Off topic - Sheffield W | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Off topic - Sheffield W

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
I was tempted to have a look at this one, given my love for the Owls who naturally hate red and white striped pigs.

Everywhere there’s lots of piggies, living piggy lives
You can see them out for dinner with their piggy wives (before lockdown).

Even the Beatles hate the Blunts!

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Well, I don’t know about laughing longest. We will have the last laugh this season, but I suspect if City fans have anything about them, they will be singing some sort of song about that result for many years.

Please don’t take this the wrong way, but my 'other team' beat Sheffield United by exactly the same score line on the 26th December 1979 at Hillsborough. Forever after it became known as the Boxing Day Massacre and Owls sing about it at every home match (and most aways) to this day. So Argyle could really have done with getting that monkey off their back this season, but it wasn’t to be. I’m sure that one day we will give the Greeks a hammering, but then again I hope not because I want Argyle to get up to the Championship and stay there. Honolulu Argyle :scarf:

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
And at least Ginsters is a nationally recognised name with at least an element of credibility, even though I don’t much like their pasties. I can remember having to walk around with Chupa Chups on a replica shirt many moons ago (not Argyle). Embarrassing or what!?! :facepalm:

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
philevs":1tiejuzl said:
xmastree":1tiejuzl said:
philevs":1tiejuzl said:
Personal view is that if any other club indicated to Argyle an interest in RL, permission to speak to him would be refused. Any other club would be informed at the same time that if they then broke the league’s regulations by approaching him, Argyle would take legal action against them. And if despite this he ended up going anywhere else, Argyle would succeed in obtaining possibly millions of £s in compensation with their legal expenses also covered by the other party.
This is one of the reasons I don’t think he will be leaving..

The "legal expenses also covered by the other party" is by no means certain, it's very much on the whim of the courts. As a result, clubs can't risk it and go down the settlement route. Settlement means compromise, which in turn means less compo. "Millions" for a L1 manager with 2 years left on their contract is, I'm afraid, fantasy.

I don’t think it’s fantasy, because legal fees alone would likely be several hundred grand, and it could be argued that the loss of such a manager and subsequent promotion would cost the club several million, because it’s quite possibly true.
Anyway, that would be the argument put to any club making an approach without Argyle’s permission to do so.

It in all seriousness Phil - When has that ever happened? Once a manager becomes aware that a bigger club is interested in him and he WANTS to go, that’s usually it. Clubs then argue about the compensation package and generally come to an agreement. I know how bitter things got when Steve Bruce did the dirty last summer. Lots of threats of legal action, but in the end Ashley and Chansiri came to an agreement, (presumably) shook hands (maybe not) and we’ve been in the kack ever since! :doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.