VAR | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

VAR

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Derby's goal ruled out tonight for a toe being offside after a 2 minute+ delay, how is that in any way clear and obvious?

I'm a fan of VAR when correctly used but it's not ready to be rolled out if officials don't know when to and when not to use it.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Cobi Budge":1vqfrfpx said:
Derby's goal ruled out tonight for a toe being offside after a 2 minute+ delay, how is that in any way clear and obvious?

I'm a fan of VAR when correctly used but it's not ready to be rolled out if officials don't know when to and when not to use it.

As was pointed out by the MotD team, his toe was probably level with the defender's shoulder and therefore not offside anyway. They took too much time to come to (in my opinion), the wrong decision.

Super horns

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jul 26, 2008
And wasn't a clear cut error which I think VAR is really meant to be used for .

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
WFC4EVER":1hm7h777 said:
And wasn't a clear cut error which I think VAR is really meant to be used for .

PGMOL don't use that "clear and obvious error" term them anymore. It's only used by the media. In their view, offside is a matter of fact rather than a referee's opinion. That may well be so but if they want to judge it down to the millimetre then they need better monitoring equipment to give the correct decision every time and without the delay we saw last night.

Super horns

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jul 26, 2008
Fair enough - it will still cause debate but then we cannot have everything.

Either people want the right decisions to be made over time or just keep having refs making errors and then ranting about it afterwards.

Apparently they are going to show VAR decisions on screens at the ground..

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
WFC4EVER":1yvl24se said:
Fair enough - it will still cause debate but then we cannot have everything.

Either people want the right decisions to be made over time or just keep having refs making errors and then ranting about it afterwards.

Apparently they are going to show VAR decisions on screens at the ground..

That would definitely be a step forward. At the cricket when the third umpire is reviewing a decision you see it on the big screen, so everything is transparent. I appreciate that many grounds don't have a big screen, though.

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
I didn't see the Schalke v City game last night, so I don't know if the VAR decisions were any good or not. However, I did watch Atletico v Juve and the whole thing (VAR) was a complete joke! This isn't football as I know it. Every time there was a dangerous cross into their box, one of the Juve defenders would collapse as if he had been shot, in the hope that VAR would be used if the ball ended up in the net. One Atletico goal was ruled out for exactly this.
But my point is, I couldn't care less if the correct decision is eventually reached (which, judging by the World Cup and last night, it clearly isn't), the game as a spectacle is being ruined by having celebrations cut short and then having to wait several minutes for what may or may not be the correct outcome.
Football was always a simple game where two teams of 11 tried to get the ball in each others' goal. This was officiated by a ref who sometimes got things wrong. We all moaned at these bad decisions, but accepted the human error and, most importantly, loved the game of football. This VAR is killing it. GET RID!!!

Sep 13, 2003
Lousy_Pint":55l69l2d said:
I didn't see the Schalke v City game last night, so I don't know if the VAR decisions were any good or not. However, I did watch Atletico v Juve and the whole thing (VAR) was a complete joke! This isn't football as I know it. Every time there was a dangerous cross into their box, one of the Juve defenders would collapse as if he had been shot, in the hope that VAR would be used if the ball ended up in the net. One Atletico goal was ruled out for exactly this.
But my point is, I couldn't care less if the correct decision is eventually reached (which, judging by the World Cup and last night, it clearly isn't), the game as a spectacle is being ruined by having celebrations cut short and then having to wait several minutes for what may or may not be the correct outcome.
Football was always a simple game where two teams of 11 tried to get the ball in each others' goal. This was officiated by a ref who sometimes got things wrong. We all moaned at these bad decisions, but accepted the human error and, most importantly, loved the game of football. This VAR is killing it. GET RID!!!

VAR worked at the World Cup I felt. Not sure why UEFA are making such a balls up of it. Doesn't bode well for the upcoming Euro 2020.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Two of Man City's 3 goals today would have been ruled out by VAR & Swansea would be in the semi final. It's absolutely ridiculous that some fixtures have it and some don't, it's not even as if the Liberty is a lower league ground, it's recently been a PL ground. Would be livid if I were Graham Potter.

Feb 23, 2009
So VAR comes down to millimetres but a player can take a throw in up to 3 or 4 yards from where the ball goes out of play.

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
VAR would have made a big difference in the Millwall v Brighton game yesterday. Brighton weren't given a clear penalty in the first half, a foul on their keeper which led to Millwall's first goal was missed, and a third goal for Brighton in extra time was wrongly given for offside. And Millwall probably wouldn't have got past Everton if it hadn't been for similarly generous refereeing in that game.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
And VAR over-ruled the red card that the ref gave Man Utd's Lindelof in their FA Cup match against Wolves on Saturday when it looked a clear red card to me. Lindelof was completely out of control when he made the tackle, sliding directly into the Wolves players standing led and taking him out completely. It certainly wasn't a clear mistake by the referee to show a red card. I suppose that one of the things VAR looks for is whether the player who commits the foul is wearing a Man Utd shirt...

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
The Doctor":1ja64dyt said:
And VAR over-ruled the red card that the ref gave Man Utd's Lindelof in their FA Cup match against Wolves on Saturday when it looked a clear red card to me. Lindelof was completely out of control when he made the tackle, sliding directly into the Wolves players standing led and taking him out completely. It certainly wasn't a clear mistake by the referee to show a red card. I suppose that one of the things VAR looks for is whether the player who commits the foul is wearing a Man Utd shirt...

Vindicate All Reds? :shock: