Matt Macey discussion (split thread) | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Matt Macey discussion (split thread)

Oct 5, 2013
(Quote) Former Argyle loan keeper Matt Macey was named as a substitute for Arsenal's Premier League game against Southampton on Thursday evening.[/quote]

He must have learnt how to throw/kick the ball into touch now then.

Jun 27, 2019
Macey must have some dirt on the Arsenal hierarchy, it's the only explanation for them not kicking him out the door years ago.

Jun 24, 2008
WoodsyGreen":125t586d said:
Macey must have some dirt on the Arsenal hierarchy, it's the only explanation for them not kicking him out the door years ago.

Arsenal are just a joke of a club. They haven't got a clue defensively, David Luiz just been offered a new contract after all his mistakes. Liverpool's Karius cost them a final, was shipped out and bought Alisson and are now champions of Europe, England and the World. They can highlight there issues and fix them.

Matt Macey on the bench for Arsenal is the least surprising thing ever :lol:

Mar 16, 2009
London
macleanie":lmjo7k6a said:
WoodsyGreen":lmjo7k6a said:

Arsenal are just a joke of a club. They haven't got a clue defensively, David Luiz just been offered a new contract after all his mistakes. Liverpool's Karius cost them a final, was shipped out and bought Alisson and are now champions of Europe, England and the World. They can highlight there issues and fix them.

Arteta's choice on Luiz, who values him as a great mentor for the wealth of outstanding youngsters breaking in into the first team squad.

Happy for Matt that he's still highly rated at Arsenal. He signed a contract extension a few weeks ago-

https://www.justarsenal.com/arsenal-make-excellent-signing-with-perfect-timing-for-a-change/249196

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Justin":13om9wub said:
macleanie":13om9wub said:
WoodsyGreen":13om9wub said:

Arteta's choice on Luiz, who values him as a great mentor for the wealth of outstanding youngsters breaking in into the first team squad.

Happy for Matt that he's still highly rated at Arsenal. He signed a contract extension a few weeks ago-

https://www.justarsenal.com/arsenal-make-excellent-signing-with-perfect-timing-for-a-change/249196

£120k a week seems a lot for a mentor...

I don't think the reason for Macey still being at Arsenal is that he is highly rated. More to the tune than he is happy to accept £10k a week (or whatever he is on) to be a 3rd choice goalkeeper.

Mar 16, 2009
London
Emu":2pjdfahx said:
Justin":2pjdfahx said:
macleanie":2pjdfahx said:
WoodsyGreen":2pjdfahx said:

£120k a week seems a lot for a mentor...

I don't think the reason for Macey still being at Arsenal is that he is highly rated. More to the tune than he is happy to accept £10k a week (or whatever he is on) to be a 3rd choice goalkeeper.

How do you know what salary was agreed? For either of those players? Luiz accepted a heavily reduced salary I've heard.

If Macey wasn't rated, why would they have offered him a new deal? Doesn't make any sense. You don't think Arsenal have an academy or anything?

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
The simple truth is that there must be a huge difference between the opinion of Arsenal’s management and at least 95% of Argyle supporters.
I guess that one day he may return to Home Park for another club and ‘put egg on our faces’.
I don’t expect it to happen but, if it did, I would be the first to hold my hands up.
I am convinced that, if Alex Palmer was our loan keeper last season, we would, comfortably, have avoided relegation.

Apr 1, 2009
davie nine":bnzydv23 said:
The simple truth is that there must be a huge difference between the opinion of Arsenal’s management and at least 95% of Argyle supporters.
I guess that one day he may return to Home Park for another club and ‘put egg on our faces’.
I don’t expect it to happen but, if it did, I would be the first to hold my hands up.
I am convinced that, if Alex Palmer was our loan keeper last season, we would, comfortably, have avoided relegation.

Without a doubt.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
xmastree":1enbfnmj said:
davie nine":1enbfnmj said:

Without a doubt.

Yes and there is a lot of talk on here about the abilities of Canavan, Wootton and Sawyer, and their contributions. Fact is, with Macey behind them, they often didn't play so well. With Palmer behind them, they improved beyond belief. Thing is, with a keeper, it isn't just ability, it is presence, control, calmness. If an experienced defender 'trusts' you, then that defender can play with more confidence.
Macey might be a good technical keeper but his 'team handling' was poor for us.

Mar 16, 2009
London
xmastree":clc4nqnq said:
davie nine":clc4nqnq said:

Without a doubt.

So now relegation was all down to one player?

I think I'd rather trust the opinions of professionals than myopic fans, thanks.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Of course, you are entitled to your facetious opinion, Vampires.
We, as Argyle supporters, are entitled to ours, based on watching Matt Macey play in 33 league games in 2018/19. I saw all home matches and extended highlights of all away matches. Did he impress you?
It is interesting that no other EFL club decided to take him on loan in 2019/20. The only reason that he is on the bench, currently, is because of an injury to their first choice keeper.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Justin":2dskwc12 said:
xmastree":2dskwc12 said:
davie nine":2dskwc12 said:

Without a doubt.

So now relegation was all down to one player?

I think I'd rather trust the opinions of professionals than myopic fans, thanks.

Yes obviously; you mean Adams, Wotton and Nancekivell?? :think: