; misshapen bananas - because the EU set out the minimum length, maximum curvature are just some examples.

Re: Government Brexit Proposal & DD Resignation

Posted: 09:02 12 Oct 2018
by Mike Charlick
Project Fear...
Kent motorway to shut as work begins on possible post-Brexit lorry park

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... _clipboard

Re: Government Brexit Proposal & DD Resignation

Posted: 09:14 12 Oct 2018
by Martyn
Mike Charlick wrote: Project Fear...
Kent motorway to shut as work begins on possible post-Brexit lorry park

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... _clipboard



Is it, it is a decision, being made by May’s government.

Re: Government Brexit Proposal & DD Resignation

Posted: 10:01 12 Oct 2018
by Mike E
Mike Charlick wrote: Project Fear...
Kent motorway to shut as work begins on possible post-Brexit lorry park

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... _clipboard



Call it what you want.

Project Reality might be more apt

Re: Government Brexit Proposal & DD Resignation

Posted: 15:24 15 Oct 2018
by andyr1963
So is this lorry park going to have enough toilets, food outlets etc? How can they possibly get the portacabins up and running in time? Don't they know the difficulties in shopfitting a portacabin. Have they questioned Argyle about why it has taken so long to fit out? The GT's bar is to be a modular construction and was to opened at the beginning of the season, maybe I miss understood as planning application only recently went in. Oh the problems of Brexit are comparatively insignificant. :lol:

Sorry I'll get me coat. :coat:

Re: Government Brexit Proposal & DD Resignation

Posted: 15:31 15 Oct 2018
by Pogleswoody
andyr1963 wrote: So is this lorry park going to have enough toilets, food outlets etc? How can they possibly get the portacabins up and running in time? Don't they know the difficulties in shopfitting a portacabin. Have they questioned Argyle about why it has taken so long to fit out? The GT's bar is to be a modular construction and was to opened at the beginning of the season, maybe I miss understood as planning application only recently went in. Oh the problems of Brexit are comparatively insignificant. :lol:

Sorry I'll get me coat. :coat:



How many cameras per lorry?
How many stepladders will be provided for leaning purposes?
Wow it is complex this!

Re: Government Brexit Proposal & DD Resignation

Posted: 09:06 18 Oct 2018
by Martyn
Heard today, the Environmental secreatary, (our brilliant Mr. Gove !!!), is NOW very very worried about the M26, to be used as a lorry park, after march next year.

Couple of points on this, firstly, it is only a few months away from us crashing out of the EU, and he his NOW just realising.

Secondly, he and his Brexit mates have all along been saying this is nothing more than ‘project fear’, now it looks like ‘Project reality’.