“All action” players | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

“All action” players

Jul 28, 2020
A comment from Shrewsbury manager Steve Cotterill, yesterday, interested me. He described new signing Ryan Bowman as “all action” - its a comment which particularly chimed with me, having seen Bowman play, perhaps half a dozen times, over the last two seasons.

Without wishing to get into the should we/ shouldn’t we debate around Bowman ( because I’m sure Ryan will answer that himself over the coming season) - I am interested in the concept of “all action” players.

What is an “all action” player- and are they related to a side’s success? It got me thinking. To me the term “all action” refers to constant motion, positive mental attitude, chasing things down, being extremely positive on the ball, never giving up- also there must be an element of leadership - setting an example to other players.

If you could bottle the “all action” mindset and sell in a fizzy concoction I’m sure you’d make a £million.

Argyle have had a few “all action” players over the years - I particularly think of Jamie Macklemore, Kevin’s Hodges, Yann Songo, Paul Wotton, George Foster, Johnny Hore, Andy Morrison. Hasn’t one of Argyles main problems over the last few years not been formation- but too few “all action” players ?

I think it’s even possible to make the case that if an inferior team chock full of “all action” players will beat a technically better opponent. In fact I’ve seen that myself. Slightly giving my age away here, remember watching Wimbledon ( Dennis wise and co) beat Aston Villa 3-2 at plough lane, in one of their first matches back in league 1 ( as it was then) . Out of possession they were all over Villa- like a swarm of wasps. Very impressive. Now that was an “ all action” team.....

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I checked the definition of 'all action' in the Oxford English Dictionary and it simply said 'David Norris'.

For the current squad Panutche Camara (the September to December 2020 version) is the closest to an all action player.

Jul 28, 2020
I missed Chuck out of my list :doh:

Agree about Panuche, too.

But does the “all action” mindset show up on data analytics ? I doubt it. This is why I’m sceptical, if we’re solely using this, as a recruiting tool. You can’t beat scouting a player IMO

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It might show on the data analytics and GPS packs as yards covered, all action players tend to run and run and run.

When Camara signed for Argyle he was asked how he plays and he said "I run".

Jul 28, 2020
Yes, true. You sometimes hear commentators talking about flair players, and saying they have a good “ work rate” , and I suppose this is referring to the same thing- tackling back when the other team have possession.

I wonder whether coaches can instill the “ all action” mindset into players who don’t have it ? I guess it’s not that easy- otherwise the likes of Ashley Smith- Brown would presumably still be with the club, and doing well.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
PL2 3DQ":2zi1zdk6 said:
It might show on the data analytics and GPS packs as yards covered, all action players tend to run and run and run.

When Camara signed for Argyle he was asked how he plays and he said "I run".

I guess the interesting data won't only be the total distance run but also how that running is broken down into sprints/bursts and the areas on the pitch that the running is done etc.

Incidentally, as a runner myself who tracks every run with my gps watch I'm quite intrigued by the gps systems that players wear. Normal gps is not THAT accurate - for example it can place you on one side of a road when you know that you ran on the other etc. and the time resolution of readings can mean that sharp turns etc. are misrepresented. I would have thought that a normal gps unit would not be sufficiently accurate to discern what are really just fine-scale movements of a footballer over the relatively small pitch area. It would be interesting to see a player's gps trace up against a video record of their movements. I guess that money can buy high quality units with rapid refresh and the highest resolution possible without going 'military'.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
I believe I read somewhere that the GPS units used on footballers are made more accurate by having ground-based GPS transmitters at the grounds. Triangulation from these improves the accuracy.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Argylegames":2gmhd8xi said:
I believe I read somewhere that the GPS units used on footballers are made more accurate by having ground-based GPS transmitters at the grounds. Triangulation from these improves the accuracy.

That would make sense (and add to the cost of the systems) although presumably they'd only work if all teams had the same base units present at their grounds.