Messageboard Home  | Fantasy Football  | Predictions  | Club Info  | About P@SOTI  | Privacy Policy  
Until the end of season:

The Home Park refurbishment will be completed in It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:05 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 886 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69  Next
 Post subject: Re: Donald Trump
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:43 am 

Quinny wrote:
Martyn wrote:
As Trump stated that the Midterms elections was a vote on himself.

Has the Americans now beginning to realise at last that they have made a mistake.Hopefully

Yes ... and no. Don't forget Obama lost out big time in the mid-terms (which are traditionally a protest vote) in his first term in office and still went on to win the next Presidential election, and also last night the Republicans increased their control in the Senate.

The Republicans losing control of the House was a blow for Trump, but last night wasn't catastrophic. If nothing else the Democrats controlling the House will put a check on Trump's ambitions and he'll have to start working with them. If he starts behaving more Presidential over the next two years then, unless the Democrats can find a real challenger to him (and if Mueller can't find anything to hang him on), there's a very real chance of Trump winning a second term in 2020.

I suspect Trump will win a second term unless something catastrophic happens. I realise most Senate seats contested were in Republican territory but I think the Dems will be quietly disappointed that they didn't make even bigger inroads in both houses.

Checks and balances, yes. But Trump will just use this to blame the Dems for blocking all the wonderful things he wants to do for America. Hard to see anything stopping him really.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:19 am 

I had an interesting online conversation with one of my American mates last night (who knows waaay more about this stuff than me) who commented that a +9% swing to the Democrats in the House popular vote, when the economy is booming and unemployment is low is actually a very big kick in the goolies to Trump. Also, indications were a lot of Republican voters were unhappy with Trump's performance but saw past that to vote for their local Republican officials. How that would pan out in two years time when it's down to a Democrat or Republican nomination for the Oval Office - who knows, but many Republicans may well be swayed away from Trump if a Republican like Kasich decided to run against him.

Frank - Trump may well blame the Democrats for blocking anything he proposes now they own the House, but I think he'll struggle to make that stand when Obama (rightly) blamed the Republicans for exactly the same tactic 4 years ago.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I've suffered for my music ... now it's your turn"
Neil Innes (Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:22 am 

Clarke_B wrote:
Quinny wrote:
Pogleswoody wrote:
'Mr. Trump has magic about him. This guy has magic coming out of his ears. '

Yes and total bullshine coming out of his gob!! :facepalm:

I did choke on my cocoa last night seeing a tweet from Clint Eastwood calling Trump the best POTUS ever. I think senility has finally set in for poor Clint.

Eastwood doesn't have a twitter account. What you read is obviously from a fake account in his name.

You know - it was late. I was tired. I didn't even bother to check if it were a spoof accout :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:26 am 

Trump has wasted no time in firing Jeff Sessions and installing Matt Whitaker, otherwise known as A. Stooge. He's on record time and again as being heavily critical of the Mueller investigation, so it looks very much that he'll be doing his utmost to cripple the process and do untold damage long before the new Democrat majority Congresspeople are sworn in in January.

This is a shamelessly unethical move by Trump, to put it very mildly. Will any of his tame Senators now actually have the guts to call him out on it?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:28 am 

harry's sandwich wrote:
Less than 24 hours after losing the House, Trump, in full panic mode, sacks Sessions. Next he'll try to shut dowm Mueller's investigation. It's the Saturday Night Massacre all over again. This is what obstruction of justice looks like.

From what I heard on the Today radio programme this morning, that's not the most likely outcome. There are more than enough Republicans in both chambers who want the investigation to continue, so the most likely outcome would be that the Attorney General (whoever that is, most likely a Trump lackey) would not release the findings of the investigation (as Mueller reports to the AG). Democrats could well try and subpoena the report, it could go to the supreme court and Trump could use his Executive Privilege to block it, and then it all gets very messy constitutionally.

But sacking Sessions just hours after losing the House (who could force now an impeachment vote on him) to put in one of his own yes-men to control the investigation (or at least sit on the results) doesn't look put Trump in a good light.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:11 am 

Frank_Butcher wrote:
Quinny wrote:
Martyn wrote:

Has the Americans now beginning to realise at last that they have made a mistake.Hopefully

Yes ... and no. Don't forget Obama lost out big time in the mid-terms (which are traditionally a protest vote) in his first term in office and still went on to win the next Presidential election, and also last night the Republicans increased their control in the Senate.

The Republicans losing control of the House was a blow for Trump, but last night wasn't catastrophic. If nothing else the Democrats controlling the House will put a check on Trump's ambitions and he'll have to start working with them. If he starts behaving more Presidential over the next two years then, unless the Democrats can find a real challenger to him (and if Mueller can't find anything to hang him on), there's a very real chance of Trump winning a second term in 2020.

I suspect Trump will win a second term unless something catastrophic happens. I realise most Senate seats contested were in Republican territory but I think the Dems will be quietly disappointed that they didn't make even bigger inroads in both houses.

Checks and balances, yes. But Trump will just use this to blame the Dems for blocking all the wonderful things he wants to do for America. Hard to see anything stopping him really.

I think there is a lot to stop him but depends to a certain extent on who the challenger is. He only scraped in last time with less votes than Clinton. The economy may take a downturn by then. The Democrats have more power to influence investigation processes which should show Trump in his real light.
Possibly like Brexit a fair few people voted for it/him as a protest vote not for one moment believing that he would win. Lesson learnt.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:49 pm 

Balham_Green wrote:
Frank_Butcher wrote:
Quinny wrote:
Martyn wrote:

I think there is a lot to stop him but depends to a certain extent on who the challenger is. He only scraped in last time with less votes than Clinton. The economy may take a downturn by then. The Democrats have more power to influence investigation processes which should show Trump in his real light.
Possibly like Brexit a fair few people voted for it/him as a protest vote not for one moment believing that he would win. Lesson learnt.

For different reasons I would say Beto O'Rourke (obvious at the moment) or Eric Swallwell (handsome and sensible). Like it or not, these things matter.

Michael Avenatti v Trump would be very entertaining but far too divisive.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:58 pm 

One thing that struck me yesterday, was what Trump said, ‘ the way the press (CNN in particular), has treated Sarah Saunders the WH press secretary is disgraceful).

Which reminded me of the comments Trump said about Dr. Ford at his pre midterm ‘Nuremberg’,
rallies, was absolutely disgraceful, totally humiliating her to the Worlds press. Talking about double standards.

What a totally obscene person he is, can’t even call him a man.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:39 pm 

I see that an 85 year old Democrat supreme court judge has fallen and broken ribs. Another Trump supreme court appointment in the offing?

Last edited by pilgrimage on Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:04 am 

pilgrimage wrote:
I see that an 85 year old Democrat supreme court judge has fallen and broken ribs. Another Trump supreme court appointment in the offing?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:06 pm 

Quinny wrote:
I had an interesting online conversation with one of my American mates last night (who knows waaay more about this stuff than me) who commented that a +9% swing to the Democrats in the House popular vote, when the economy is booming and unemployment is low is actually a very big kick in the goolies to Trump. Also, indications were a lot of Republican voters were unhappy with Trump's performance but saw past that to vote for their local Republican officials. How that would pan out in two years time when it's down to a Democrat or Republican nomination for the Oval Office - who knows, but many Republicans may well be swayed away from Trump if a Republican like Kasich decided to run against him.

Frank - Trump may well blame the Democrats for blocking anything he proposes now they own the House, but I think he'll struggle to make that stand when Obama (rightly) blamed the Republicans for exactly the same tactic 4 years ago.

As Clinton famously said “it’s the economy stupid” that is the number one factor - which for Trump at the moment is a card to play for the middle ground while at the same time rallying his base (and they are very base) with his offensive language & actions. He inherited an economy that was already doing quite well and recovering steadily from the financial crash but he can take some credit for boosting it by pumping trillions in via tax cuts (mostly for the rich) and massive military & some infrastructure spending. However, this has been done at the expense of a ballooning deficit that now stands at $779 billion which is a 17 per cent jump in the last year despite the strong growth rate (see link). This is quite contrary to the traditional Republican claims of being the party of fiscal responsibility and who normally accuse the Democrats of tax-and-spend recklessness. How sustainable can this boost be though and how long before his protectionist policies and trade wars start to bite back ? If the economy does start to stall his best card will fail however hard he will try to blame the Democrats in the House.

I really can’t see Trump winning a second term because the planets aligned favourably for him last time – he won by a very narrow margin despite losing the popular vote against probably the least popular Democratic candidate they could have chosen. It’s hard to see him being that lucky again without actually increasing his popular vote especially as his personality is mobilising Democrats who would not normally bother voting. As your friend says the middle ground Republicans are finding him hard to stomach but in the mid-terms they could tell themselves that they were not electing a President but supporting their own local Republican whilst at the same time voting for their own family’s prosperity. So the fact he isn’t already cruising to a second term in this favourable economic climate and lost the House is in many ways quite remarkable. For him to have a chance of a second term the economy must still be burning just as brightly in two years’ time AND all the scandals swirling him around must not have landed AND the Democrats will have to pick another dud ……….. I think the chances must be low but not unfortunately insignificant.

I can’t wait to see the day he loses – he is a sociopath who hates criticism and rejection of any kind so it will just kill him to be rejected like that – of course he will claim the election was rigged, that it was a media conspiracy etc. etc. …. But it will be so sweet to see.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... e09f17a697

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:16 pm 

Amen to that, Bruvva! :greensmile:

In the latest "you just can't make this sh1t up" Trump administration mind-bend it turns out that new acting AG Matt Whitaker is under active FBI investigation for being intimately involved in the advisory board of a fraudulent company that scammed investors out of $26 million while threatening them with a visit from an Israeli Mossad-type unit skilled in the military martial art of Krav Maga (MAGA! :-)) if they dared go public.

All this aside from the screamingly loud conflicts of interest brought about by Whitaker's own many previous strongly anti-Mueller comments and numerous semi-secret advisory meetings with Trump in the White House, of course.

(Cue Trump, who appointed him, switching from "I know Matthew Whitaker, he's a great guy, hugely respected, etc. etc. blah blah" a few weeks ago to "I don't know Matthew Whitaker" now.)

One must assume that the Trump admin knew all this in advance, in which case one must also assume that they're so arrogant (or perhaps desperate) that they imagine (or perhaps pray) that they can brazen it out and still have Whitaker do his utmost to destroy the Mueller probe, which is of course exactly why he was appointed in the first place.

I think we can also assume that Mueller anticipated all of this well in advance, and if so we can but hope (and indeed pray) that he has measures in place to circumvent this latest flagrant attempt to obstruct justice and prevent Trump and various cronies and family members from ending their days breaking rocks and sewing mail bags in the Big House.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:29 pm 

Heard on the grapvine from my american wife that someone called Elizabeth Windsor is in the running to replace Trump based pn the slogan Take Us Back Please.

Of course it may be fake news.

cjh

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 886 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69  Next