Another one for our onsite Refs | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Another one for our onsite Refs

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Just a quick question bought about from lasts nights Spurs v Norwich penalty shoot out (before i go on let me be clear all my in-laws are Norwich fans and i was desperate for them to win) - regarding the keepers antics?

OK so Tim Krul, does a few pantomime tricks, delays the first kick speaks to the penalty taker - in normal or extra time - his actions would have produced a yellow card.
He does the same for the next 2, by the 4th penalty been taken by a teenager (not that thats relevant) he takes it to another level, encroaching on areas of the pitch goalkeepers shouldn't be during a shoot out. Openly berating the taker before and after the penalty.

So....
Firstly why wasn't he booked
Secondly having repeated the offence - could the referee have sent him off?
If so who goes in goal for the final penalty, assuming all subs have been made?
If the teenager had reacted and thrown a head-butt before he had taken his penalty - what happens are the team allowed to alter their penalty taking line up?

It just got me thinking as whilst alot of it is panto stuff, its getting worse and someone on a big stage is going to push to far and see red.

Grateful for a pointer as to why a referee would firstly ignore the behaviour (especially when you can show a red card after the final whistle) when the game is still active and what are blatant and obvious infringements.
And what the law states for red cards in shoot outs.#

Many thanks in advance

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Players most definitely can still receive yellow and red cards during the shoot out. Unsporting behaviour is a cautionable offence. Why a referee might turn a blind eye I can't answer. I was also concerned that the lino allowed the keepers to advance off their line when that is the only job he has now. Goal line technology takes care of whether the ball crosses the line these days.

As for who goes in goal, only players who are on the pitch at full time can take part in the shoot out and therefore it can't be a substitute 'keeper from the bench.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Cheers Cabbie.

Dont get me started on Lino's during penalty shoot outs - more hopeless than UEFA's 4th and 5th assistants who were supposed to help keep an extra eye on the penalty area's but just slept for 90 mins.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
I think by that point all the officials had gone home.

I sat there fairly and squarely in the Norwich camp wanting them to win - i just couldn't quite get my head around how Krul was getting away with it.
He has already been booked 3 times this season during the taking of a penalty (one against Arsenal when he saved the first time and a retake was necessary - how he escaped a red i dont know) - so its not like the officials are oblivious to what was about to happen - everyone in the ground and at home knew he was going to everything possible to upset the Spurs players.

As soon as he say the lad stepping forward he met him on the edge of the 18 yard box - for a good chat. The officials were as weak as can be to allow that. I was just curious as to why they were so reluctant to act - was it something i was missing.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Voice_of_Reason":eojechpl said:

I sat there fairly and squarely in the Norwich camp wanting them to win - i just couldn't quite get my head around how Krul was getting away with it.
He has already been booked 3 times this season during the taking of a penalty (one against Arsenal when he saved the first time and a retake was necessary - how he escaped a red i dont know) - so its not like the officials are oblivious to what was about to happen - everyone in the ground and at home knew he was going to everything possible to upset the Spurs players.

As soon as he say the lad stepping forward he met him on the edge of the 18 yard box - for a good chat. The officials were as weak as can be to allow that. I was just curious as to why they were so reluctant to act - was it something i was missing.

I haven't seen it but I think, if I was a Spurs player, I might just stop my approach, point at Krul and appeal to the ref.
Sort of: 'What is he doing? What are you going to do about it?'.
Then again, they might think that is him winning, them weakening? :think:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Pogleswoody":nbe1tgqm said:
Voice_of_Reason":nbe1tgqm said:

I haven't seen it but I think, if I was a Spurs player, I might just stop my approach, point at Krul and appeal to the ref.
Sort of: 'What is he doing? What are you going to do about it?'.
Then again, they might think that is him winning, them weakening? :think:

Older players might have done that but when they are inexperienced teenagers they're going to have all sorts of things going through their head to be that cool about the situation.

May 22, 2006
Krul said after the match that details of which way the Spurs players had previously taken penalties were written on his water bottle. That’s why he went for a drink before each penalty.

His antics were unsporting and he always came well off his line. The ref should have put a stop to it with a yellow card on the first penalty.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I thought he was sensational and totally bossed the entire penalty shoot-out.
What more could a club want from their keeper in such a situation?